cafoose

Tiller recommendations

cafoose

I was thinking of getting a tiller for one of my horses. I have an 876 8 horse Kohler, C-120 12 horse Kohler, and a 520HC Onan. Which tractor should I use the tiller on and if I get one can I switch it between all my tractors? If anyone near York, PA has one for sale let me know, thanks.

stevasaurus

If the C-120 is a manual transmission...I would go with that.  You would probably use the low range and either 1st or 2nd gear to do the tilling.  I'm sure the hydros would be alright, but if you are doing a bunch to tilling...the manual 8 speed is going to be the best.  :)

With the 3 horses you list, I don't think a tiller would be inter-changeable. 

Edited by stevasaurus

cafoose

All mine are hydro so I guess I need another horse!:handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??

I have a 36"  one on my 520 and the Onan doesn't even know its ther but Steve does have a point about ground engageing stuff and mauals that one can't argue. No you would not be able to use on on all three unless you get real creative with some custom mounts. They weigh quite abit so make sure your rock shaft & cable are in good shape and always use a lift assist spring. The same tiller should work on any 3/4/500 series tractor.

20151114_175937.jpg

20151115_094327.jpg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Jim's right...these horses were made to do this kind of work and any one of the ones you have would be OK for sure.  I was just sayin' if the C-120 was a manual transmission...that is the one you want to use.   Another reason to equip the C-120...you might find a tiller for that easier...might be less money then for the 520...and if you decide to sell it, I think you will have a larger market. 

Is that a great picture of Jim trying to keep his lines straight of what??  :ROTF:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

Racinbob

I agree with the C-120. I've never tilled with a hydro but did a ton on a manual. The tiller really wants to push the tractor and the manuals hold it back better. The same tiller will work on the C-120 and 520. You could try it out on both of them and decide what you like the best. :)

• Like 1

can whlvr

ive tilled with both manual and hydros,as was recommened here on red square don't put it on a hydro if you have a choice,i did and regreted it,it doesn't work nearly as well as on the gear machines,the hydro lift was nice,and if you r just tilling already worked soil the hydro works ok but I wouldn't personally put a tiller on a hydro again

ba2988

Absolutely nothing wrong with using this with a hydro.  I till with mine using a 520h with Matt's foot pedal conversion kit and it performs flawlessly.  I have also used tilled with my 314 and that worked well too.

• Like 1

Tim

8 speeds are better for tilling as you get more consistent speed pass to pass.  That being said tillers are heavy to pick up manually.  

I have a 25X30 garden.   8 speed c160 is my choice for a tiller tractor.   

I know way more hp than needed

cleat

A hydro with Matt's kit works good, a hydro setup like Wheel Horse did from the factory is a bear as you are always adjusting the speed.

Another reason to convert all hydro's to Matt's kit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Bill Winn
      By Bill Winn
      For sale. 1981 WH C-175 Kohler twin series 1

1. Tractor has brand new ag tires all the way around, brand new seat, new points and condenser, new rear blade quick attach bracket, lights have been rewired with LEDs, it has a brand new lift cable and bracket,seat pan is from a 410... it's surface rusted but at least it isn't busted up like the oem plastic one, starts and runs but smokes a bit on startup if it's been sitting for months but she runs smooth and strong.

2. Tiller is like new. It had been used only about once when I bought it and now it has been used 4 times more. Tines still have much of the factory paint on them.

3. 42" mower deck works perfectly, 4. snow blade was/ is rough but I repaired it so it is quite functional,

4. Brand new rear grader blade,

5. Wheel Horse brand plow,

6. Wheel Horse brand disc- I added a piece of motorgrader blade for a drag. I also welded a post to the top to hold weights,

7. Wheel Horse brand cultivator,

8. Home built furrower. (Makes good rows)

The original Wheel Horse plow/disc/cultivator originally came as a modular kit and in order to use it the draw bar and clevis hitch had to be swapped back and forth. (big pain) I fabricated draw bars and hitches onto each piece so this is no longer necessary.
      I think this is a fair asking price at $2200 for all.

• oliver2-44
      By oliver2-44
      Anyone have any Troy Bilt  Pony Tiller Gear Box Experience?

So about a year ago an older neighbor gave me this Troy Bilt Pony Rear Tine tiller.  Said he forgot he drained the engine oil and started it.  Bore diameter was actually good, but has a bunch of large vertical scars on cylinder walls.
      Fast forward, my wife has volunteered us to help a Youth Summer Camp that runs an  "Outdoor School" during the 9mth  school year.  They had a fairly large garden for several years, but it has been neglected & overgrown for a couple of years.  So she drives past this neglected garden daily! 
      There's some scheme emerging where we have half the garden to ourselves and help with the other half where students will plant and weed and pick their produce.  I enjoy a garden, but not real keen on some of the aspects on this one...( a bunch of 6" high raised beds with paths to narrow for my big feet to turn sideways. But I've already been committed, O I mean volunteered.  

