jdleach

New C-175 Series I - Now the Work Begins

Sparky

I like it! Hopefully it'll run good for ya.

Mike....

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

JD, very nice specimen to start with, I will be following along. Best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 2

MountainTopHunter

Nice tractor JD. I love the sound of those twin cylinder Kohler's.  I have a C-175 identical to yours that I am in the process of restoring now.  I am putting the engine back together and doing the valve job this week.  

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!

Love the Black Hoods!

:ph34r:

• Like 2

woodchuckfarmer

A good wash job. A little wax job and a new seat and it will look like a different tractor.         hope it runs as good as it looks.    Wayne

• Like 4

Wheel-N-It

Good looking tractor. Very wise of you to give it a good cleaning first. It's no fun working on a nasty tractor that does not run.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

VERY nice C175.I've got a couple of them myself.Have fun with your new toy.PS Sure looks a whole lot better cleaned up.

• Like 2

TDF5G

Congrats on your new acquisition!  She looks very straight and solid and looks like it's going to be a worthwhile project.  I notice the rear fender pan has already been upgraded from the original plastic to later model steel.

I also like to clean things up before I start working on a project including the shop and floor!  It just makes it more enjoyable to dig into!  

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Yes, the Blackhood tractors look much better with the steel rear fender pan.

• Like 3

stratostar250

On the left side of the tractor, is that a lift indicator? That's pretty cool, I had a c-175 and mine didn't have one of those!

• Like 1

jdleach

Yup, that is the lift indicator for whatever is attached.

Have not posted for a few days, but I have not let the tractor languish either. Physically, I have done virtually nothing to the machine, other than to closely examine it. As I did so, I made an ever-growing list of items to purchase for the upcoming repairs and maintenance. Today, I plan to actually begin installing parts. 

The list of parts purchased thus far are:

1. Points and condenser.

2. Drive Belt.

3. Hydro cooling fan (blade broke to hell).

4. Plugs.

5. Air filter and pre-filter.

6. Hydro oil filter and oil.

7. Engine oil.

8. New tail lights (light lenses and housings all smashed, marker lights from NAPA are an almost exact match, although the single bulb models are no longer available, and the lens style is somewhat different).

9. Large bag of hair pin clips, machine screws, bolts, lock washers, etc., to replace the large variety of cotter pins, wire, nails, and missing fasteners on the tractor. As I did on my 312-8, the dash and tunnel panel screws are getting replaced with stainless steel fasteners of the same style.

10. Deck belt.

Will post more, along with photos as the work progresses. Just now remembered some items I still need, and am heading out to get them.

Edited by jdleach
  • Like 2

Tuneup

If you're like me, you'll be on a first name basis with everyone at Ace Hardware. Some days, you'll be there three times for this fastener and that washer. Good times.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

Let me suggest you buy a set of spark plug wires. A new set made a huge difference on a KT17 series 2 engine I had. They were OEM Kohler.

• Like 1

jdleach
16 hours ago, Tuneup said:

If you're like me, you'll be on a first name basis with everyone at Ace Hardware. Some days, you'll be there three times for this fastener and that washer. Good times.

Yeah, except I only get P.O.ed whenever I go to the local hardware stores, as they never have what I am looking for. We used to have an Ace just about a block from me, had everything. But they closed a few years ago. Thankfully, a Fastenal opened up and that is where I get a lot of may fasteners, washers, etc.

Forgot to mention, I also got a new battery, as there wasn't one in it.

Van: Went to get plug wires yesterday from NAPA, and found that wires are only available with the coil as a package. OEM Kohler price is a cool $219! Screw that.

Just did a quick search on Google, and did not find any wires sold separately, all were with a coil. To save the coin, I think I am going to just "roll my own" wires. 

19richie66

Nice. It will look great when refinished.

• Like 1

jdleach

This tractor, in a word, is an utter disaster. There just isn't much good about it. Around here, the local scrap yard is named Kroots.

This thing needs Krooted.

