tywilk02

C-161

tywilk02

I ran up on a c-161 auto guy says it's been setting I'm his garage under a work bench since 1992.  tractor seems to be in great original condition.  To sweeten the deal he also has a snowblower and 48" mower deck to go with it. Any special steps I need to take when prepping it to run again as it is my first hydro model?

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Check/Change Fluid and filter in the transmission. If I remember correctly the automatic transmission on that model takes 10w-30 motor oil, but check the manual to be sure. 

• Like 4

elliot ness

Yup change the rear end fluid and filter, and motor oil, and presto, your running for many years to come:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

WHX??

Use quality Wix or Napa filters and if you do/can run 10w30  it's been said the snythetic is better. I wouldn't know for sure as thats all  i have ever run in a Eaton 1100 is Mobil 10w30 syn. with no problems.

• Like 1

Tankman

Use synthetic! NAPA has the filter!

• Like 1

953 nut

NAPA filter number is 1410.  Since it has been setting that long I think new belts and a fuel line and filter would be a good idea too.

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

See I learn all the time at red square! I never used synthetic in my hydro transmissions, just standard 10w-30. Will try synthetic in my 1076 next time!

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

tywilk02  Definitely clean it up to see where you are. Some times the hydro  lines leak. Keep an eye on that. Take your time look every thing and it looks like it will be a great tractor for you. You have the power in the 16 to do a lot of work. Enjoy it. Looks like a keeper.

oldredrider

Personally, I would NOT put synthetic oil in that transmission. With synthetic oil, you will discover all seals and maybe gaskets will seep/leak. Conventional oil will be fine. 

rmaynard

Very nice tractor. And with hydro lift as well. As Paul said, synthetic may cause leaks. I put fully synthetic oil in my 1996 416-H with 1600+ hours (Eaton 1100) with no problem. However, I switched an automobile engine with 100,000+ miles from regular oil to fully synthetic, and it leaked like a sieve. It all depends on how good your seals, o-rings, and gaskets are.

@Mike'sHorseBarn Your 1076 uses Dexron II or III. I would continue to use that and not switch unless your transmission has already been fully flushed, cleaned and running with regular oil already.

doc724

Nice machine.  Even dusty it looks in darn good condition.  The 78's and 79's are my favorite!

• Like 2

tywilk02

I'm pretty excited to get it going I've had a 1057 for a couple years and I really enjoy messing around in the yard.  I recently picked up a no name 12 8 speed and a c-160 as well but this hydro has me intrigued.  

I've also read that the red hood c-161 autos were rare is there any truth to that?

Edited by tywilk02

c-series don

Those C-161 autos are a dime a dozen and not worth much so therefore you should probably sell that baby to me!!! Ha!Ha! Rare to find an unmolested one, good for you. Please post pics of that beauty all cleaned up.

• Like 2

tywilk02

Still needs some scrubbing and the wheels have some surface rust.  Now I'm waiting on a fuel shutoff valve and an idler pulley spring, and we will be up and running.  I've got the hydro draining as we speak and new oil and filter waiting patiently beside it.image.jpeg

• Like 4