Mike's 520HC

266H starts but won't stay running

Mike's 520HC

I sold the 520HC earlier this year and acquired the 1995 266H.  Ran great up to last night.  Mowed, shut it off to clean the deck and it will start but won't stay running.  It will continue running if the starter is engaged, once starter disengages, it won't run.  Full tank, removed fuel cap to vent, I replaced the plugs, checked the fuel pump to ensure flow, checked all of the fuses, seat switched jumped, removed the float bowl and cleaned, check the operation of the fuel solenoid and cleaned it.  all fine.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

shallowwatersailor

Download the engine manual. Also check the Demystification Manual for the wiring in the different modes. Are you sure that it is getting spark when turning over with the starter? 

WHX??

Possible bad igniton switch??

Mike's 520HC

Funny, I was just looking at it again and thought maybe the ign. switch is bad.  I'll check it, but makes sense...getting spark in cranking position.  Thanks!!

cleat

Make sure the PTO switch is firmly off. If you were just mowing with it maybe it is not fully off ?

Also try removing the seat jumper. my little 210 shuts down with the seat switch jumped but stays running with it simply unplugged.

Just a thought.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
22 minutes ago, cleat said:

Make sure the PTO switch is firmly off. If you were just mowing with it maybe it is not fully off ?

That PTO switch issue happened to me as well...pushed it a tad and VVVRRROOOMMM...worth checking out!

• Like 1

Tuneup

My red-neck wired machine was very intermittent. After a few minutes of running, odd things would happen that cleared only when I jumped the battery to the (+) coil. I'd track the fault to wires hot to the touch everywhere - ignition switch, regulator, PTO and ammeter. A full rewire was warranted. The ignition switch was cleaned but later replaced, the ammeter was resistive, the regulator later puked and was a source of wire overheating when pumping out 17 VDC, and the PTO needed a good dis-assembly and cleaning. Welcome to the club!