Sign in to follow this  
eddy

eddy

new to w.horse, picked up a 654 and want to restore it, needs new tires and would like to keep the origional type, would like to know where to find them

thanks

ed

TR_DIGGER

:hide: And enjoy this Site, I have no idea where to find the origional type, but someone here may know. Have Fun with your horseand again :D

HorseFixer

:D eddy, in the top forum there is a link section with lots of good info, scroll down the page and there is some good links to Tire Guys. Click link below. Good Luck :hide:

Red Square Links Page

TT

Here's the rears: LINK

My local GoodYear dealer carries an off-brand 4.00 - 8 tire that would work great on the front of the round hoods but I can't remember the brand. Check with your local tire dealers and see what they have to offer. You won't find an exact replacement, but there are many similar tires available. (just don't get wheelbarrow tires)

:hide:

ironcitymadman

. (just don't get wheelbarrow tires)

Just curious as to why? :hide: Looks or perfomance? Am looking to get new tires for my 400 and probably going with sawtooth pattern.

TT

"Sawtooth" tread tires are a good replacement for most of the original fronts used on a lot of the round hoods, although some of the Generals had straight grooves.

08-837.gif

The wheelbarrow tires that I referred to above are the rounded ones that look like heavy inner tubes with straight grooves around them. They just don't look right on the front of a Wheel Horse and are obviously incorrect.

ply-wheelbarrow-tire-3456.jpg

TJ

I am just about finished with my my 654 restoration. It has been a fun project.

Just a word of advice: Take a lot of detail pictures before you tear it down. They make good reference material when you start putting it all back together again.

Have fun and :hide: .

Michael Bullington

hey Tj and eddy post pics,,,as you can see I love the 654 model...just look at my avaitar :hide:

TJ

hey Tj and eddy post pics,,,as you can see I love the 654 model...just look at my avaitar :D

I plan on posting before and after pictures, but I'm still computer illiterate.

If I don't figure it out soon, I'm going to have a friend do it for me. :hide:

eddy

thanks for all the info. i do have lots of picks but i do not know how to upload them.

ed

Duff

Hi, Eddy! :D

I see from your profile you're just up the road apiece in Jericho, VT. I'm in West Leb., NH down by White River Jct.. Glad you found us! Great place here and lots of good advice. Oh, and as you may have figured....

:hide:

Duff :hide:

Sparky

Here ya go Ed. What I did was get the courser over the IMG code under the pic I wanted to post. Then left click it to turn it blue then right click it and choose "copy". Then in this post I right clicked and choose "paste" and it magically appears :hide: .

Mike.......

654001.jpg

654003.jpg

654009.jpg

654004.jpg

TT

Ed, all you need to do is paste the IMG code from Photobucket in to your post. (I'd do it for you, but I have no idea what pictures to put on here.)

That is an excellent and well preserved 654!

As far as the tractor goes..... I personally would leave it as-is and not restore it. (but that's me and it's not mine.)

Even though it has been shortblocked - as 90% of the Tecumseh-powered machines from that era have - it is very correct and original otherwise, and anyone can have a shiny "restored" :D tractor. Original examples are getting harder to find, and they are the only "correct" tractors out there as far as certain things are concerned. (decals, etc.) Once you make it bright shiny red with new decals it will loose its "personality" and become just another "restored" tractor. :hide:

Rollerman

Eddy I'm going to side with TT on your 654!

Thats a nice little tractor...right down to the flywheel cover & original fasteners. :hide:

Michael Bullington

:omg: :D nice tractor!!! one of my favorite models :hide: Looks like someone has modified the starting system...easy fix :hide: