ACman

Truly addicted horseoholic

TIGman

ACman I fit your description of a "Horseoholic". ;). And to tell you the truth I'm not looking for the cure either.

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I am like you to. We are moving, I dont know where yet. So the question becomes what kind of storage space will I have. Until I know that, I have to control myself. lol Good post, good topic.

Glenn

• Like 4

ACman
19 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I am like you to. We are moving, I dont know where yet. So the question becomes what kind of storage space will I have. Until I know that, I have to control myself. lol Good post, good topic.

Glenn

Thanks Gleen , but I'm sure there's more stories out there. So come on people lets here them . It don't need to internet related , mowing , plowing , fixing , cleaning , flipping  , ect . How do you cope with your addiction .

953 nut
2 hours ago, ACman said:

hopefully an A111 that may just get turned into a power wheel chair

I was wondering how long it would be before you did a conversion like this. An E-81 is already electric powered but I guess you would need to transplant the entire drive mechanism from a power chair in the rear and use casters from a zero turn in the front along with the joystick controller.

• Like 2

ACman
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I was wondering how long it would be before you did a conversion like this. An E-81 is already electric powered but I guess you would need to transplant the entire drive mechanism from a power chair in the rear and use casters from a zero turn in the front along with the joystick controller.

Your  exactly right  :) . That's my plan , and hopefully it all comes together . It's just finding the time and help , like all my projects . 

• Like 2

ACman

Ok , I have two ideas with this A series mower but , I have  to get it first (all I really need is the tub) . Here's a pic , but that's a whole new thread I'll start , If all goes planned .

image.jpeg

I guess , that's another way I feed my addiction . Just thinking of different costume builds I could do just with all the parts I have . Wondering if a 516H trans would fit behind a 953 frame . Also trying to learn all the different models and differences . It can be anything .

• Like 5

Uncle Buck

Fortunately I do not think I am quite as addicted just yet. That little number above holds no appeal whatsoever for me so that means I am in the clear right! ;)

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

My grand daughter want a lawn skiff.       lol      Wayne

• Like 3

Wishin4a416

Sounds like your getting quite a collection. It can be addicting. I have to refrain myself because of storage. I do have an xi on the way though supposedly. Good Luck!

• Like 3

WheelHorseNut

ACMan, I'm with ya...I find myself scouring all the usual places for deals -- and I find them often but I just don't have the space.  I need a barn!

My wife will come by my chair in the evening and if I have my iPad on me, she'll say, what are you looking at, tractors?  She's aware of my addiction.  I actually turned my brother-in-law on to Wheel Horses...When I see something that might work for him, I'll let him know.  When he goes to get one, I'll go with him.  It'll help me and him -- I get the 'fix' of buying another tractor without buying another tractor and he'll get the little bit of experience I have with them.  It's a win-win! Lol

• Like 7

ACman

13 minutes ago, WheelHorseNut said:

ACMan, I'm with ya...I find myself scouring all the usual places for deals -- and I find them often but I just don't have the space.  I need a barn!

My wife will come by my chair in the evening and if I have my iPad on me, she'll say, what are you looking at, tractors?  She's aware of my addiction.  I actually turned my brother-in-law on to Wheel Horses...When I see something that might work for him, I'll let him know.  When he goes to get one, I'll go with him.  It'll help me and him -- I get the 'fix' of buying another tractor without buying another tractor and he'll get the little bit of experience I have with them.  It's a win-win! Lol

Yes , it always pays to have a partner in crime  :ph34r: . Me and the cuz share the stable , and we definitely feed each other's purchases .  

• Like 4

squonk
5 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Glenn

Just buy em and I'll "store them" for a few years until you're settled. :)

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

I had owned a Wheel Horse for years, then one day I had the addiction. I had it really bad for several years. I woke up thinking about Wheel Horses, I thought about Wheel Horses all day no matter what I was doing, I surfed CL looking for Wheel Horses when I was in meetings. I read about Wheel Horses at home and tried to learn everything I could about them. I finally got it under control over a period of time and now enjoy it more than ever. I met some good people along the way too.

• Like 7

KC9KAS

At 1st my wife really never said anything about my WH addiction and I brought home what I wanted and when I wanted, no problem.

Well, now she has her own GT (Gilson) and is complaining that the barn is too full for her tractor to safely be in there, so she wants ME to thin MY herd!

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher
11 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

I had owned a Wheel Horse for years, then one day I had the addiction. I had it really bad for several years. I woke up thinking about Wheel Horses, I thought about Wheel Horses all day no matter what I was doing, I surfed CL looking for Wheel Horses when I was in meetings. I read about Wheel Horses at home and tried to learn everything I could about them. I finally got it under control over a period of time and now enjoy it more than ever. I met some good people along the way too.

Wheel-N-It  I am with you. As you get older I think you get to be a picky, You I did that done that seen it all ready doing it. So It is a settling thing. you say do I really needed it. For me it would have to be special, some thing that is original shape.  Unmolested. I have torn down to many of them. To me it gets old after awhile. I do not post all that I buy because I flip a lot of them. Just my:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

squonk
13 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

At 1st my wife really never said anything about my WH addiction and I brought home what I wanted and when I wanted, no problem.

Well, now she has her own GT (Gilson) and is complaining that the barn is too full for her tractor to safely be in there, so she wants ME to thin MY herd!

