Jump to content
TDF5G

ZIP TIES ON STRING TRIMMER

Recommended Posts

Recently I've heard of people using plastic zip ties on their string trimmers instead of the line.  I've been asking around and haven't found anyone personally that has tried it.  Supposed to be cost saving.  I'm checking out youtube videos right now.  I'm thinking I might give it a whirl. (bad pun :D)

 

Has anyone tried this?  Pros and cons?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that zip  ties would be too thin. I buy my trimmer string from HB . I use the square string , it lasts a lot longer .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched a few videos on youtube this afternoon.  It seems that your guess is right.  The zip ties seem too thin and break after just a little use especially against concrete.   I can imagine what a fence would do to them.  In one video a guy did have better success with some heavier zip ties and even against a brick wall.  I'm finding also that, the zip tie method is kind of a last resort or backup  thing if you run out of string.

 

I'm thinking this myth is busted.

busted.jpeg

Edited by TDF5G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using this line and it is lasting me 2 times longer than the previous line.

 



 

magnum-gatorline-dual-WEB217762-lrg.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

I have been using this line and it is lasting me 2 times longer than the previous line.

 



 

magnum-gatorline-dual-WEB217762-lrg.jpg

 

Just now, Jerry77 said:

 

Excuse the previous post of mine - I just kind of dumbed out there for a second...wanted to ask the gauge of the gator line.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TDF5G said:

I've watched a few videos on youtube this afternoon.  It seems that your guess is right.  The zip ties seem too thin and break after just a little use especially against concrete.   I can imagine what a fence would do to them.  In one video a guy did have better success with some heavier zip ties and even against a brick wall.  I'm finding also that, the zip tie method is kind of a last resort or backup  thing if you run out of string.

 

I'm thinking this myth is busted, but plausible.

busted.jpeg

 

 

I tried it and even with REALLY thick ones they snapped right off. And they HURT when the pieces hit you

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:57 PM, Jerry77 said:

 

Excuse the previous post of mine - I just kind of dumbed out there for a second...wanted to ask the gauge of the gator line.....

My string isn't round like the one I posted...just noticed that.

I think it is 0.080 or 0.095 don't remember. They make multiple sizes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×