857 horse

Snow blade edge 42"

857 horse

Guys,,,,,its gonna get cold eventually,,I will be looking for an edge for my 42" plow.......maybe a little beefier..1/4 inch??

If i cant find one.,,,i was thinking of going to my steel shop...and having then sheer off about 1/2 dozen.....and sell the rest....

thanks......be safe....

howard 857 horse in VA

• Like 2

N3PUY

That's what I did.   To the fab shop and they cut what I needed for the edge.   It might have been ¼"x2"x42".  $8.00.    From Toro I think $32.00.  I drilled the holes.

• Like 5

857 horse

N3.heading that way next Sat a.m.         I will report back with results,,,,

KC9KAS

I made my own...

P03170510.jpg

P03170451.jpg

P03163851.jpg

P03163829.jpg

• Like 5

N3PUY

The fab shop stocks flat stock in various widths (1", 1½", 2" etc)  and just cuts the length you request.  They don't cut it out of a full sheet.  And don't charge for cutting. 

I wish I had a square drill bit!  :huh:

IMG_0812 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0813 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

857 horse

At first...i thought it was a thread file....Is that real????   makes a square hole ???? 

Im 60 and never seen this before?? 

• Like 1

Bach-Ed

That "square file" is a broach.  Machine shops use them to make odd shape holes and square is the most common shape.   They can be pulled or pushed through a round hole to create the desired hole.  A decent machine shop will know all about these and probably have the right one on hand.

• Like 1

Eric Friedrichsen

Last year I installed a vinyl edge on my 48" plow (1/2" x 49" x 4") and am very pleased with it.  I have a 450' driveway

that I plowed twice last year (mild winter).  I found the vinyl edge has the following benefits:

Very little wear on the edge (much better than the steel edge)

Does not scratch the driveway

Easy to install (You do not have to square the holes as the square shank on the carriage bolt sinks into the vinyl

when tightened).

The only negative I have found is the 1/2" thickness looks a little too thick but it doesn't seem to affect the plowing.

Eric Friedrichsen

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I have used both a 1/2" rubber edge (my 48" squeegee :ychain:) cut from a horse mat, and currently a 1/2" UHMW edge on my plows. Both do a good job of clearing asphalt and concrete without scratching the surface. The only negative is it can't cut through ice if you get an ice storm.. That is why I keep a second tractor with just the regular steel blade available.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Here is a project we did last year n a 54 inch snowplow.    Heavy duty composite wearbar added to the plow.

Edited by Lane Ranger

cschannuth
On August 8, 2016 at 5:07 AM, Eric Friedrichsen said:

Last year I installed a vinyl edge on my 48" plow (1/2" x 49" x 4") and am very pleased with it.  I have a 450' driveway

that I plowed twice last year (mild winter).  I found the vinyl edge has the following benefits:

Very little wear on the edge (much better than the steel edge)

Does not scratch the driveway

Easy to install (You do not have to square the holes as the square shank on the carriage bolt sinks into the vinyl

when tightened).

The only negative I have found is the 1/2" thickness looks a little too thick but it doesn't seem to affect the plowing.

Eric Friedrichsen

What type of vinyl did you use and where did you get it.   Thanks. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I was going to experiment with a heavy composite rubber, made for plows. Now I need to go find this link..

http://www.rubbercal.com/specialty-products/snowplow-blades/rubber-snowplow-cutting-edge-725-psi.html

The product looks interesting, to me anyway.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Walt
16 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I was going to experiment with a heavy composite rubber, made for plows. Now I need to go find this link..

http://www.rubbercal.com/specialty-products/snowplow-blades/rubber-snowplow-cutting-edge-725-psi.html

The product looks interesting, to me anyway.

Glenn

Looking at that web site I noticed the temperature range and it is only rated to minus 10F.

cschannuth
16 minutes ago, Walt said:

Looking at that web site I noticed the temperature range and it is only rated to minus 10F.

My old butt is only rated to minus 5F so that would be fine for me, LOL...

• Like 2