857 horse

This is such a nice survivor,,,,,,dismantel it....clean everything up....and reassemble it,,,,,,,no paint......

I envy you and this excellent find.....Dont get me wrong....I love a shiney tractor......

But i see a true gem under the little dirt and grim that is here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Good luck...what ever happens,,,this is a cleaner and straighter round hood than what most guys have after their rescue efforts,,,,,Craig says it best,,,,,save a piece of :wh: history ,,,,,,,,,,,,

thanks for sharing.....        Howard 857 Horse in VA..............

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 6

Wheel-N-It

Looking good. You have a nice place to work on it :)

• Like 2

dells68

Not 100%, but I believe it is a 1960 400, going by the control levers and the hood stand.  Very nice find by the way:handgestures-thumbupright:.  I wonder about the hood decals though.  They aren't suburban decals.

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS: The throttle controls and foot pads definitely are for a 1960, most likely a 400. Looks like you have a nice clean roller to start with.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

wedge

From What I was told nothing on it was changed but the motor. It is a Light Greenish white ? It dose have the bent long exhaust pipe still intact But it broke a rod and windowed the block.

I was thinking a restomod like a small wide tire puller look But I am still up in the air ??

Not sure on motor yet and so on ? I see a lot of restored ones n=but I have never been a 100 points type of guy.

Wheel-N-it : I have a full fab shop as I build pro street and track cars. The bud table I use tor Micro sprints and go karts so it dose come in handy !!

Keep the input coming as I said I am still up in the air on what way to go with it ???

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Another vote for a good cleaning and reassembly here...      :handgestures-thumbsup:

they're only original once, and that :wh: is definitely too clean to restore. 

• Like 5

953 nut
9 hours ago, wedge said:

roll pin in the steering wheel is locked and some one broke a punch off it the other side

I have found that heating the roll pin with a torch and letting it cool removes the hardening and will allow you to drill it out.

:text-coolphotos:          I agree, 1960 400 Suburban (no battery box). Diffidently like the idea of removing the wrong year decals and give it a good cleaning. A wonderful survivor like this should be celebrated! 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I also  vote for no paint.   

A good cleaning, a  massage with  green scotch brite, and an oil rub down.....makes all these old girls come to life and look good.   :twocents-02cents:

Good luck no matter what you decide and :text-welcomeconfetti:  to  :rs:

BTW, when all the else failed, In order to not damage the steering wheels, I have cut the shaft to be able to place the shaft in a vise to drive out the pin and to drive the shaft out of the wheel.   Then bevel, weld, and grind the shaft smooth.

• Like 2

Racinbob

I'm not sure the battery box thing holds true in 1960 Richard. I believe the battery on a 550 was under the seat. That could be why the tool box and fenders were standard on the 550 and optional on the 400. I don't know if there is a way to verify which one it is. :)

Edited by Racinbob

ol550

I'll go with 400, no holes in the toolbox where a solenoid would have been. As far as what to do with it... Make it shine.

857 horse
10 hours ago, 857 horse said:

This is such a nice survivor,,,,,,dismantel it....clean everything up....and reassemble it,,,,,,,no paint......

I envy you and this excellent find.....Dont get me wrong....I love a shiny tractor......

But i see a true gem under the little dirt and grim that is here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Good luck...what ever happens,,,this is a cleaner and straighter round hood than what most guys have after their rescue efforts,,,

read down further in this thread....AMC RULES says it best,,,,,,Thank-you Craig,,,,,,Wonderful machine :wh:

thanks for sharing.....        Howard 857 Horse in VA..............

• Like 2

dells68

Keep it original if you can.  Don't do anything that can't be undone.  I picked up a molested 1961 550 and made a rat rod out of it and love it, but it was sliced, diced, and glued back together worse than a rubics cube!  Check out my rat rod build thread.

Edited by dells68
  • Like 2

oliver2-44

Great find!

I think an "original sleeper" would be cool

Keep it all original. Rub out and polish the old paint.......

then since you need an engine.....soup up something that looks close to original

then do some engine Lilly sizing so it will smoke the turf tired 

wedge

The hood need some cracks welded and the lower mount welded also. I was going to Powder coat 90% of it for that SMOOTH look but now you guys got me thinking that Original RatRod look. If anyone has an old tecumsie engine I am looking for one.

You know I really don't even need to disassemble the rear as its tight and ready to go. SO I may just go this rout ??

You guys sure do have Very good points on all aspects of it that's for sure . I just wanted my first Ball Burner to be special !! :lol:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Might swap a Kohler in there instead.  

• Like 1

wedge

Craig : Any idea on the size or # I am looking for ?

AMC RULES

Kohler...K-90...or K-91.

wedge

Thank you !

Never did much with them before only Briggs !

Retired Wrencher

wedge  Ok Very nice but I have to ask because no one else did. How did you get the hole tractor  on the work bench? are you that strong??????? keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 2

wedge

HAHA ! Yea kinda wish I was ! But no. Its a jig/work table and it has wheels on it. Plus my truck is lifted so I just rolled it up to my tail gate and rolled the tractor rite onto the table. When I finish it I will lift it of with my auto twin post lift or chain fall.

Will keep you all posted

• Like 1

Achto
13 hours ago, wedge said:

You know I really don't even need to disassemble the rear as its tight and ready to go

Make sure you at least pull a lower transmission case screw to drain the oil. Want to make sure there is no water in there. If the oil comes out fairly clean & water free then put the bolt back in and refill the trans with new oil, 90W oil. If you find water in there I would pull the trans apart and inspect/replace the bearings. 

WHX??

A Clinton B1290 wouldn't be out of line for a motor as they were know to be used on early 400's. thas what mine left the factory with.

Good luck with the sterring wheel you might need it. Getting the roll pin out might be just the start of the battle. I finally gave up on might for fear I might damage it with too much heat/pressure. If I need to take the steering shaft out just loosen the collars and shaft pinion will have a role pin in it that sometimes is easier as the grease & crud down there protected it from seizing.

I've got a thread going on where the boys here convinced me to leave in it's work clothes and it's working out nicely. Lots of other good Suburban help in the resto section  as well. Just got the motor back after a long wait at machine shops so hopefully should be finishing it up shortly.

Good luck, have fun and keep us posted ...we do like our :text-coolphotos:

wedge

Achto : I pulled the drain plug and the oil came out Clean. So that being said and no leaks I think I am good to go with a refill.

WHX7 : I hear ya on the roll pin ! Going to take it slow. Hate to tear up the steering wheel as it is in pretty good shape. Has a slight bend but not all beaten up.

I will post more pics when I get back on it. Working two jobs sucks ! But need the funds to keep going at it !! LOL!!

Racinbob

You've got a great start to whatever you want to do with it. The hood it straight, the hood :)stand has only been cut a little, the throttle and choke controls are there. Nice!!