jdleach

C-175 Seeking Opinions

jdleach

First off, a disclaimer: While I consider myself pretty well versed in the 312-8, and Commando V-7 machines (own one of each), I am pretty uninformed in most all other models from Wheel Horse.

Therefore, I seek honest opinions from the members here on the forum regarding a C-175 I am currently looking at.

My situation is a follows: While the 312-8 will probably do all I really need done, there are some limitations. First is that it is only 12 HP. Second is that the transaxle is of the 4-pinion variety. Lastly, it has the smaller rims, and turf tires. Since I would like to eventually use a plow, disc, and other tools/attachments, the ideal solution is to get a larger tractor. Thought about picking up an extra set of rims (rears with cleats), but that only solves the traction issue, still have less HP and a weaker gearbox.

Too, I own two properties. My home here in beautiful, sunny Columbus, and the 2 acre place in the sticks some 50 mile west. At the moment, I have a trailer to haul the 312 back and forth to do the mowing, but given the size of yards, I feel I will eventually work the poor little tractor to death. Forget the fact that hauling the tractor twice a month is a bit of a pain.

Ideal solution: Another tractor that lives out at the country property, and split the work load. If I get a Horse of about the same "era", I can also be able to swap attachments from one tractor to the other.

Hence the C-175 I am contemplating.

This prospective tractor is supposed to run, but smokes some (haven't seen it personally yet). It has the manual gearbox, and looks complete. Sheet metal appears straight, although the decals and paint look pretty weathered. Not sure if the mower deck and mule drive comes with it, but do know there are no other attachments included. Has the KT-17 engine, which I am totally unfamiliar with. Does have the larger rims, and cleats in the rear. Tires look serviceable.

Questions I have are, does this machine have the 8-pinion rear, and what are the issues, if any, for the KT-17 engine.

Not real big on the hood design. Looks rather... well, strange. But I think if the tractor is spiffed up with new paint, etc., it wouldn't look bad at all.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Can't tell you much about the horse, but it is an 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.  :)

• Like 3

scotty

The thing i would look for as far as the KT-17 would be if it has the series 2. The series 1 had issues with hills. I had a c-175 with the series 2 kohler. It was a pretty nice tractor.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Price would be an issue for me. What is the asking $ ?

• Like 1

jdleach
1 hour ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Price would be an issue for me. What is the asking $ ?

$250 OBO.

As far as it smoking, I am not concerned about an overhaul, nor about any other mechanical issue for that matter. Have done auto overhauls professionally, and am a toolmaker. Rust out, broken blocks and tranny cases, etc. are the deal breakers,. the rest is just negotiation chips.

I have read that there is some concern with the Series I KT17 in regards to lubrication and hills. Where I will be using this tractor is pretty hilly. That said, I have also heard that the K301 engines are not fond of hills either, yet my 312 has never exhibited any problems. Of course I am quite anal about oil levels, cleanliness, etc.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I've heard the same thing about the series 1 vs the series 2 many times. I don't have any experience with either but I would take heed in what they are saying. I'll also say that with what you are doing you'll never work that 312 to death. That K series is dang near bullet proof. The 4 pinion differential may not be as strong as an 8 pinion but it one tough bugger. As long as you take care of it you won't have any problems. Also 12hp will do everything you need. Nothing wrong with wanting more but for all the work you mentioned it is plenty. Other than the tires it is the same size as the C-175. All the attachments will interchange. At that kind of money is does sound hard to pass up. :)

• Like 1

elliot ness

The series 2 is a great Kolher twin, the rest of the tractor is ,well a C-series and they are tough as nails . Sounds like you could fix any problem that it might have.

• Like 1

pfrederi

It is a no brainer if it is a series II  they are great tractors and smooth engines. A little smoke on start up is no big deal.  Problem with the Series 1 is inadequate lubrication especially when operated on hills.  Problem is they tend to throw a rod and in the process frequently crack the crankcase, sort of precludes overhaul.  Some say that if you keep it overfilled on oil the problem isn't as bad...

I have 2 C175s.  One has a series II and is a neat machine.  The other has a very,very, well used Series 1 out of a John Deere.  well over 2000 hours.  smokes on start up but it clears up and she runs well....

• Like 1

jdleach

Thank you very much for all the very informative replies folks, but I called the guy just now, and he has sold the tractor. Kinda moot at this point.

I reckon I'll just keep looking........

Any members here in Indiana who has a decent C-175? Rather sold myself on getting one now.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Hate to say it but you should have bought that one for $250. I've learned here on RS that having an extra 16oz of oil above the full mark takes care of the hill problem. 

• Like 2