So engine is shot (aluminum block)  but I have a Predator or a K181 I could put on it. 
      The wheel shaft seals looked shot and had a bunch of play so brass wheel bushings were shot. (the other 2 shafts have tapered roller bearings).  
      No model number, but from the "Pxxxxx" serial number and Briggs engine I've dated it to a 1981.  
      MTD now owns Troy Bilt and their "on-line manuals" go back to 2000.  Called their Tech Supports and got "Deer in the Headlite" comments regarding a 1981 Service Manual. 
      Searched online and founds lots more info on the larger "Horse" model, and a 1991  Pony service manual.  
      While they basically look the same, there's been several generations of re-engineering the internals to simplify manufacturing and eliminate castings it appears.
      I found this parts diagram to be the close's match to what I have.  
      https://www.partstree.com/models/20462-troy-bilt-pony-i-rear-tine-tiller-sn-p001001-p101750/wheel-tiller-shaft-assemblies-7/
      I disassembled it and I think I marked everything as to what faced the front, back or R,L side.  Internals looked OK, but the wheel shaft seal area is not the greatest. 
      Most parts are NLA but found bearing. seals & bushings on ebay. $130
      Reassembled everything and used the 1991 Service Manual as a "Guide" to shimming the 3 shafts end play.
      Everything turn freely in both directions when in neutral. But when I engage the Wheel Shaft "Clutch" it binds up. The clutch lets the wheels roll freely or engages them to power.  It uses belt idlers to reverse direction from a second shaft on the briggs (like a walk behind snow blower drive)  
      photo from phone here 
      This internal clutch actually works by using a pawl disc which is keyed to the shaft to engage the wheel

shaft gear which is free wheeling on the shaft. 
      I've loosened the bolt on the bearing end caps slightly and no change.
      This uses worm gears and I know "some" worm gears are designed where they must be "power driven"  in each direction (My boat lift is like this)   
      So the rear tine gear shaft turn freely in each direction.
      The wheel shaft locks up when the clutch is engaged amd trying to turn it in what would be the forward direction.  But it will turn freely with the clutch engaged if going in the backwards direction.
      The wheel shaft gear cannot be turned backwards because of the clutch mechanism on the one side.
      The rear tine shaft bevel gear turn freely in both direction in neutral but is bound up when the clutch on the wheel shaft is engaged.??
      There is a Main Drive Shaft that has the Worm Gears on it to drive the Wheel Gear and a second worm to drive the Tines Gear.
      https://www.partstree.com/models/20462-troy-bilt-pony-i-rear-tine-tiller-sn-p001001-p101750/main-drive-shaft-gear-assemblies-4/

This shaft is made up of a smooth shaft with the worms keyed to it and spacers in between them.  I disassembled it (and carefully laid out each piece in order) to wire brush everything clean on the grinder as there was some rust from water in the very bottom of the gearbox. 
      I find it hard to believe that I could have one of the worms backwards because it seems it would not turn freely when the wheel clutch is not engaged??
      To remove it I have to disassemble everything and might ruin my seals as I have to drive them out. (dumb me, I tested everything to turn freely before I installed the seals, BUT I didn't engage the clutch)

Just a note,, I didn't try to turn everything with the "clutch engaged" "Before" I disassembled it so I don't know how hard it should turn, but it had to turn via a belt drive verse's now totally locking up. 
      Regrettable a nonworking tiller doesn't get me out being volunteered. 
      Did I say I actually enjoy a garden! 
      Thanks for any suggestions and listening to my rant.   

This is the input shaft from belt pulley

Special woodruff key

Tiller Tine Shaft

Some one was in here before me. These are threaded holes with removable set screws to drive the bearing cone out. No set screws just filled with caulk or body putty. 
    • wh315-8
      By wh315-8
      Anyone be able to measure out the Top Link Bar for the 50” D Series Tiller?
      Just finished rebuilding a tiller, have a adjustable type but would like to put a original type on like the manual has listed.

• wh315-8
      By wh315-8
      My 50” D-series tiller input shaft has like 3/16” +\-, play pulling in or out. Anyone else have this same thing. Is it supposed to have that much play? Have it all apart and was thinking of adding a shim or 2nd thrust bearing to lessen the play to at least 1/16”.

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Bolens FMC 33" Rear Mounted Rotary Tiller, New Old Stock, Model number 18093 02. Includes tiller, drive shaft, mounting brackets and hardware.

Fits Bolens large frame lawn and garden tractors.  Drive shaft length changes with tractor model. Contact me for further information. 

Price reduced to $449. Local pickup in Easton MA. Or, I may be able to deliver to southern New England, Eastern  NY, or Bridgewater NJ area. Message me with any questions.

Thank you,
      Joe