Team70R

My shifter broke off!!

Team70R

Just picked up an old 60's model I believe! Still unsure of the model but that's for another day!  Anyway the shifter broke off right at the case. What's the safest way of getting the broken half out? I believe it's a 3 speed 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

MalMac

I would say try using a strong magnet then loosen the dog holding screw. As the screw backs out the magnet might keep it from falling on down in the transmission. Just a Idea. Maybe someone else will chime in here that has experience with this. 

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

If you have a welder you could tack a piece of rod on the end

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS:  Good luck with your new WH.

Keep us posted on your progress with the shifter.

AMC RULES

That pict is no help...  :WRS:

please show us the shifter, where it broke off. 

953 nut

The shifter is retained by a "Dog Point" screw (right side). Back off on the lock nut, loosen the dog point and the rest of the shifter will come out. No fear of it falling inside.

shifter forks.jpg

• Like 3

Team70R

Here's what it currently looks like

image.jpeg

• Like 2

rmaynard

Hopefully, when you loosen the jamb nut (arrow), the dog-point set screw will come out with it and not break off. Then the remaining bit of the shift should be able to be pulled out with pliers or a strong magnet.

broke.jpeg

Team70R

Awesome thanks! Should I go ahead and apply some heat to it to avoid breaking it off?

• Like 1

rmaynard

That or a little PB Blaster penetrating oil wouldn't hurt. It's a 1/4"-20 Allen head set screw. But it should be protruding at least 1/4" beyond the nut, so it you can't see a 5-sided hole in the end, it too must be broken off and a new one will be needed.

Oh, by the way, :WRS:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I think I would try to clean out around where the shifter broke, oil the heck out of it and around the jam nut...and let is soak for a few days before I tried to do anything.  Don't force that nut...you don't want to break that set screw...it is hardened steel.  My guess is that you will be opening the transmission.  Not a big deal, it is a 2 piece tranny and anything you need is available. :)

Welcome to Red square.

• Like 3

Team70R

Thanks everyone for the welcoming! Gonna try to get it out tonight 

• Like 1

rmaynard

How about posting some pictures of the rest of the tractor? :wwp:

• Like 2

Team70R

image.jpeg.b98159630072a28dce096d77971770e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.01cbdc546ba09dafa73af0cc93cc61b8.jpeg

Edited by CasualObserver
rotated pics
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

WOW...talk about a labor of love.  It is a "Short Frame Square Hood"...1965-1967 depending on a few things.  What kind of engine was on her?  What is the story behind this horse?  Deck looks pretty good.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Team70R

I picked it up for free. Been in a fence row for the last 20+ years. Looks to be an 8 horse kohler with electric start. 

• Like 1

ol550

Don't want to dampen the spirit of this post, but I would recommend opening the case before wasting any time on the shifter.

My limited experience tells me its full of water or has been.  Most likely a rusted mess. 

• Like 3

953 nut
3 hours ago, Team70R said:

Been in a fence row for the last 20+ years.

Will it roll freely presuming it is not in gear? If it is in gear and you jack up one wheel and turn the input pulley does it turn the wheel? If neither of these are happening then @ol550 offers a good point. There is sure to be water in there, question is how much damage has been done.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Normally, if you are going to open one of these transmissions, you would have the shallow side down and pull off the right (deeper) side.  YOU CAN NOT DO THAT if that shift fork is still stuck in the trans.    You will have to put the right side down and pull off the shallow, left side in order to get it apart.  Doing it this way, will release the shift rails and the detente balls from the left side, but that is OK...it is the only way to get it apart.  Once you do this, you can take the trans apart the rest of the way and then deal with the shifter.  When you go to put it back together, mount the left side down and build the trans back in that half.

• Like 1

Team70R

It shifted okay before I broke the shifter off haha. It's stuck in gear now and everything moves accordingly. Honestly think it's still alright inside! Just need to try and get it back into neutral.

Team70R

Bolt came out no problem!! But the broken part of the shifter won't fit through the hole?!!?

953 nut

Need to chip away some of the rust accumulation around the shifter and then drench it with PB Blaster ans let it stand overnight. The ball is only slightly smaller than the socket it rests in.

1 hour ago, Team70R said:

shifted okay before I broke the shifter off

:woohoo:

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Team70R

Got it!! It's a good thing I get pb blaster for free! Now where's the best place to find a shifter?

• Like 1

rmaynard

Let me check my storage shed tomorrow. I may have a nice one.

• Like 1

Team70R
12 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Let me check my storage shed tomorrow. I may have a nice one.

Awesome thank you!!

• Like 1