MAH

Machine shops near Ephrata Pa for k241 rebuild?

MAH

I will need my k241 engine rebuilt for the restoration of the 1056. Does anyone have experience / suggestions for machine shops within a reasonable drive? Also what is reasonable $ for a normal rebuild? (I know can vary depending on parts and machine work needed just looking for an average on what other members have spent)

Short Circuit

I have a K321 Kohler engine which was pretty much worn out with a .014" undersize rod journal and already .030"+ overbore when I bought it.

I contacted R & R Engine and Machine in Akron, Ohio to do the machine work to get it back to a useable condition. I had them install a stock bore size sleeve, and they ground the crank rod journal to .020" undersize to fit a new piston and rod I ordered from Kustom Law and Garden in Minerva, Ohio. 

sleeve installed and bored to stock size - $225

crank rod journal ground to .020" undersize - $60

piston/rod assembly from Kustom Lawn and Garden - $117

I put the engine together myself to save labor costs.

I know this is a bit of a drive for you but these two shops have great parts and machine work. They will turn around your order or machine work in a week.

The web sites:

http://shop.kustomlawnandgarden.com/main.sc

http://www.rrengine.com/index.html

• Like 2

Anspaughfarms

I'm currently having a k241 rebuilt here in Indiana. So far the cost is at $750. This is a factory engine. The work includes: bore cylinder out .10, turn crank, clean up both valve seats, new guides, new valves, bearings, rod, piston and rings. $400 in parts, $170 for the machine shop, the rest is labor. 

Buckshot1
2 hours ago, Anspaughfarms said:

I'm currently having a k241 rebuilt here in Indiana. So far the cost is at $750. This is a factory engine. The work includes: bore cylinder out .10, turn crank, clean up both valve seats, new guides, new valves, bearings, rod, piston and rings. $400 in parts, $170 for the machine shop, the rest is labor. 

:greetings-clappingyellow: What machine shop are you using? :flags-waveusa:

Anspaughfarms

G&R out of zanesville is going the work but I'm not sure where they sent it to be machined. I'd recommend C&P machine shop out of Columbia city of your in the area

Ftwayne! Right on. 

Buckshot1
21 hours ago, Anspaughfarms said:

G&R out of zanesville is going the work but I'm not sure where they sent it to be machined. I'd recommend C&P machine shop out of Columbia city of your in the area

Ftwayne! Right on. 

From what I hear from people around that area G&R is a pretty decent shop. I have used C&P here in the Fort. for around 30 yrs. I know of a few Guys that use Napa machine shop here in the Fort. I did not know C&P had a shop in Columbia city. 

Anspaughfarms

If I read the receipts on my 383 stroker right , it was built in Columbia city. They did a good job on it. I'm originally from hillsdale county mi. So my knowlage of this area isn't the best yet. 

Edited by Anspaughfarms

wedge
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, MAH said:

I will need my k241 engine rebuilt for the restoration of the 1056. Does anyone have experience / suggestions for machine shops within a reasonable drive? Also what is reasonable $ for a normal rebuild? (I know can vary depending on parts and machine work needed just looking for an average on what other members have spent)

Not to be a BUZZ KILL ! All good info here But he is in Lancaster PA.

My brother has a engine shop ( big engines ) But has done m blocks and cranks and so on. There is a good shop in Westminster MD. Called Smalls. He use to do single cylinder engines for years.

I will also ask at work to see if I can get yo some info on a shop close to around you. I have friends that are into the Green Tractors who may have some good input.

Buckshot1
On 8/16/2016 at 11:48 AM, Anspaughfarms said:

Ftwayne! Right on. 

From what I hear from people around that area G&R is a pretty decent shop. I have used C&P here in the Fort. for around 30 yrs. I know of a few Guys that use Napa machine shop here in the Fort. I did not know C&P had a shop in C

On 8/17/2016 at 8:20 PM, Anspaughfarms said:

If I read the receipts on my 383 stroker right , it was built in Columbia city. They did a good job on it. I'm originally from hillsdale county mi. So my knowlage of this area isn't the best yet. 

olumbia city. :greetings-clappingyellow: I am going to C&P here in the fort next week, and I will ask them about Columbia city. I know the feeling about knowledge of the area, I moved to the fort in 1983, and I still have to go to map quest to fiqure out where certain areas around the city/county are located. :flags-waveusa:

• Like 1

djohn24

MAH, Over in York county there is a napa machine shop . 

2051 Industrial Hwy

They were pretty reasonable I thought. Had 16hp onan gone over.  checked cam specs ,cylinders honed, crank pulled checked and had journals polished. checked used connecting rods I bought off ebay on polisihed crank. Think bill was $380. Not bas as far as I'm concerned

• Like 1