PeacemakerJack

"GhostRider" another 314-8

T-Mo

Jack,

If you see a guy named Mike Gault at Bluniers, tell him I said Hi and I'll see him at Marhasville tomorrow.  He would be one of many either on a John Deere 420 or a John Deere 430.  He has both as plow tractors, though I think he might have sold one of them.  Also, look for a Rick Bischoff and his dad.  He probably is pulling a homemade 2 bottom plow,either with a John Deere 400 or a 430.  He may also have a John Deere 332 and may have a red Cub Cadet.  He goes to all of the plow days that he can.  He's from the Kansas City area.

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost: I'll be sure to do that.  My guess is that place will be hopping today!  Lots of activity there last night for the evening plowing.  Already at least 20-25 guys plowing last night.  But I saw a bunch of 400 series green machines so some of those men might already be there...

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Used the lugging power of GhostRider to pull something besides a plow today!  I have a small half acre woods growing on my property.  I located a couple of small trees that I didn't recognize growing there last year.  When I showed them to my dad, he said "get that junk out of there!".  I didn't find out until this year that it is buckthorn, a very invasive species of shrub tree here in central WI.  I did some reading and they said not to cut it off because it will get worse, you want to pull it up from the roots.  What's better than a weighted plow tractor???

IMG_4899.JPG.9e841936f2c792568dd0395d2a1c2194.JPG

i hooked it up to a chain in and put it in low low and it came right out!

IMG_4900.JPG.700e902f6ab3f9948a18bb7a3d0b6324.JPG

I should've taken a video but the mosquitos were so thick, I just wanted to pull it and get outta there! 

• Like 6

Achto

Looks like Ghost Rider handled that with no problem. It's good that your getting rid of that stuff, It can turn into a real mess in a hurry. Grows & spreads faster than box elder.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Although GhostRider is a working tractor I still like to have him looking good while doing it. The one major ugly thing was the rusty brown muffler.  So, I decided to paint one up for him, dads 953, and Blackbeard at the same time. I used the ultra high heat paint and then followed the break in instructions which included lots of idling! Since I had the big "work" horses together--I took some pics...IMG_4916.JPG.cfeb18423f7c355214d62b48c9860b7e.JPG

Gotta love those "Big Wheels"

IMG_4917.JPG.5a2058242805fbe17eaad8fb498391f6.JPG

My little photo bombs! (I love these guys!!!)

IMG_4918.JPG.f7c8c125bfdc07f6bf7b7456a6ec2a18.JPG

Next up for GhostRider is to get those rear wheels painted. The off white doesn't work well with the rest of the paint scheme!  Once I have that done, I want to fabricate a heavier hitch assembly, install some more chrome fasteners here and there for accents and this dude is ready to go!

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 7

Achto
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

IMG_4916.JPG.cfeb18423f7c355214d62b48c9860b7e.JPG

Tres Hombres

• Like 4

Aldon

It looks like you have weights on only one rear tire on Ghostrider. Is that some best known method for plowing or something ?

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Good eye Aldon!  Actually, because of the lean angle into the furrow (right side), the land side rear tire gets a little lighter.  Typically, most guys will add more weight to the land side wheel.  I have a set of WH weights on the inside of both of my rims, that gives me a little more than 50# per side, then on the land side I have a late model toro weight and an IH Farmal/Cub weight. That gives me another 75-80lbs on the land side wheel.  I feel it gives a good amount of balanced traction to the rear wheels. Also, you don't want anything to stick too far out of your furrow wheel--because it will hit the furrow wall and cause problems.  The only thing I don't care for with my current setup is that it has a very tight clearance between the inside of the tire and the fenderwell. That only causes an issue when the ground is wet and sticky---then it likes to ball up, collect there and cause plug ups. A different back set on the rim would correct the problem.  I may change them someday if it poses too much of an issue for me...

• Like 4

Aldon

I really really like the aluminum paint with red insert.

Gonna borrow that:-)

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: How cool would that look on one of our "Big Wheel" tractors? 

• Like 1

Rp.wh

Looking better and better josh awesome job!:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Thanks 1

Aldon
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat: How cool would that look on one of our "Big Wheel" tractors? 

The Aluminum brightness makes it really pop.

Ive not had much luck with that color being robust and lasting. 

Would like to hear how how it does for you.

I may go with more or of a stainless on next project and it will have exterior weights which are red so it will have a similar look.

These are getting mounted on the GT22-8 rear rims.

IMG_1122.PNG.2fbfc280e2d49396ec4e435dea1cc33c.PNG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Those appear to be the Big Wheel case weights!  An excellent choice for that farm tractor look.  I'll keep you posted on that aluminum paint durability--the plowing will test it to The fullest...

your GT 22-8 is gonna be AWESOME!

