kudzu3

Parking brake rattle ?

kudzu3

The parking brake lever on my '69 charger has a loud, annoying rattle. Is this normal, or is there a fix for it. Thanks

squonk

I'm assuming this lever is the same lever that engages the belt? If so the linkage has a pivot point that gets worn out. The hole in one half gets wallowed out and the pin in the other half gets worn down. I weld the hole shut and redrill it. I buzz off the worn pin and weld on a new one and add a wave washer to help take out any slop.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

I had the same issue with my Bronco 14 and hooked up an external spring...see pic.  I know that the Chg 12 lever is a bit different, but you MAY be able to do something like this.

spring 001.JPG

• Like 1

SPINJIM

If your talking about the lever that locks the brake pedal, yes it does get loose after some wear.   I added a 'wavey' washer or a thrust washer to it, and it helped a lot.  Also, make sure you have the spring attached that holds it in the released position.

Jim

chorusguy

One of my c160s has a plastic strip that lines the opening and that keeps it quiet.  My other one doesn't and it drives me crazy.  Thanks for the suggestions.  

kudzu3

Looks like I got two choices...fix it right (as squonk suggested), or try something else :unsure:. I just don't have the ability to do it right, as I would prefer, so I guess I'll try to get in there and add some washers. Until then, I may add a spring or try lining the opening, maybe with door guard trim, or both. Thank you all :handgestures-thumbupright:

kudzu3

Update...Took the cover off and the play seemed to be everywhere. After a lot of wiggling, shaking pushing and such, I decided that all the linkage is just loose. Took the pulley off and put a spacer between the two levers, that it is connected to ( wish I knew the correct terminology, sorry). Put it back together, the rattle was gone, but the lever was too tight, it wouldn't work. Took it apart again and found that the pulley bolt can't be tightened completely or nothing works, is this normal? I loosened the pulley bolt some , put it all back and all is well, the brake works as it should with no rattle at all. My question now is, is it okay for the pulley bolt to be a little loose? It seems the only way for everything to work right. Thanks 

squonk

Sounds like the pulley bearing may have too much side to side slop in it.

kudzu3

I checked the pulley bearing, it's tight. Apparently the p o recently put a new pulley on there, looks new, has ace hardware sticker and is tight as new. I took the pulley off and held everything together and all seems well, but when I put it back together and tighten the bolt, everything tightens up and won't work, seems like something may be missing :think:. Can someone point me in the direction of a manual or something, I guess I may need a picture :thanks:

gwest_ca

Garry

kudzu3

Thanks Garry, I finally found a schematic and seems like everything is there. I'm thinking that the spacer behind the pulley is worn just enough to allow it to get close enough to the live part of the pulley to lock everything up when the pulley bolt is tight. Seems to me, there should be a spacer/washer between the bolt head and the pulley also, but I don't see one on the schematic, I'll probably add one to see if that helps. I believe that when I get this pulley all straightened out, everything will be good. The parking brake rattle may not be such a complicated fix after all :D  Thanks!

gwest_ca

It is hard to find a shim with an OD that is small enough to do the job. Have used a regular split lockwasher a few times to align pulleys.

Garry