Amcwheel85

Suburban front wheels

Amcwheel85

My front wheels on my suburban are rotted so bad most of the tube is showing... I cannot for the life of my find these exact wheels anywhere new or used... Anyone with any info on where to find 2 front wheels would be appreciated. Miller has front wheels but hub isn't wide enough and I don't wanna use spacers.. Thanks guys

GlenPettit

The metal front wheels they used in the early years were actually made for Wheelbarrows, but they tended to rust out if around salt, so many of the early suburbans has their front wheels replaced with wheels mades after '63.  The early wheels had 15/8" Hubs while the post-'63 had 11/2" Hubs (and were either better primed-painted or made of thicker metal, or both).

Other brands used those same early wheels (like Bolens) in the 50's, at Salvage yards, check out other brands tractors for those same wheels, and many wheeled objects from the 50's may have a perfect match, the size of the center Hub is the 'give-a-way'. 

Some new Wheelbarrow wheels being sold today will work, if you cut off 1" of hub from each side & reinstall the bearings.

• Like 2

RedRanger
On 8/22/2016 at 10:06 AM, Amcwheel85 said:

My front wheels on my suburban are rotted so bad most of the tube is showing... I cannot for the life of my find these exact wheels anywhere new or used... Anyone with any info on where to find 2 front wheels would be appreciated. Miller has front wheels but hub isn't wide enough and I don't wanna use spacers.. Thanks guys

I found a pair of like new front suburban wheels on Ebay by chance.  Seller had them listed as "old tractor wheels".  Didn't know what he had.

Other model rims are easier to find if you're willing to use spacers on the inside as you mentioned.  I didn't want to do that either.

Amcwheel85

Yea I might have too until I find the right wheels anyway...