classicdmax

ANOTHER EXHAUST STACK QUESTION

classicdmax

ive seen alot of stack questions on this forum  and elsewhere on the web...sorry to do this again. id like to fab my own using polish stainless tubing which i can find at a fairly reasonable price. my question is concerning tubing diameter, and is a muffler needed for back pressure? 1" seams rather small, and not sure if 1-1/2" will do the trick

thanks for any input offered

i have a 73 16h auto, kohler k341

Ed Kennell

In most cases the backpressure is only a good thing at low RPM where the vacuum created behind each slug of exhaust can actually help extract the next slug increasing the low end torque.     With these governed engines that are normally operated near WOT, there is a steady stream of exhaust therefore back pressure is a bad thing robbing HP.

Go big.   :twocents-mytwocents:

• Like 3

Wildhorse
1 hour ago, classicdmax said:

ive seen alot of stack questions on this forum  and elsewhere on the web...sorry to do this again. id like to fab my own using polish stainless tubing which i can find at a fairly reasonable price. my question is concerning tubing diameter, and is a muffler needed for back pressure? 1" seams rather small, and not sure if 1-1/2" will do the trick

thanks for any input offered

i have a 73 16h auto, kohler k341

I have a 2 1/2" stack on my 58 and 65 looks good and not over the top plus sounds nice. 1 1/2" looked too small in my opinion but that's personal preference. Whatever looks good to you is the right one.

• Like 1

Wildside

1'' pipes, stainless and sound Awsome!!!

IMG_1125.JPG

• Like 2

classicdmax
8 hours ago, Wildhorse said:

I have a 2 1/2" stack on my 58 and 65 looks good and not over the top plus sounds nice. 1 1/2" looked too small in my opinion but that's personal preference. Whatever looks good to you is the right one.

I like the sound of using 2-1/2", any pics?

82Caddy

I have stacks like these:

28814986191_a3c8de800d_k.jpg

1" NPT threads.  Sounds pretty good.

I also have the same stack on a k341 and it sounds awesome.  Only difference is it has a 1.5" pipe on the inlet.

• Like 3

953 nut

I used a Harley Davidson muffler, Just used a 1" to 1 1/4" bell coupling and it slips right over the 1 1/4" pipe. Sounds soooooo goooood!

953 ans 400 at the fair.jpg

• Like 5

userj8670
21 hours ago, Wildside said:

1'' pipes, stainless and sound Awsome!!!

IMG_1125.JPG

Video please! 

Wildside

Trying to upload video.

• Like 1

userj8670
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Wildside said:

Trying to upload video.

Any luck?

classicdmax

I found 304 stainless threaded fittings on the web, thinking I might try to weld a piece of 2" polished stainless pipe to the 90deg fitting.

next question, any magic tricks out there to remove the existing threaded coupler from the head. Right now it seams to be pretty rusted in place. I've been spraying down with pb blaster the last couple days....am just afraid to throw a wrench on there and break break the head

Ed Kennell

Yeah, don't break the block.       Cut the nipple off close to the block, then use  a sawsall to cut a slot in the inside of the nipple. Then peel the corners in with a narrow chisel.   Use a pliers to turn it out.   Retap to clean up the threads.

• Like 1

Wildside

• Like 2

userj8670
20 minutes ago, Wildside said:

Thank you for posting!  Love it!!

classicdmax
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yeah, don't break the block.       Cut the nipple off close to the block, then use  a sawsall to cut a slot in the inside of the nipple. Then peel the corners in with a narrow chisel.   Use a pliers to turn it out.   Retap to clean up the threads.

What about getting and shavings/pieces of metal inside engine

Ed Kennell

This should not be a problem on the exhaust side of the engine.    You can use a vacuum and a magnet to clean out any metal chips.   Don't blow the chips in with air.

Wildhorse
On August 24, 2016 at 6:19 AM, classicdmax said:

I like the sound of using 2-1/2", any pics?

Here's a pic of the 655 with 2 1/2". It's a Gibson tip

image.jpeg