tunahead72

R.I.P. Gene Logsdon

tunahead72

I just read last night that one of my favorite authors had passed away recently, and I had to sigh. :mellow:

I first read Gene's stuff back in the early 1980's when he was writing for the Rodale Press, mostly articles and essays about homesteading, gardening and practical skills for living in the country.  It was all fascinating reading for me as a small-town guy in his late twenties who'd never been exposed to any of this information, and it came in enormously handy as my wife and I figured out how to keep our old stone house on an overgrown acre up and running.

Later, I started reading his complete books, starting with The Contrary Farmer, based on his experiences on the family farm in Ohio.  It was humorous and philosophical, and full of practical wisdom for coping with whatever life and nature throw at you.  I still pick up his books and read them cover to cover every once in a while, especially on my trips down to our place in Virginia.

I'll miss you Gene, but I will put a copy of your latest book on my Christmas wish list this year.

• Like 5

DennisThornton

I'm sure I could be more diplomatic, but in all honesty my first thought was "Oh Crap!"

Darn!  We've lost a good soul!  I really enjoyed what I've read and I'll try to gather all of his works now.

You've done such a good job of describing him and his works that I will not further comment, other than to say that I strongly recommend his writings and I'm sure there are many here that would also.

I'm so sorry to hear of the news but I thank you so much for realizing that some folks here and perhaps many would want to know.  Darn!  We lost a good one!

• Like 1