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Another cool chapter with GhostRider:

We had the annual Heritage Farm Day at my Uncle Bob's yesterday. I'm always excited to spend time visiting with friends that I don't often get to see and to watch all the antique equipment in use.  Anyone who knows me though, understands that I'm a genuine, bonafide  "plow dog"!  I enjoy my time in the furrow.  I look forward all year to finding the right conditions, dropping in the plow, and staying in the furrow till "the itch" has been "scratched"!  YesterDay was no different. Last year, the month of July was so dry that the plow conditions weren't good.  It was hard, dry, dusty.  I figured with all the rain, we'd be in great shape here this year.  Uncle Bob had a specific area that we were to plow and we tried it--it was terrible! The ground was packed hard, harder, and VERY HARD!  Speaking from experience, when the ground is like that, even a seasoned plow dog like me questions the setup of your rig and plow!  The problem is that either, it is the ground.  When you know you have the proper weight on the tractor, the proper settings on the plow, and enough power, if the plow doesn't work well, IT IS THE GROUND!  

IMG_5104.JPG.4fbf22cb730df62c3c7d12197169f8d6.JPGSo, I was discouraged and didn't want to plow any more.  My cousin Kevin (Bob's youngest) was there for he is becoming a plow dog like me!  He wasn't giving up so soon. He is very familiar with his dad's property and felt that there would be good plowing in the black dirt near to the cat tails. Bob had tiled that land about 5 years ago and the peat soil there is rich and lighter than the clay where we had been plowing!  I must confess that I was so discouraged that I sat in my lawn chair sucking on a dew hole he drove his Ingersoll plow rig down to try it! He came back about half hour later and said, "you need to try this. It is good!"  

That was an understatement!  I started plowing with the 10" Brinly and it went so well that I decided to hook up the Punisher (my 12" Brinly)! 

IMG_5115.JPG.93b0b46a709f890c75dffd4169925559.JPG

It wasn't the best field plowing I've ever done but it was close!  Top five for sure.  We were plowing an average of 5-6" deep which allowed the geometry of the plow to be correct.  That makes for an easier pull of the plow because the landslide isn't digging into the furrow wall and it makes a clean beautiful furrow as these picks attest.  

IMG_5114.JPG.7b38a27afe3d7a8b1bc82d0d4cea2496.JPG

The M14 in GhostRider was just purring--and I'm convinced could've pulled all day with those conditions.  I'm telling you, with conditions like these, it makes plowing a blast. Watching huge slabs of dirt turning and the moldboard scouring so well that it shines like a mirror when you pull out at the end of a furrow!  I will also say here that the 314-8 makes a really great plow tractor--don't let anyone tell you different. The limited slip diff gives you a purchase on the ground that is amazing.  My only complaint is the lack of assisted lift.  However, everything else is awesome!  Someday I may install some type of electric lift...

IMG_5112.JPG.8288478b4e2cd3991d43cb6574c66c00.JPG

This thing is right at home here and will spend the rest of its days in the furrows!

IMG_5109.JPG.7bbcd7fae25bdea93c19c976ce2a1564.JPG

This is a beautiful view to look at while turning soil! All in all, a great start to the 2017 plowing season for me.

IMG_5113.JPG.b4440b0e46733798562303cc959ddfba.JPG

GhostRider in his favorite place, with the Punisher in the "dead" furrow!!!!

• Excellent 3

ohiofarmer

Awesome stuff here. Just a little hint on stripping paint and such.  Once you have the paint softened and ready to come off, just use some wood shavings and maybe mixed with sawdust and rubber gloves and it comes almost clean and off in a flash.  I have never tried it on paint, but shavings and sawdust takes all the gloop off from varnish in seconds with almost no mess at all using sheet plastic or whatever

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Wow! That is a great tip. I was not familiar with that and I'll keep that in mind for my next paint stripping project.

PeacemakerJack

Some Videos of the Above plow day with GhostRider....

This is my Cousin on his Ingy 3018.  He took the above videos with me and is definitely a "plow dog" like I am!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack

Plowing season 2017 is winding to a close for me.  GhostRider is about to be cleaned off, oil changed and put to bed for a long winter's nap.  He is a hard working "plow Mule" and it is how he earns his keep.  I'm convinced that he wouldn't have it any other way.  

We closed the season the other day at J and C Plow Day 2! It was a blast and the soil conditions were really good. I was busy helping the other guys and taking videos of them plowing. I didn't take many pictures and therefore don't have any of me on GhostRider but this is a neat pic of my favorite little people in the whole world...

IMG_5353.JPG.81004e942d7fa1b8e68057f5314571fd.JPG

They, along with their older brother, are the ones pictured on the dash panel of GhostRider.  I always want to keep in mind what the most important things in life are---for me, family ranks right near the top of the list. I'm so glad mine is willing to spend time with me at an event like this yearly.  It was my 40th birthday and my WH buddies did it up for me.  There was even an inflatable casket on the table in the garage!  I guess this means I've crested the hill and have now begun to head down the other side...

IMG_5350.JPG.12089eec2e8f51b2a73e898cb9e04df1.JPG

The cake was :wh: themed with one line of yellow frosting for my other GT brand from IH.  

