tywilk02

Smoking k-301

tywilk02

Just got the motor running on my 1973 "no name" 8 speed.  It's a k-301 12 hp kohler.  I noticed it was smoking a little the first time I fired it up and the previous owner had mentioned it was smoking some when he parked it.  The old oil in it was dirty and thick so I let drain for a while then plugged it and added about 4 oz of gas pulled out the spark plug and turned it by hand a few times.  Then I let it drain for about 36 hours into a bucket.  Nothing abnormal just a little bit of sludge.  I capped the oil drain and added 1 qt Lucas and 1 qt rotella 30w trying to remedy the smoke.  Well it's still smoking at the same rate it was on the first fire up.  I even took it outside and let it run and get up to temp to see it that would help.  Am I looking at a rebuild or could I have a valve guide issue?

Ace57

Could be bad rings.

953 nut

Lots of Kohlers smoke a bit, unless it is a now or never decision I would just run it and keep an eye on the oil consumption before making a decision to rebuild it. If you decide to rebuild you will want to have everything measured including valve guides and cylinder ware.

• Like 1

Hossenfeffa

I agree with 953. Run it keep track of oil consumption. Might be able to get by with just piston and rings if the cylinder taper is under .005 and the bore is only a thousands or so over. If the guides are worn you could consider having them knurled rather than replacing them

Fordiesel69

MANY Kohlers smoke is an understatement.

I have a different opinion on the oil consumption.  I am one of those OCD persons of maintaining oil levels and changing oil way too early.  I have at times cut it too close.

Post a nice video of the engine operating at different speeds, I would like to hear it for other problems.  If there are no other problems a set of rings and a deglaze may fix it.  It has for me many times.