82Caddy

Give me an education on round fenders

82Caddy

So I'm looking for a winter rebuild/restore/project to be a mower next summer. I know there are better mowers out there but for the amount of mowing I do it doesn't matter. It takes 20 minutes now with a 36" deck taking my time. 

I really like the tractors with round fenders...remind me of "real" tractors for some reason. What models came with fenders like the photo (random one from the Internet). 

I'd be more interested in a square hood with round fenders if it even exists. What models came with in that combination? So I can start looking. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

gwest_ca

Just one model I believe 

Garry

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Take a stroll through this section of pictures of "horses by the years"  :)   Especially the 58 to 64 part and the 65 to 72 stretch.  Picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/17-wheel-horse-picture-gallery/

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

82Caddy

I was browsing through that earlier while waiting for my wife. 

Not after a one year only production item. It's not worth the extra cost to me for a "rare" tractor. 

So round fender search is on...

• Like 2

ACman

1045 is the only square hood round fender I believe . As far as tractors like the one pictured 61-64 . 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

Achto
4 minutes ago, ACman said:

1045 is the only square hood round fender I believe . As far as tractors like the one pictured 61-64

If you want to do a custom you could remove the rear fender pan from a square hood. Then add a tool box, spring seat and round fenders from an earlier model. Would be easiest with a standard trans., but could be figured out with a hydro too. 

• Like 4

KC9KAS

Most of the tractors from the 60's were "1 model year only tractors".

• Like 3

Shynon
8 hours ago, achto said:

If you want to do a custom you could remove the rear fender pan from a square hood. Then add a tool box, spring seat and round fenders from an earlier model. Would be easiest with a standard trans., but could be figured out with a hydro too. 

IMG_5295.JPG

• Like 9

82Caddy
8 hours ago, achto said:

How common are fenders, toolboxes and seat springs? 

That's an option,but I'd need another tractor anyway to do that 

5 minutes ago, Shynon said:

IMG_5295.JPG

Yep, just like that....

• Like 2

Achto
20 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

How common are fenders, toolboxes and seat springs

They are not super common but can be found. If you can find a set of fenders you like,( WH or not) the tool box is easy to make/have made. A seat should be easy, Tractor Supply carries one with the right look. A seat spring should not be too hard to find either. I know most like to keep their :wh: all :wh: but if your going to customize, imagination and readily found parts should be encouraged. :twocents-02cents: 

• Like 3

stratostar250
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

Most of the tractors from the 60's were "1 model year only tractors".

I just want to re-establish that this is totally correct.  I understand that you said that you are not in search of a one year only tractor, sorry, but most, if not all those style tractors were one year only.  The model numbers reflected the tractor during the 60's.  ie:  701 (7=7hp; 0=pull start; 1=1961) 702 (7=7hp; 0=pull start; 2=1962) 753 (7=7hp; 5=electric start; 3=1963) or even 1277 (12=12hp; 7=hydrostatic; 7=1967)  and so on.  That's just how those tractors were named back then.  So I don't think that any of them were more than a one year tractor, but that shouldn't scare you from looking for one! As you can see the 701 and 702 were the same tractor, except for the year; many of these tractors with round fenders share parts with other extremely similar tractors.  Parts are still available and can be found, especially here where the :wh: knowledge is plentiful!  

• Like 2

82Caddy
1 hour ago, achto said:

They are not super common but can be found. If you can find a set of fenders you like,( WH or not) the tool box is easy to make/have made. A seat should be easy, Tractor Supply carries one with the right look. A seat spring should not be too hard to find either. I know most like to keep their :wh: all :wh: but if your going to customize, imagination and readily found parts should be encouraged. :twocents-02cents: 

I don't need any encouragement for using readily found parts...just look at my franken tractor (D-220). John Deere power steering, cub cadet front axle, harbor freight engine, trailer front hubs and wheels. 

1 hour ago, stratostar250 said:

I just want to re-establish that this is totally correct.  I understand that you said that you are not in search of a one year only tractor, sorry, but most, if not all those style tractors were one year only.  The model numbers reflected the tractor during the 60's.  ie:  701 (7=7hp; 0=pull start; 1=1961) 702 (7=7hp; 0=pull start; 2=1962) 753 (7=7hp; 5=electric start; 3=1963) or even 1277 (12=12hp; 7=hydrostatic; 7=1967)  and so on.  That's just how those tractors were named back then.  So I don't think that any of them were more than a one year tractor, but that shouldn't scare you from looking for one! As you can see the 701 and 702 were the same tractor, except for the year; many of these tractors with round fenders share parts with other extremely similar tractors.  Parts are still available and can be found, especially here where the :wh: knowledge is plentiful!  

