OhioGuy89

Today's Equivalent to a Wheel Horse

OhioGuy89

So as I posted in another topic, my mom no longer has any of the 3 Wheel Horses we once had. This has got me thinking. Knowing what a great tractor our 520 H was, and how well it performed and barely gave us trouble until recently, what lawn mowers made today approach Wheel Horses in quality and value? 

Matt

• Like 2

slammer302

You would have to buy a sub compact tractor to get the quality that wheel horse had. Or a quality zero turn. Im not a fan of zero turns I prefer a traditional lawn tractor and prefer saving my money and buying used wheel horses. But I'm not making a living mowing.

• Like 3

OhioGuy89

What would be an example of a sub compact tractor? For example we had a 33 HP New Holland for a time. Is that what you mean? I figured the higher end John Deere lawn tractors would be good quality, considereing what they cost. 

slammer302

I was thinking something like a BX series kabota 

• Like 2

T-Mo

You can buy a good John Deere, either a X500 series or a X700 series that will give you the same durability and performance.  They're a bit pricey, but they are great machines and probably will mow circles around the older equipment.  You can also find a Simplicity that will be of equal value.  And Ingersoll is still in business making tractors that have the same design that the old Cases had.

I have a 2004 GX345 and a 2006 X320 Deeres that I would never get rid of.  The GX is my snow removal machine and my plow horse, while the X320 is my wife's favorite as it can out mow anything out there, except maybe a zero turn, which I also have.  I have an integral hitch on my GX and I added an electric actuator to it to make things easier.  The X500 series is the tractor that replaced the GX series.

Simplicity is still making quality machines also.  And as I said, you can buy a new Ingersoll tractor that will last you a lifetime since they're basically the same tractor that was built 40 years ago.

• Like 2

Fun Engineer
1 hour ago, T-Mo said:

You can buy a good John Deere, either a X500 series or a X700 series that will give you the same durability and performance.  They're a bit pricey, but they are great machines and probably will mow circles around the older equipment.  You can also find a Simplicity that will be of equal value.  And Ingersoll is still in business making tractors that have the same design that the old Cases had.

I have a 2004 GX345 and a 2006 X320 Deeres that I would never get rid of.  The GX is my snow removal machine and my plow horse, while the X320 is my wife's favorite as it can out mow anything out there, except maybe a zero turn, which I also have.  I have an integral hitch on my GX and I added an electric actuator to it to make things easier.  The X500 series is the tractor that replaced the GX series.

Simplicity is still making quality machines also.  And as I said, you can buy a new Ingersoll tractor that will last you a lifetime since they're basically the same tractor that was built 40 years ago.

I've got a Deere X530 that is a great machine, hydro Trans, power steering and lift. Use it for snow blowing our 150" average snow fall each year. It's a good running machine and works as well as the Wheel Horse 520-H in my opinion. 

• Like 2

wrightorchid

Keep in mind too that the price of the modern equivalent will be high.  The machines we all love were not cheap when new.  We might buy for 400, but were often $2-3K when new.  the Deere X530 new is about $7K, with a 54" deck.  No loader or other major attachments.  The Kubota BX and Deere 1023 are great SCUTS.  

Simplicity has a pretty comprehensive garden tractor with loader, snowblowers and other fun tools.

Edited by wrightorchid
  • Like 1

T-Mo

The thing is, manufacturers are wanting the consumer to buy the SCUTs, so they're making their garden tractors to do less things.  While once you could get a category 0 3 point hitch for the Deere 300s series as well as their 400 series, now they're only offering a limited category one 3 point hitch in the X700 series, but you can still get an integral hitch for the X500 series.  And last year they lessen the frames on the X700 series and now don't offer a loader for that series.  I think Cub Cadet and Kubota are doing the same, forcing the consumer to look into the SCUTs instead.

Ingersoll, though while still making the proven designed tractors, are now not offering some attachments they once did.  While once a garden tractor could do about anything, manufacturers want you to move up scale to more expensive machines, I think due to home owners who just want to mow the grass and remove snow from time to time.  Also, while once an owner just had one machine to perform various tasks, owners now are getting zero turns to mow grass and a SCUT for the more strenuous duties.

• Like 2

DougC

Ventracs, if not so expensive, seem to be a very heavy duty  machine. A good used one would still bring a premium.   In my area there are lots of used Kubotas to be found. I should buy one to replace my 1956 Ford 860 Ag tractor, but I've had it 27 years and can't seem to let go of the old dangerous machine. ALL my neighbors own green and yellow and the JD dealer is only 1 mile away from my property.........:confusion-confused:

Guess for now I'll just keep  :wh:'n around.     :dance:

sluggo

I seriously looked at the new JD 300 and 500 tractors before I bought my used 310-8.  The transmission on the JD 300 is a k46, the same as their home center models. I think it only had 20 inch rear tires.

I  knew that I wanted something with a big butt. Tough transmission and 23 inch tires. That put me into JD 500s which I think started at $5k and up. For $600 I picked my 310-8. I expect it to last for years.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Thumbs up on the cost of old machines vs new. 

For what I paid for my X530, deck, snowblower, weights and cab, this thing better last at least 40 years. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton

This is a bit off topic to this thread but I'm quite motivated and interested in everyone's opinions!  We're looking at carrying a quality Brand of GTs that is unique to this area.  Gravely, Ariens, Ventrac and Steiner quickly come to mind, and while a couple brands really aren't in the category of WHs I'd love to hear any ones opinions.  We're NOT interested in Husqvarna, Toro or common brands not because they have nothing to offer but perhaps nothing different to offer.  If you wanted all the features that Wheel Horse had and even the mighty TORO couldn't continue to profitably provide, what Brand would it be today?  Perhaps I should start a new thread but this one certainly has my interest!