That said, I am not going to scrap it. I am now committed, just a bit (a lot) disappointed in its condition. The good thing about the tractor, is that it is almost entirely original. Original Series I engine, it has compression, and is a first year black hood (1980). This sort of goes along with my 1985 312-8, which is the first year for that series of tractor. To give an idea of the severe wear in the machine, I am having to replace almost all the hardware for the PTO. PTO brake is MIA, trunnion has grooves the depth of the Grand Canyon, and the clevis has the holes wallowed out damn near large enough to drop a quarter through.  And that is just the PTO. At least he PTO bearings are good, and the radius rod is serviceable.

Will try to post photos of progress in another post tomorrow, or Labor Day.

Wheel-N-It
On 8/28/2016 at 1:13 PM, jdleach said:

Van: Went to get plug wires yesterday from NAPA, and found that wires are only available with the coil as a package. OEM Kohler price is a cool $219! Screw that.

Just did a quick search on Google, and did not find any wires sold separately, all were with a coil. To save the coin, I think I am going to just "roll my own" wires. 

Dang, sorry to hear that JD. The two wires were available as a pair back a few years ago but the were kinda pricey at $45 for the pair. I can understand not wanting to spend the $219. 

Sounds to me like you'll be sitting in the shop rolling a couple more. ;)

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Looks like a nice project tractor. I never had a Blackhood. Maybe someday.

• Like 1

Sarge

Sounds like a perfect time for some welding practice and rebuild those parts . 7014 rod , 3/32" diameter is great for filling in worn spots - die grinder fixes the rest . I usually tig all mine after blasting and use a tool steel filler rod - helps stop the wear issue in it's tracks and if possible I machine bushings out of steel or brass depending upon the part . Good coat of stainless paint replaces zinc coatings well ...

Sarge

• Like 1

jdleach

Exactly Sarge.

I am fortunate in that I still own the old family machine shop. Closed it back in 1998, but have it all set up at another property I own. Got 2 wire feed welders, an Airco Dip Pak 200, and a Westinghouse from the '50s. A Hobart stick welder, the old "bomb" type, 200 amp, 1937. Still does a beautiful job. Lastly, got a Miller 200 amp TIG, water cooled, and recently completely gone through. Shop is all manual, no digital readouts, and the machines are obsolete, but still accurate. Four lathes, 3 mills, 2 shapers, surface grinder, 3 drill presses, punch press, 2 hydraulic presses, 3 saws, and an aluminum molding room. Can also do upholstery.

Getting ready now to load up the 312-8 onto the trailer, along with some pieces from the C-175 to repair, and heading out there for a few hours. Will get some mowing done, and a few other chores.

The issue with all the wear and breakage in the C-175, is that it really ticks me off how folks will abuse the things that work hardest for them. It is so unnecessary. Too, after 30+ years as a machinist and toolmaker, I get kinda tired of fixing crap. Often, it isn't much of a challenge anymore. I see something worn or broke, I usually know exactly how it needs to be addressed. It becomes: "Oh Great! I have to fire up the compressor, die grind out that crack, apply whatever rod, which means dragging out one of the welders. Thread, mill, turn it. Then prep and paint." By the time I run all the steps through my head, I am ready to go down to the local Toro dealer, and just order the part.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
3 hours ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Looks like a nice project tractor. I never had a Blackhood. Maybe someday.

Jack, you've got your 416 and now a 520. You can check them off the list and start looking for a Blackhood now.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

...and start looking for a Blackhood now.

:text-yeahthat:

:ph34r:

• Like 1

jdleach

After looking closely at the construction of my C-175, I can only say that the blackhoods are about the epitome of Wheel Horse design and construction.

Consider: Last series with a die cast dash, the hood design and stamping is complex and well done, it has all the improvements found in the number series that followed, top-line trannys and frames, belting, and except for the Series I Kohlers, the best engines.

There was a tremendous amount of engineering that went into these machines. I am glad I own one.

• Like 2