That makes perfect sense. I was more referring to the square hood round fender tractor. Not interested in chasing a unicorn if that makes sense. Maybe if I were a collector in the sense of acquiring all the models from a certain year, but I'm not. Just a fan that found an appearance I like and was curious about what came with that combination.

Sounds like I need to track down a tractor with a good mower deck and then some round fenders. Good thing is I don't need to do any of this. Might be fun if I stumble across the right parts. A guy can dream right?

• Like 5

prondzy

In southern MN, you are most likely to run into a 702, or 753, why is beyond me but they are common 

• Like 1

ACman
11 hours ago, stratostar250 said:

.  ie:  701 (7=7hp; 0=pull start; 1=1961) 702 (7=7hp; 0=pull start; 2=1962) 

Not to confuse you anymore :wacko: but for some reason the 61-701 and the 62-702 both had a started/generator . Don't know why they used the zero desanation instead of a five  :scratchead: . Now to stir the pot a little more , the 701 had more one year only pieces . The hood had no grill slots , starter/gen had a double belt pully and guard , the dash plate was different , and I think a one piece tank . Experts correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still learning . Did the 701 also not have a parking break and shield to cover the brake/clutch band ? 

Just build what ever you want , please take a lot of :text-coolphotos: !!!

• Like 3

82Caddy

Well, if you stumble across one, keep me in mind. :)

Elkskin's mower junkyard
11 minutes ago, ACman said:

Not to confuse you anymore :wacko: but for some reason the 61-701 and the 62-702 both had a started/generator . Don't know why they used the zero desanation instead of a five  :scratchead: . Now to stir the pot a little more , the 701 had more one year only pieces . The hood had no grill slots , starter/gen had a double belt pully and guard , the dash plate was different , and I think a one piece tank . Experts correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still learning . Did the 701 also not have a parking break and shield to cover the brake/clutch band ? 

Just build what ever you want , please take a lot of :text-coolphotos: !!!

they did carry left over 1 peice tanks to 62. my dads 502 has one

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I believe the only 2 year model that was the same for both years...1958/1959 RJ's  :)

• Like 4

ACman
3 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

they did carry left over 1 peice tanks to 62. my dads 502 has one

Yes , the Pond's were famous for using up inventory . Story goes that's how the 1045 came to be . I also have a 62 with a one piece tank  . Some tractors were labeled as specials , and those were tractors put together using up inventory (more one off's) . Confused yet  :angry-banghead: ! 

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
5 minutes ago, ACman said:

Yes , the Pond's were famous for using up inventory . Story goes that's how the 1045 came to be . I also have a 62 with a one piece tank  . Some tractors were labeled as specials , and those were tractors put together using up inventory (more one off's) . Confused yet  :angry-banghead: ! 

like my dads 754 when they ran out of 8hps lol

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@82Caddy  take a good look at these pictures from Scott's thread.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I think I see round fenders and a tool box.  :think:

• Like 4

bmsgaffer
26 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

@82Caddy  take a good look at these pictures from Scott's thread.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I think I see round fenders and a tool box.  :think:

It looks like you could build a whole tractor from spare parts on that haul... better yet, a square hood, round fender, 8 speed nut roaster! ... I am sure someone with fab experience could whip that out... :D

• Like 3

82Caddy
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I saw that...might have to send a message.  There are a few short frame square hoods for sale near me right now...not that I need more encouragement...I'm sure the Mrs would love another tractor appearing...

• Like 3

Achto
1 hour ago, 82Caddy said:

.I'm sure the Mrs would love another tractor appearing...

Once you get enough of them they stop noticing when a new on shows up. At least that's what I heard. :confusion-shrug: I'm apparently not to that point yet, but it is a goal of mine.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

82Caddy

Oh mine notices...she knows exactly how many tractors and attachments I have...she can't tell you anything else about them but she knows how many there are.  

• Like 3