snowhound

GT 2500 won't move

snowhound

Recently picked up a GT 2500 that doesn't move, I've checked the shifter and and it is in the slides correctly.  With it in 1st. once and a while something will catch and it will lunge a little but doesn't move which makes me think it is a sheared pin.  Anyone have any idea whar could be sheared and how big of a job it is to fix?  I do have a 1142 that could be a transmission donor.

Ed

N3PUY

See if the axle is spinning in a hub.

• Like 2

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Yea, check both hubs. It only takes one sheared key to stop the tractor. If they are OK then check the input pulley key. You can get new keys at any hardware store and they are easy to replace.  :)

• Like 2

snowhound

Thanks for the replies, the axles aren't spinning in the hubs and the input key is good.  This is what I have found out, if i leave it in gear for a little while, maybe 20 to 30

seconds something catches and the tractor will move for a sort distance then there is a soft snapping sound in the transmission and the tractor stops.  Due to that I feel there is something sheared in the transmission.  I've been offered an 8 speed from a Raider 9 but I don't know if it's compatible with the GT 2500 if not I'll pull the one from the 1142.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Ed

oldredrider

The transmission from the 1142 is exactly the same model  (5086) and is a direct swap. Easy 1 hour job.

• Like 2

snowhound

Thanks for the reply Paul, that is good news I really didn't want to start using the 1142 as a donor I hope to get it going over the coming winter.

Ed

Tuneup

You have a replacement handy and now can fiddle with gears while the snow flies. It's all good.