69-Raider-10

69' Raider 10 - HH100 Lausen. No Spark

69-Raider-10

Afternoon all,

Newbie here so I apologize in advance for any procedural errors. Figured this would be a good kicking off point.

Short and sweet; I have a well maintained 69' Raider 10 with the Lauson motor (HH100). I gave her a bath/wax, topped off fluids and grease, etc, and took a ride to listen for any odd noises. Running perfectly and then just died. After some basic investigation I pulled the plug and grounded it, no spark whatsoever while turning over. It's a new plug and it worked fine so it's not the plug. Motor/starter crank like a bear, no problems there. Almost has to be a bum coil or stater? Any tips on how to narrow it down or what to look for? 

Thanks in advance for any information! Love this place so far. So much excellent information. I'm hooked!

Terry M

Does this engine have the "solid state" pointless ignition system?

WheelHorseNut
15 minutes ago, Terry M said:

Does this engine have the "solid state" pointless ignition system?

Yeah, I was thinking points, too but then I remembered that since I also have one of those...

Here's a technician's handbook for the HH100 - Pg 45 is all about the ignition.

hh100.pdf

P.S. I didn't see this in the files section so I uploaded it here.  If the Mods want to add it to the file list and remove this file from the post and change it to a link, that'd be great!

Edited by WheelHorseNut
Added a P.S.

Terry M

I don't know much about the ignition modules for your engine, but I believe they can be repaired.   Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in...

69-Raider-10

Thanks for the info! Never saw this manual before. Very informative and gives me some footing. I'll provide an update should I get her running. I'm still looking for a coil just in case. Found 3 on Ebay and they're all well used and North on $160....:blink:

gwest_ca

Wonder if Ed Stoller would have a solution once you determine what is wrong with it?

http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/

Garry

Adding

We do have the service manual and others in the Engine Other catagory

69-Raider-10
12 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Wonder if Ed Stoller would have a solution once you determine what is wrong with it?

http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/

Garry

Adding

We do have the service manual and others in the Engine Other catagory

WOW. That dude is really dedicated to his craft. I've been reading his reading on and off for hours. I now have mixed feelings; on one hand I'm ecstatic to have access to that incredibly thorough information. On the other hand, I didn't realize how much could go wrong with a 69' SS ignition system! :-D

parsonsponyz

Thanks so much 69Raider.  I read through part of his information and will have to come back to it after church, then it is time to go testing.  I dug up some old Tecumseh literature last night and was amused that in one part of the article it basically said to replace with new parts to fix.  Well I don't have that kind of money to waste.  I plan on testing this afternoon/evening to determine the failure.  Hope your progressing on your machine.  Keep me informed.  

Mark

tbarnhart

I had the problem on my '74 C-160 with a OH160 Tecumseh. I was able to dig the potting out of the back of the module and figured out it was only a diode had shorted out. Replaced that and it came alive again. It lasted about six months and died again. Another diode this time. Back to running again, but I don't know what will go next time. If y'all are just going to toss those old units in the trash, I'd love to have them to experiment with. Send me a PM, and I'll get you an address.