Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Front deck carrier

Sparky

I stumbled across a Wheel Horse front deck carrier with a ruff looking 42" SD deck for sale. I dont really have any use for it but thought it was a cool looking attachment to have in a collection. I didnt have a camera handy but it was complete and included the extra pulley that mounts to the mid tach-a-matic. Still had most of its red paint.

Can anyone give me some kind of ballpark what it might be worth?

Mike......

Docwheelhorse

I'd say its worth at least $3000.... :banana:

Butch

What was the purpose of these decks when you had the under belly mowers? To look at that contraption it would appear to me to cost more money. However you would be able to mow closer to something . I could see where it might be more maneuverable. I've also seen those towable mowers that have their own engines? Why those? To me you would use the scissor/gang type mower. :hide:

TT

First and foremost, you can mow under trees and around split-rail fences, etc. without scraping up the tractor.

Other than the two little front carriage wheels, no grass is being run down before it is cut - resulting in a much nicer after-cut appearance.

A deck placed out in front allows the operator a much better view of what is happening and where the mower is cutting - unless it's being used as a brush hog. :hide:

The self-powered pull-behind units seem to have been produced specifically for ATV owners. They also come in handy for older tractors that have lost their decks to damage or rust and replacements are no longer available. I have also seen them used to increase the cutting swath of a riding mower by offsetting them to one side. This cuts down drastically on mowing time.

The gang mowers you mentioned are a group of reel mowers, which are normally only capable of a cutting height of 2 inches or less. (Some of ours at work are actually set at .105" !) They work best in good grass on smoother ground and are no good for brush mowing of any sort. They also require much more maintenance and upkeep than a conventional rotary mower, and specialized tools and machinery for sharpening and setting the height of cut.

Butch

:hide: :D:hide::omg::omg: :D

C-Series14

I had one and it was a neat attachment, got alot of looks! But the only problem was when you mowed around trees that were landscaped. The mower deck would follow the circle around the tree but the rear wheels would ride in the mulch or bush. Couldn't cut too sharp of a turn in other words. But that was not bad, it was nice mowing under trees and bushes that were not landscaped.

jerrell

:hide: boy i love the toro groundmaster, i can mow twice as fast and easier with the mower out front, easier to see, control and it does a fantastic job. i have a 48 " on the c175 but this thing can run circles around it, BUT it cannot plow or till, and i like sitting up higher to see any thing that might get hit or caught in the mower. the two horses i have will be tilling and plowing and pushing dirt and things around :D