• Like 1

sluggo

Dennis, 

It seems to me that the market is $2000 mowers, zero turns and $10000 sub compact tractors. That's my two cents, I am just a regular guy. I hope you can do well.

• Like 1

IthacaJeff

Let's be honest here. WH's, even 520s, are stout garden tractors, not SCUTs. Even my Deutz-Allis 1920,

which is much larger than a 520 and has available a 3 pt hitch, is a large garden tractor. The question is, is

there really a new garden tractor that can pull a single bottom plow, run a tiller, and dozer more than snow?

Ingersoll, JD X500 and up, and that is it. Actually, Husky sells a front mount articulating mower in Europe

that is a beast . . .dozer, blower, etc.

Not even the new Kubota mowers are lawn tractors. Kubota BX are SCUTS, as are Massey low HP tractors.

Simplicity Legacy and JD X700  series are sold as garden tractors or SCUTs, depending on the audience. But,

the earlier comment is right. Buyers wanting ground engaging capabilities are directed toward SCUTS with

3 pt hitches and diesels.

There are MANY manufacturers of high end zero turn mowers. Every region has there own favorite. This is the

high end market, not true garden tractors.

If I were thinking of adding a new product, I'd go electric (eg Mean Green) and/or robotic. Check out these:

http://www.greenindustrypros.com/directory/commercial-riding-mowers-zero-turn-mowers

• Like 4

T-Mo
14 hours ago, sluggo said:

I seriously looked at the new JD 300 and 500 tractors before I bought my used 310-8.  The transmission on the JD 300 is a k46, the same as their home center models. I think it only had 20 inch rear tires.

I  knew that I wanted something with a big butt. Tough transmission and 23 inch tires. That put me into JD 500s which I think started at $5k and up. For $600 I picked my 310-8. I expect it to last for years.

The X300 series are lawn tractors, and if you move up to the X320 you get a K58 transmission and 22 inch rear tires.  If you want a garden tractor you have to move into the X500 series.

Times have changed.  Most homeowners want something that will mow their grass and maybe even move snow, if you in the snow regions.  Some homeowners hire a landscaping crew to do the yard work.  Back in the '50 and '60s when most of the manufacturers were introducing new tractors, homeowners wanted one machine to do everything they needed.  And, for the most part, they did their own yard work.  So manufacturers had to meet that demand.  Today, it's a different market.  Disposable equipment, hiring out the work, smaller yards, smaller gardens, etc.  So manufacturers are not offering as many garden tractors, but offering cheaper mowers, zero turns (which is the current fad), and SCUTs for those who do want to work their machines.

• Like 2

sluggo

@T Mo 

Do you really think zero turns are a fad? Not very versatile, but they seem to mow large amounts of grass very fast.

T-Mo
2 minutes ago, sluggo said:

@T Mo 

Do you really think zero turns are a fad? Not very versatile, but they seem to mow large amounts of grass very fast.

Maybe the term "fad" is incorrect, but it's the in-vogue thing today.  More and more homeowners are getting one, even when their land/yard/etc. doesn't really warrant one.  So, I say part fad, part functionality.

• Like 2

sluggo

Ok. Thanks.

I agree, I just don't see zero turns going away.

• Like 1

wrightorchid

A good friend of mine has a zero turn to mow, and a smaller Kubota with a loader and tiller for everything else.  Best of both worlds.  I would certainly like a loader, but can't afford one at this time. 

ACman

My :twocents-02cents: , I own a Kobuta BX2230 with a mid mount mower and FEL . Yes I stole it for $5000 with 250hrs and that's the only reason I own it . It's a capable machine and does what I ask it to do . I do however consider it a overgrown garden tractor ,(not even a SCUT) as it is not a real tractor being cast iron front to back (step up to B series for that) . I find myself looking at how it's built an wonder why they did it this way . Maybe it's just me from being around real tractors my whole life (farm and Adealership) . Back in the day a SCUT was a real tractor . Look at any small tractor from any of the major AG companies built in 70's 80's 90's . Yes they were all Japanese built , but they were a tractor (engine bolted to trans , trans bolted to rear end) . As far as a WH  equivalent , I'd have to say Ingersoll is the only manufacture holding to its roots . For how long is the question . And far as mowing , my BX did a fine job , but my ZT out performs and the cut quality is a lot better .  

TDF5G
On 8/8/2016 at 8:34 PM, OhioGuy89 said:

So as I posted in another topic, my mom no longer has any of the 3 Wheel Horses we once had. This has got me thinking. Knowing what a great tractor our 520 H was, and how well it performed and barely gave us trouble until recently, what lawn mowers made today approach Wheel Horses in quality and value? 

Matt

How about a good used Wheel Horse?  Cheaper to purchase, easy to work on, access to this great forum for advice, parts, etc. ..........

Just thinking out loud. :)

• Like 3

sluggo
1 hour ago, TDF5G said:

How about a good used Wheel Horse?  Cheaper to purchase, easy to work on, access to this great forum for advice, parts, etc. ..........

Just thinking out loud. :)

Amen to that. 

Wheel Horses are real " Moneyball" items. There true value is well below there market value.

• Like 2