crazyhorse1056

Rj 58 or 59

crazyhorse1056

I have a question about a RJ I have maybe someone on here can answer for me my question is would my RJ be considered a 59 and not a 58 because the date on the transmission is January 15 1959 the tag on the frame is missing and the transmission is original to the tractor but the tag on the frame had rj 58 on it the original owner told me but he didn't remember the serial number on it 

AMC RULES

I've always heard tell here...    :dunno:

they're all considered to be '58's regardless of the date on the trans. 

Edited by AMC RULES

WheelHorse79

My understanding is that the Ponds used the RJ58 serial number stickers until they ran out later in '59.  Approximately the last 2500 RJ58's built were received an RJ59 serial number, and are the "true" RJ59's.  That's why a "true" RJ59 is a fairly rare beast.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

My understanding, like was said above...the RJ 58 was the same horse...whether it was built in 1958 or 1959.  It does appear that some of the "stick on" stickers did have RJ 59 on them, but it seems like none of those have survived.  With that being said, your transmission date of Jan. 15, 1959 (and you say it is original)...would be hard to have been built in 1958.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  So..........your RJ 58 was built in 1959.  :think:  :)

Does that make since??

• Like 1

crazyhorse1056

Yes I just didn't want to say it was a 58 and it would be more correct to say it was a 59 

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Does that make since??

Just another conundrum that Elmer and Cecil Pond left behind for us to spend countless hours contemplating!   :ychain: Funny thing is we love doing it.  :ROTF:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Crazyhorse...you can call it anything you want...just don't call it late for dinner.  :)  I don't think anyone will argue with you with that casting date you have.  Pretty cool really.  It would be nice for you to post some pictures of this horse, and maybe add them to the gallery on the main page.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

crazyhorse1056

image.jpeg

Thanks for the info 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

WheelHorse79

Beautiful RJ!  Mine must be an early RJ58 because it doesn't have a casting date at all.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

WheelHorse79...that would be correct.  :)  I wish I had written down all the casting dates for all the #5003 & #5010 transmissions that I have torn apart.  :think:  I'd have about 25 to 30 entries.