jdleach

Rim Sizes for 300-500 Series Tractors

jdleach

I am sure this has been posted, but I am lazy this morning (raining outside), and want to ask anyway. :D

The rear rims on the 300 to 500 series tractors are all the same, and can accept tire sizes of 22 X 7.50 up to 23 X 9.50, correct?

And, that the front rims came in two sizes, 6 or 8 inch, and accepted 15 X 6.00 rubber in the 6 inch version, and 16 X 6.50 in the 8 inch one?

For all my mechanical ability, tires were something I never got into, and for some strange reason, never quite got a handle on.

Edited by jdleach

KC9KAS

So...are you asking a question or just making statements?

jdleach

Asking a question. As stated, tire and rim sizes get goofy as far as I am concerned. Vintage tractor tire sizes are really confusing, and I figured these were likely the same way. Rim diameter is pretty straightforward, but widths and heights not so much.

gwest_ca

Rim widths are the most misunderstood.

The rim width is the distance between the lips the tire beads seat against when inflated. A 7" rim is 7-5/8" to 7-3/4" in overall width.

The standard 300-Series rim is 7" wide for the 8.50 tires. I believe some of the larger models use a 8" rim for 9.50 tires.

The wheel differences between tractor makes includes the rim offset. That is where the wheel center is located in the rim.

Garry

• Like 2

jdleach

Thank you Garry, that is exactly the information I was looking for. Now, I know I am safe in getting another set of 300 rear rims, and installing Carlisle cleated tires, 23 X 8.50-12, and should probably look for 400 series rims  if I decide on 23 X 9.50.

• Like 1

Detector

I was curious about rim sizes, my 90 312-H has 9.5" on the rear, the previous owner said they were the original tires when he bought it new, so looking for tires all the websites say 8.5" for my year/model, so I looked in the owners manual and it states 23 X 9.5-12, I'm assuming I have a 8" rims

Edited by Detector

bmsgaffer

My understanding is that all C series, 300, 400 and 500 series (except a few xxxC commercial versions and the 1991+ 520H) came with 7.5" rear rims that accepted an 8.5-9.5" tire. I have had tractors with both. 

The 1991+ 520H and the commercial versions came with 8.5" rear wheels fitted with 10.5" wide tires.

And i believe that you are correct about the fronts.

• Like 1