IthacaJeff

mule drive pulley removal

IthacaJeff

Hi folks,

Before I go about destroying things, how is the pulley on my mule drive removed. The bearings fried the other day on the outer pulley. There are no snap rings, so I assume it is a press fit. But before I pull out the wheel puller, is there any trick to this?

Thanks, all.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The pulleys are not press-=fit, but they do rust to the shaft after years and years.  I have a 1" slot cut into the end of my workbench just for this purpose. 

Don't hammer onto the end of the threaded shaft...you'll ruin it.  Leave the bigass nut on, them hammer the nut... until the pulleys break loose.

MULE FIX (1).JPG

• Like 6

squonk

I would have said " Big Honkin Nut"  but you get the idea! :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

rmaynard

I have a "sacrificial" nut that I screw on after removing the original. That way, if you happen to beat the crap out of that nut, you have the good one left to put back on. And remember to leave the nut loose by a couple turns so you have room for movement when you are hammering it.

• Like 2

tunahead72

A little PB Blaster helps too. Worst one I ever had, I let it soak overnight, came back the next morning and smacked it gently with a rubber mallet, pulleys slid right off. Be ready to catch the rest of the assembly.

• Like 1

DougC

I agree, always guard your nuts and your shaft    ( threads of course)  whenever swinging a  hammer. The last thing you want to do is flatten either one.

That would be a BAD DAY.      :(

• Like 2

JimmyJam

My bearings in my mule drive are bad too! Mine has a snap ring, which I removed and now soaking in PB Blaster until tomorrow and follow everyone's advice. Where do you purchase the correct replacement bearings?

IthacaJeff

Okie - dokey. . . PB Blaster and muscle and we'll go from there.

JimmyJam

Still having trouble removing. pounding & PB Blaster. Could the bearing be pressed? ...or keep working at it? Where do you find replacement bearings?

JimmyJam

Yay! After several days of PB Blaster soaking, mine came off with only 1 whack! Pic of my pulley removal workbench. Now I have to find replacement bearings. I believe they are 6203 bearings????

0815161722 (1).jpg

Edited by JimmyJam
add photo

gwest_ca

6203 Bearing Ball .669"x1.575"x.472"  or  17mm x 40mm x 12mm

There is also a 6203 with a 3/4" ID.

You will want the 2RS which has 2 seals

Garry

• Like 2

JimmyJam

Thanks Garry! Just ordered them off eBay!