davedean

starter on Onan P220 G-I

davedean

I just installed the starter on an Onan P220 G-I (WH 520 H). It is grinding like really bad. I'm positive I bought the right one, I did alot of research. I don't know if it's the flywheel or the starter, but I'm pretty sure the teeth are not meshing as they should. Is there an adjustment (shims)? How do I know who or what is the culprit here? I'm at a total loss on this one. 

Thanks for any advise

Dave

lynnmor

There is no adjustment.  You may have bought a cheap import starter that wasn't made right.  Can you compare it to the old one?

onanparts.com

Inspect the ring gear teeth on the flywheel. If you remove the rubber air tube between the flywheel shroud and the air cleaner housing you can get a good look at the ring gear teeth. If they are chewed up and or worn bad even a new quality starter will make nasty grinding sounds. Ring gears are replaceable, part # is a 104-0779. 

N3PUY

I bought a cheap e-Bay starter for mine.   Much noisier the the OE one.   But it was less expensive than just the starter drive that I needed.

davedean

thanks guys for the info. I would love to compare the old starter with the new, but the old starter is not OEM. The previous owner removed one of the starter  mounting bolts, the bolt closest to the engine, and wedged a piece of wood between the starter and the frame forcing the starter teeth closer to the flywheel. so if there is no adjustment then it must be the ring gear that is bad. I did a quick look at the teeth on the flywheel and did notice there is some wear. I sure hope that's the problem. Thanks Onanparts.com for the part #.

whfan74

I do have an OEM starter that is used for sale.

davedean

thanks but i have a new starter

onanparts.com
On 8/8/2016 at 6:29 PM, davedean said:

thanks guys for the info. I would love to compare the old starter with the new, but the old starter is not OEM. The previous owner removed one of the starter  mounting bolts, the bolt closest to the engine, and wedged a piece of wood between the starter and the frame forcing the starter teeth closer to the flywheel. so if there is no adjustment then it must be the ring gear that is bad. I did a quick look at the teeth on the flywheel and did notice there is some wear. I sure hope that's the problem. Thanks Onanparts.com for the part #.

Keep in mind one side, facing the starter, the teeth are beveled. The side facing away from the starter the teeth are not beveled. Important when swapping in a new one! Damaged teeth the area will typically be shiny and uneven.

davedean

Thanks onanparts the ring gear is toast

I got the flywheel off and the teeth are all beveled or ground down on the inside at about 45 degrees. That must be the problem, but the starter teeth are a little chewed up as well, 

3 questions please:

#1 Is that starter gear replaceable, I mean is it available?

#2 How does one remove/ replace the flywheel gear, there are no bolts holes, so I assume it is a press connection, if so does it require heat to remove/replace? 

#3 does the teeth on the flywheel gear have to line up with anything on the flywheel, like timing gears have to?

Thanks for your advice,

Dave  

onanparts.com

This is what a new ring gear looks like, or one in good condition. Beveled side faces the starter. Non beveled side facing the cooling fins. If your ring gear looks like this one then it's fine. Can you post up some pics of yours?

0779A.jpg

0779B.jpg

davedean
On 7/23/2016 at 6:38 PM, davedean said:

If it doesn't work can I return it?

On 7/23/2016 at 5:57 PM, Shuboxlover said:

I have a great used one.... $55 shipped to your door, let me know is you'd like to proceed. 

Best regards, 

Tyson

I can tell you the teeth look nothing like the one you showed me. I'll try to send you a pic

onanparts.com
On 8/20/2016 at 1:42 PM, davedean said:

Thanks onanparts the ring gear is toast

I got the flywheel off and the teeth are all beveled or ground down on the inside at about 45 degrees. That must be the problem, but the starter teeth are a little chewed up as well, 

3 questions please:

#1 Is that starter gear replaceable, I mean is it available?

#2 How does one remove/ replace the flywheel gear, there are no bolts holes, so I assume it is a press connection, if so does it require heat to remove/replace? 

#3 does the teeth on the flywheel gear have to line up with anything on the flywheel, like timing gears have to?

Thanks for your advice,

Dave  

#1 yes & yes.

#2 This vid is close enough to getting it right, although I prefer thick leather welding gloves when installing the HOT new ring gear on the flywheel. The guy in the vid just grabbed it with some rags. :( Note in the vid do NOT get it cherry red or even a little red. It just needs to be hot and it will drop right on the flywheel. Make sure the beveled side is installed so it will face the starter. Nothing to line up like timing gears, just don't get it on backwards.

davedean

Thanks for the vid. The ring gear in the vid is in much better shape than the one I have. Now to wait for the part. 

davedean

Back on the starter/ ring gear. This one has me baffled! Onan P220G-I

New OEM starter #191-1949-04

New OEM ring gear #104-0779

The gears barely mesh. Just enough to grind the tips of the teeth. What is wrong here??

I was told (and I find no) adjustments on this setup

I'm at a total loss. Any suggestions ideas please?

boomers_influence

dave

i would look at the starter mounting lugs on the bottom

of the # 1 cylinder.

when they are damaged the starter will not engage properly.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

davedean

Thanks a million boomers_ 

The lug closest to the center of the engine is damaged. I noticed this when I removed the old starter, not thinking much about it. I kinda repaired it with JB Weld. Is there any fix short of replacing the jug?

N3PUY

I think the starter mount holes are part of the block.

IMG_0874 (800x600).jpg

davedean

uh oh looks like I'm screwed. I guess  I'm gonna have to jerry rig something. Thanks for the pic, it says everything. The lug on the inside is bad

Edited by davedean
add info

davedean

Now I'm getting no power to the tractor, I turn the key and nothing, no guages, no test lights, no nothing. All fuses are good

boomers_influence

dave

a oil pan from a B 43E, B 43G, or B 48G,

along with the correct inertial style of starter is what you. need.

thank you. boomer

davedean

I looked at the wiring diagram on the start circuit, It shows a start relay, my question is does the '90 520H have start relay or does the diagram actually show this relay to be the start solenoid? The diagram is kinda sketchy when it shows the start motor.

davedean

Thanks boomers, I'll give it a look, but the starter is patched in and seems to be doing ok for now.