mustang1970

onan temperature buzzer

mustang1970

Has anyone installed a buzzer or horn to the temperature indicator circuit on a 520 tractor. I have a great 520H that works hard,  at times the engine temperature light will come on I would like to add a audible warning to that circuit 

DougC

I would remove the engine shroud and just clean the dickens out of the fins on the engine and around the lower part of oil pan and everywhere for that matter before you burn that Onan up....... Parts for those are very expensive and replacement engines if you can find any are very high dollar as well

And while your at it remove the seat and seat pan and clean out the hydro as well. I just did both cleanings to my old 88 520H with almost 1400 hours because my hydro temp light was coming on after about an hour in 70 degree F temp. Now all is good. no temp lights lots more airflow coming out of engine and hydro. It's a pain in the @ss to do, but it needs to be done!    :twocents-02cents:

mustang1970

I removed the cooling tins found no accumulation of debris , completely serviced the tractor over the winter as It has 1900 hrs of good work  I also relocated the oil filter sealed the original filter opening,added a 4 core  oil cooler mounted in front of the air intake. This increased the oil capacity to 4 quarts. This tractor works hard with a 60: deck 

• Like 1

DougC

Perhaps a new engine temp. switch is in order. Sounds like you did what was due. It has to be a sensor problem at this stage or chaffed wire.

The temp light should not be coming on at all in your case!   :)

Tuneup

Not an Onan guy but is preheating the engine cooling air with the oil cooler a good thing? VW paid a high price for this approach on the Transporter for those that care. #3 burned out regularly as the cooler air went through the oil cooler first with that cylinder. For us old VW builders, placing an aux cooler in front of the intake stream was an overheat risk.

Just sayin...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• lsc1257
      By lsc1257
      I have a 1996 520H Wheel Horse for sale.  The tractor has just over 800 hours on it.  It comes with a 48 inch deck.  The deck is a 1995 and has over 1,500 hours on it, as it came brand new with my 312-8 that I sold several years ago.  This 520-H has the swept front axle so it can handle a 60 inch deck.  I just replaced the battery and the deck belt this summer.  The engine is a 20HP Onan and it starts right up but requires the full choke.  The transmission is an Eaton 1100-062, hydrostatic.  The deck is in rough shape but the spindles appear to be in good working order.  The right rear tire has some cracking.  The original operator's manual for the 520H is included, as is the original operating and maintenance instructions for the deck, plus the installation instructions for the deck.  Also included is a new PTO belt and several miscellaneous deck wheels and rollers.  Additional pictures available upon request.  Asking $500.

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Onan model BF-MS2425A Engine for parts. This engine pulled from NOS Bolens QT16 tractor that sat for 40+ years. Engine has less than 25 hours on it. Engine currently stuck. Local pick up in  Easton  MA.  $49  or offer.

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Wheel Horse
      Service Tool Kit
      Onan Industrial Engines
      ON-420-0556

Kit is missing oil filter tool, otherwise complete. Tools in excellent condition. Small crack in plastic case, bottom, middle. 

$129 plus shipping cost.

Message me if you are interested in purchasing. Thank you. Joe

• SPINJIM
      By SPINJIM
      1992, Wheel Horse 520-H.   Onan overhauled: New rings, cylinders honed, valves lapped, new carb., new seals and filters, new fuel lines and primer bulb for easy starts.  Seat is like new.  Front tires are new.  All tires hold air.  Some repainting, but didn't need much; was stored indoors.  New decals.  Other new parts.
      Has swept front axle and Variable Ratio Steering.  Belt cover ventilated to cool back cylinder.  Rear wheel weights are 55 lbs. each.  

• odee61
      By odee61
      Will the PTO work from the 312 Hydro with a 12 hp Kohler onto the 416-8 Onan?  My PTO disc went today. Any help would be most appreciated.