NewGuy

NEED HELP

NewGuy

I've got a Toro Wheelhorse model 41200e02  serial #1033274

It has the 20hp Onan engine. Starter went out a couple weeks ago, finally got the new one. Put it in, now it won't turn over by the ignition but if I jump a wire from the power to the ignition switch post on the solenoid it will start. But it will only run for about 5 seconds. Smooth as can be, then shuts off. Will start back up immediately and do the same thing repeatedly.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks in advance

KC9KAS

@NewGuy :WRS:

Sounds like 2 separate problems.

I think your carburetor needs cleaned for the running problem.

Download the manual for your tractor (from our manuals section) ad check the wiring to be sure everything is in the proper place.

Make sure all connections...including battery & ground connection are clean & tight.

• Like 1

NewGuy

The mower actually belongs to a friend, I just work on it. I tried tracing wires but I didn't have my multimeter so I couldn't accurately test anything. Next time I mess with it I will clean the carb and take my multimeter. The fact that it will only start with the key in the on position leads me to believe that the ignition is functioning properly. Just need to see where the signal stops. Thanks again. Never worked on one of these things and the look very complicated but I guess not.

Edited by NewGuy
  • Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:       You never said what year and model you are working on. Could be low on engine oil (that has a cut out), could be the PTO or clutch safety switch. 

AMC RULES

:text-welcomewave:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Dirtdog524

Inspect and clean your fuse holder. It corrodes with grass and debris. Look for a 9-pin connector, which is white in color. Make sure that none of the contacts are burnt.

KC9KAS
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:       You never said what year and model you are working on. Could be low on engine oil (that has a cut out), could be the PTO or clutch safety switch. 

1991 520 H....these are notorious for bad connections and blown fuses due to corrosion in the 9 pin connector.

boomers_influence

new

guy

see if you have voltage at the + side

of the coil when you are cranking.

thank you. boomer

• Like 1