Just get her a shed of her own for her Gilson that she can decorate, plant flowers around ect. and she'll forget about how many tractors you have. :)

• Like 6

ACman
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Just get her a shed of her own for her Gilson that she can decorate, plant flowers around ect. and she'll forget about how many tractors you have. :)

I was just going to tell @KC9KAS sorta kinda the same thing . After seeing his :silence: I mean her Gilson , I find myself looking at acouple Monkey Wards that have popped up . Both all original in very good shape . Thankfully I'm strapped into my chair , so the wife can't kick me in the  :kbutt: Also I think she would  :huhs: , so it's a good deterrent  :happy-partydance: .

• Like 5

KC9KAS
9 hours ago, squonk said:

If I thought that would really work....................

• Like 2

squonk

Wife wanted things fixed around here. Always said "I need you to do this." I bought her a whole bunch of tools at Lowes and now she doesn't bother me anymore. :)

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
16 minutes ago, squonk said:

Wife wanted things fixed around here. Always said "I need you to do this." I bought her a whole bunch of tools at Lowes and now she doesn't bother me anymore. :)

My wife has tried to fix a few things when I dragged my feet, so she grabs my tools and has at it.

After that experience, NOW, I fix it quick as I can. Why? Much simpler job then fixing what she tried to fix. Lol, I think you guys know what I mean.

Glenn

• Like 4

DennisThornton

For me it's a progression of actually needing tools.  Hammer, then Paslode, shovel then backhoe, chainsaw then sawmill, one lawnmower to several GTs.  No matter what anybody says, more of a good thing is better!  If more is not good then it was not a "good thing" to start with.  One can't have all the Wheel Horses but one can start.  One can't have all the tractors but one can start!

I don't even think if it as collecting because like I said, one can't collect ALL of them.  When you think of how many different Wheel Horses there were and how many different tractor BRANDS there were how could anyone think we're are actually trying to acquire ALL of them.  I'm not addicted, just an innocent beginner gathering tools.  

Edited by DennisThornton
"an"
  • Like 2

ACman

OK , back at it...after picking up a few more tractors (520H , A-81 , 856) . I've been trying to limit myself on lurking over all the common sites for :wh:Horses until I finish some projects . So I was looking for some wheelchair parts and came across a free power chair :woohoo: for my A-81 project . Well then I did a search of my local surrounding areas just to see what's close by . What pops up not even a mile from me a "Original Cab" for a 314A (should fit my 520 ?) and a tall shoot snowblower :o . Heck even had a fellow member PM me about it . Been thinking about cab and tall shoot after seeing some of your guys post . Well being close to Christmas I'm short on $$$ and then next month it's property taxes :handgestures-thumbdown: that are outrageous . All I here from the wife is :naughty: and :bitch:! Now I can't stop thinking of those slipping through my fingers being so close by . I know deals will always be out there in the future but me being me my mind is spinning :confusion-seeingstars: trying to figure a way to pick these up . Oh the price I pay for being a Horseoholic :angry-banghead:

• Like 3

DougC

I won't tell you to just go ahead and buy them and maybe cause a riot to break out at your house,  Christmas is NOT the time to have the wife tee'd off at you.

I will wish you luck however and hope somehow Santa will make it happen buddy!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

JackC

The Wheel Horse addiction we share? Lets face it, they are one of the finest examples of old school American quality, engineering, and styling. The good deals are just way too hard to pass up when we see them, After you reach a certain number you will finally realize what you did was not such a good idea. The number was around 30 for me. There is always always a good deal out there that will be way too difficult to pass up if you see it.  Best thing is to not even look.  Easier said than done. Instead focus on what you already have and take care of what they need. Don't just accumulate corpses that take up room in the barn and serve no useful purpose other than to look at. Parts tractors for your favorite models are OK.

Every unit you acquire adds a storage burden and a time and expense maintenance burden. I have spent far more on storage than I have for the tractors. I love what I have, I love working on them, and have no more room for more. I need to do the repairs waiting to get done before I add any more. I also have a tough time selling anything I acquire and you just can't get what they are truly worth so I keep them. I am having a very tough time finding the time to play with all my ponies that need my attention. In the mean time the batteries go dead, the tires go flat, the points and electrical connections oxidize, and the fuel goes stale and kruds up the fuel systems and the maintenance burdens get even bigger.

Perhaps we should adopt the rule that is true in life that if we don't use it we need to lose it? Also, Imagine the burden you will leaving behind for someone if you die with a large collection. If you have a kid or other relative with the same problem and you pass it all on to them then your collection should be covered and you will make someone happy instead of leaving someone with a big problem. Also, make up an inventory of what you have and what your estate should look to get for each piece if sold rather than passed on and put a date on it and update it from time to time. Also specify what you want to happen with your collection in your will or trust document.

We do not want any of our collections to wind up at the dump if dealt with by folks who mean well but have no clue.  While we are on the subject, it may be a good time to update your legal documents to include and protect your collections.  You could even include a provision to offer them to members on RedSquare first if you need to.  RedSquare will always be here with new members. Some day we will all meet in Wheel Horse heaven and get all the time we need to play with our horses.  I am at least bringing my 520-HC and my D-200 with me. See you there. Happy Holidays to all. 

By the way, I love busting those bulbs at the top of the website. Thanks to whoever came up with that.

• Like 4