toma

522xi Electrical Problem

toma

Hi All... I have a New Holland GT22A (Toro/Wheel Horse) 522XI lawn tractor with an electrical problem. The check battery light started coming on (and staying on) most of the time. It does go out for short periods of time. I checked the battery with a voltage meter and it is charging. I checked all the wires around the engine and found that when I press on the wires entering a small plastic box(or module) mounted on the fire wall(next to the relays) the battery check light goes out. It must be a broken wire or bad connection at the box. Can anyone tell me what this box(or electrical module) is used for?  I don't want to go cutting wires if this is a important or hard to locate part. The module has 4 wires entering from the bottom 1 orange, 2 red(connected together, and one black. The top reads: 1902 EV2  Thanks, Tom

shallowwatersailor

It is the electrical module that senses voltage. Toro used it on the Kohler 5xi tractors and the 264/400XT tractors . Like you found out , the battery is still being charged. It is epoxy sealed and evidently a component/connection breaks down.

• Like 1

doc724

John and I have both had the same problem with that sensor.  I have tried to find the sensor OEM but no luck.  Toro wants $80 for the sensor so I just put up with the light being on all the time (or I could take out the bulb)

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Same here, I just ignore it

My 522xi works correctly, the GT-22A stays on.

toma

Since this sensor is epoxy sealed do you think its the sensor itself or the wires/connections leading to it? When I put pressure on the wires with my finger the light goes out. Im thinking about trying to release the wire connections from the bottom(unsealed half) of the sensor and redo them? Has anyone tried this? Tom

doc724

I have not tried this myself, but I think that when you put pressure on the wires, you are creating an open circuit.  The sensor is nothing more than a simple comparator with alt. voltage on one side and a voltage divider on the other.  There is likely an internal short and squeezing the wire eliminates the short.

Luvtomow

I have a similar problem with my 522. Battery light comes and goes. When PTO is engaged I can mow for 10 min or so then engine bogs down,wants to die. If I shut off PTO, back to running strong. Does anyone know resistance specs for electric clutch and procedure for checking?

Berco

i had a similar problem. it happened shortly before my battery died. I noticed that the old one did not have the correct CCA, but about half the requirement.