diamondred

'82 C-85 Voltage Regulator problems...

diamondred

I getting high enough AC from the stator, but battery won't charge. I haven't gone through the wiring yet and done minimal  trouble shooting...  My question is, are these voltage regulators a series regulation, or a shunt type regulation?

Edited by diamondred
wrong year

953 nut

The term Voltage Regulator is somewhat of a misnomer, they are basically a diode that converts 36 Volts AC to about 14 volts pulsating DC. Clean and tighten all electrical connections including the mounting point of the regulator and all other grounds and see that the battery voltage reads while running. Be sure to check all fuses and holders too.

• Like 1

RubyCon1

Series.

this may help

gwest_ca

One thing you should do before you pull things apart.

Check the voltage across the battery posts.

Now move the red test lead to the DC+ terminal of the regulator.

You should have the same voltage reading. If you don't the path the charge current takes to get to the battery is compromised.

The body of the regulator requires a good ground to the battery negative for it to function.

Garry

• Like 1

diamondred

Ok , thanks for the help everyone. Seems there was a genius in here before me...lol. Best part the regulator is good and I temporary got it to charge, it's staying around 14 volts. I just need to go through it and crimp new connections. The main stator 3 prong connector was toast. One more project.

• Like 1

Tuneup

Mine was opposite. The regulator just let the DC rise and compromised the wiring. I last measured close to 18 VDC. All the wires showed overheated insulation and had to be replaced.