Anspaughfarms

K241 rebuild.

Anspaughfarms

I've got a 1056 I'm adding a few more years of service too. I'm having the original motor rebuilt at the local cub caddet shop. I've been quoted $750 to rebuild the all original motor after putting a set of mic's on it. This is not a kohler component rebuild. Is this quote a bit high or is it just me. Thanks in advance for your input

953 nut

:WRS:    The price would seem OK if the crank is having to be turned, cylinder bored and valves and guides replaced. I think you may want to get a second bid.

• Like 1

Shynon

In my opinion even if the crank is turned that is a bit high, I can build one for almost half that price with no  kohler parts. I too agree with Richard I would get a second opinion.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I had a K321s rebuilt locally...from the pan up... with new piston & rod, crank ground, valves ground...  $375.

That was 5 or 6 years ago.

Howie

For me that seems high, using aftermarket parts. Although the Toro/Simplicity shop here is at $65 shop rate i believe. For myself I could

buy the parts for around $135.00. But I have an account with a supplier here.

rmaynard

I am in total agreement that $750 is high. Don't settle on the first quote. Shop around. You should be able to get that price down.

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat: I had a K341 rebuilt two years ago at a shop and I was into it about $400 in labor + $120 in aftermarket parts. That includes acid diping/blasting, paint, turn crank, bore, i think valve guides, and balance gear bearings and the normal stuff. 

Edited by bmsgaffer

Anspaughfarms

That is turning the crank, new exhaust valve, gaskets, piston, rings. He quoted $400 in parts alone. I took him a short block. I'll be getting a short block back. 

Shynon

Looks like he''s charging double for parts

Anspaughfarms

Thank you for the feedback guys. I'll be making some phone calls

wrightorchid

Keep in mind that many shops have an hourly rate of close to $100.  I am not surprised at this price.  It's rare to even have a shop that can do a rebuild these days (at least here in Tallahassee).  While it might be easy for some to do a rebuild, many of us don't have anybody to guide us through, or trusted machine shop that can or will work on these smaller engines. 

• Like 2

Anspaughfarms

I called a few other small engine shops in my area. The shop that has my motor now was actually the cheapest on parts. I guess I underestimated the cost of an overhaul on these little motors

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:  Do you have a Community College or Vocational School that has continuing Education classes in engine rebuilding? Depending on your time horizon and availability of time to do the job you could enroll in a class and have all the tools and guidance you need. Nothing beats the sense of satisfaction you will have listening to a fine running engine you rebuilt. Tuition and parts will probably be 1/3 what the shop will charge and you can point with pride and say I built that engine!

• Like 1

Anspaughfarms

I wish there was!!! I'd love some  formal engine training on all engines.(love an old small block Chevy). With blasting and painting everything on this tractor, and making it as new as my hands will allow, I wanted the motor done a right as I could afford. 

wrightorchid

Most vocational schools are geared towards certification and job training, not hobbies.  For example, the welding classes are daily, 8-5, and automotive also. Once you take 2 years of classes, various tests and such, you can get a good job. Fewer night classes, also.

I think the days of getting skills that are helpful are gone.  I wish that was not true, because I would take some, just to have access to equipment and to learn how to do it correctly.  

Most of the smaller motors are pretty simple, but skills and support go a long way.  Growing up my dad rebuilt a 53 chevy 216 motor, but our neighbor was an expert, and fixed some things the machine shop did not do correctly with the valves or something.  Without him, the engine would have not have run correctly.

moe1965

Just a thought. Here where I live in ohio there is a vocational school that teaches small engine repair. If you purchase the parts they rebuild it for free.  Only problem is you might have to wait awhile to get it back.  Check in your area at some trade school 

Sorry didn't see that 953nut said the same thing guess I should read all replys first.....

953 nut
42 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

953nut said the same thing guess I should read all replys first

That is OK, we all do it from time to time; gave me a good chuckle! 

can whlvr

up here in Canada you wont find very many shops that will build a kohler single for that price,but that's up here,everything is a lot more,but I have used the ebay rebuild parts guy and had good success so far,i did a 12 horse with all the uppers,valves,piston,rings,gaskets,gov gear,rod,and tuneup kit,it was 200 after shipping and exchange,that didn't include main bearings but they seldom need to be replaced,then I had 150 at the machine shop,and some more bucks into paint and exras,thats 400 bucks Canadian,and I did it muself,so at 100 an hour they would not be getting rich,but things are a lot more expensive in canada

Anspaughfarms

I'm sure I could have done the work my self and had family do the machine work. But sometimes the time it takes to get it done yourself drags out longer than I have to get it done. Grandpa always told me " if it's cheep, it won't be easy. If it's easy, it's not going to be cheep." The old man has never been wrong

• Like 1

Forest Road

That's about what I paid in NJ. Block is still sitting on my work bench. Mistake I made was not getting parts first and having work done. Guy said a Kohler .010 piston will drop right in. I didn't know a Kohler piston was $280. Hence it looks good right were it is as a book end!

rmaynard
9 hours ago, Forest Road said:

I didn't know a Kohler piston was $280.

I don't know where you are getting your parts, but an after-market rebuild kit on eBay, which includes the .010 over piston,rings, valves and gaskets can be had for under $100.00.

I have used the aftermarket stuff and it in my opinion is just as good as the pricey Kohler parts.

• Like 3

Forest Road
9 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I don't know where you are getting your parts, but an after-market rebuild kit on eBay, which includes the .010 over piston,rings, valves and gaskets can be had for under $100.00.

I have used the aftermarket stuff and it in my opinion is just as good as the pricey Kohler parts.

I ordered one of those kits after machining was complete. Wasn't happy the machine shop either. Writing off to a lack of education.

My .010 piston was undersized. Actually spoke w the seller for 10-20 minutes. He said there was No Spec on this stuff. I'm thinking if it's 3.75" the .010 is 3.760. Safe to say I'll order some quality parts from one of the hot rod building sites and have it machined again. Have to many other things going on to spend anymore time on it. Oh been looking at SCUTS too. Mrs ain't gonna be happy next spring. 

• Like 1

953 nut

I am surprised they would cut it without the piston in hand.

• Like 3

can whlvr

I agree,any reputable machinist would not bore without piston in hand,kohler or aftermarket

• Like 4

Anspaughfarms

These stories are making me nervous. My motor isn't done yet. He originally quoted me a week. That was when I posted this thread