IMG_5321.JPG.382fc678e7eacc6ce78ee1473f090d2f.JPG

I enjoyed my cake for sure as it was delicious but even more so enjoyed the time with my friends and family.  I'm so blessed to live in a country where we have the freedom and the means to do something like this. I don't take it for granted.  God is good to me, way better than I deserve.

Next up for GhostRider--a heavier rear hitch assembly and electric lift.  Once I have those two things on him, he'll be the tractor I envisioned back when I first saw him in that pole shed.  And I think I'm going to put a set of those Firestone AG's on the back.  I liked what I saw on Tom and Mikes tractors with those tires and so I might go that direction too...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

For those of you that aren't sure what you've gotten yourself into or are having trouble seeing that diamond in the rough after you've started...

image.jpg

I encourage you to stick with it.  Whether your vision is a completely stock resto or a unique departure from original adding your own personal touches...

IMG_5033.JPG.275d9db36d44d0cceecd9648cd3b1f7c.JPG

Patience pays off in the end!  When building a plow tractor, it is even a little more tricky because each tractor has little nuances that have to be figured out and taken care of in order for it to be a good plow mule.  It's worth it in the end though when you get one set up and working like it should!  I need to locate an electric lift kit for this one and he is done!--I think.  We can always find some cool mod to do to these tractors can't we?:occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 5

PeacemakerJack

Caleb got to use his new “digger” set from @AMC RULES today on GhostRider to dig up the old strawberry bed...

E8A55B21-AE82-4AB1-93FD-39FFAE2E4A02.jpeg.360a265ca61e716817494e801ef4fcae.jpeg

He was having some fun with it no doubt!

E029BB5C-982E-4045-B77E-65F1734C1CDE.jpeg.76f157e2080bd69bb08f56f50bbf69f0.jpeg

It was pretty weedy to begin with but he did a good job of working it down.

DE23C446-3FEB-4902-95FB-990A78D3C624.jpeg.2fc0d14fd561ad95d5b979c7ec4222df.jpeg

Doesn’t look quite as cool on the beast as it does on the little 854 but it works awesome!

9893346F-C6C1-495E-952C-D67CC394F1D1.jpeg.0b36a32de811e75bf0127d25b6cd833f.jpeg

Caleb looks like a man on a mission but make no mistake—he is enjoying it!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Your Dombrowski's decal...

is looking pretty good there Caleb.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

IMG_4769.JPG.cedfa4450854c3c82649688df8a365c4.JPG

• Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Love that decal—so classic!  We were having so much fun that we decided to level out a spot in the lawn that had been driving “momma” mad for about 8 years...

We plowed it with the CC100 and the Brinly 10” then took the digger and broke up the clods...

17DD9119-9F61-41CC-9117-F423E51BB854.jpeg.d105134c5c6e5f8d642d7a9aeb5c0b1c.jpeg

Then it was time to use the TroyBuilt Bronco rototiller...next up—more leveling then Comanche with the old David Bradley drag:greetings-clappingyellow: 

It’s fun when you get to work with your toys and boys!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Coulter Caleb

They worked great and were useful all at the same time, funny how work can be fun when a :wh: tractor and attachment is involved :auto-layrubber:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Things that are different are not the same...

571D2BA6-31B4-44FA-BD79-FB8661E5A607.jpeg.9465c65cb5c19894e18afe8034b7db4e.jpeg

While at the BS I bought a set of AG’s on custom rims from @Aldon.  The setback is similar to a WH setback.  The rims pictured above are Cub rims and the setback pushes the tires too close to the inner fenders for my liking...

27C24968-C01B-4B7D-BF95-72A080F71076.jpeg.ba969bd2497b799029170df269ed551e.jpeg

The interesting thing is that both tires are Carlisle Tru Powers.  Both are sized at 23-10.50-15 and yet look at the difference.

93248546-1998-40A8-8FAB-237F9B46DF8C.jpeg.7a66095e3b778140fd227619174c5eeb.jpeg

This one is from Aldon and is listed as a AT.

A34A98CB-CDE9-4D3A-B655-1E31172C1443.jpeg.0270defeaab95ed6d287342379484fb3.jpeg

My existing tire just says “Tru Power”.

E370EB9F-3132-4982-8A50-D4C65D9E1C1A.jpeg.c67f93e1d747c8f47feabadaba9f9bf6.jpeg

Regardless, I’m very pleased with the look of the finished product, hopefully it will function as good as it looks in the field!

4B1CF5F8-C73A-4EDC-AA5B-9A7CD0710272.jpeg.1ff9323d763cfd5056db1cf65ae1cfad.jpeg

Zach got to drive it around the yard for the first time and was lovin’ It! I like the extra clearance to the inner fenders if the plowing gets laden with bean stubble or a little muck my fenders should stay much cleaner.  I’ve been at several Big fall plow days where I had to fish out all the debris packed in the furrow wheel fenderwell because the clearance was just too close. Not anymore!

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3