briankd

857 ignition switch help

briankd

was using the old 857 hauling some wood today after I cut down a tree and had trailer loaded up and hell it wouldn't start. open hood and pushed on one of the terminals back of switch sideways and it will start. that terminal internally probably not making connection. back of  switch looking burnt

earlier this year was talking to my wheel horse dealer and he has been putting some other style switch in these tractors along with a starter solenoid all wired into the starter generator.

is the original ignition switch available? was at a show last year ran across a vender that had some but don't remember who it was. would be a lot simpler to just plug the original one in with out rewiring things to use a solenoid

no big hurry for one now probably be month or more before I use the 857 again to aerate the yard and pick up leaves. 

gwest_ca

The original 4988 switch was replaced by 7263 and still available from Toro.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/7263/

There is an illustration of the 7263 on this page

Garry

953 nut

If you want to go the solenoid route this could help.

Basic points ignition with solenoid.jpg

rmaynard

The easiest fix is to replace the switch. Cole Hersee sells a replacement switch that is much cheaper than the new Toro 7263.

Cole Hersee # 95521-B

briankd

thanks guys for your input. if cole hersee  makes one maybe I can get it from a local automotive store then even if they have to order one. THANKS AGAIN guys for the help!!

• Like 1

Anspaughfarms

Did you find a Cole hersee switch? And how is it holding up. My 1056 is in need of a new go switch

Edited by Anspaughfarms

rmaynard

@Anspaughfarms I bought a Cole Hersee 95521-B for my 856 back in 2010 and it worked great until I sold it in 2012. I have no reason to believe that it still not functioning well.

• Like 1

Anspaughfarms

Suppose I'll get one on the way then! Thankyou

Anspaughfarms

Will the switch with the terminals: battery, start, mag work

wallfish
3 hours ago, Anspaughfarms said:

Will the switch with the terminals: battery, start, mag work

No, you have a battery ignition engine, Mag = magneto ignition.

• Like 1

Anspaughfarms

I'm getting a lot of education on these old tractors. 

Louise Schwartz

I’m having a problem that every time I go to start my tractor, the fuse blows.

43E02820-8768-49C3-9F8B-C510780F5285.jpeg

57F56520-4B83-483A-A0B5-018B19CF2F31.jpeg

8BB5BE3E-25C6-4C3D-A596-621611AE0A62.jpeg

gwest_ca

I’m having a problem that every time I go to start my tractor, the fuse blows.

Welcome to the forum.

Is your tractor a model 857?

Garry

Louise Schwartz

I believe so, and believe it’s a 1967 or 1965.

gwest_ca

There is a wiring diagram in the operator manual but does not show a fuse. Is the fuse in the wire going to the lighter? The ignition switch is a heavy duty version because it carries the high amperage required to power the starter. If that is where the fuse is it is no wonder it blows.

Tell us more.

Garry

Louise Schwartz

Thank you, I will take a picture of the fuse box later. This was our first tractor many many years ago, and it worked since day one but now it goes to start and blows the fuse. We got a new hydrostatic Wheel Horse a few years back and that’s fine. Always used the little one to do trimming.

Louise Schwartz

Garry, thank you so much for your replies. I need to tell you that after I went over both tractors, I am seeing my mistake about the tractors. The Wheel-horse 520 was the one that the fuse was blowing, but after lifting the hood, that was fixed. It’s the 857 that doesn’t start and my son in law being an electrician said he needs to trace the wiring but we didn’t have a schematic to go by. He’s in NY on a new job, and won’t be around to check it out. I’d like to sell the 857 and that’s why I’m trying to find someone that might know what to advise me of. I’m sorry for the confusion on my part. I downloaded your manual and saved it. We would go to the Wheel Horse tractor shows all the time at Biglerville, PA. 
thank you again, Louise