BigRedGrizzly

C Series snow blade

BigRedGrizzly

Hi all... I am restoring a GT14 and having a hard time sourcing a snow plow for it. I was recently informed that a C-series plow fits the GT14. I understand the GT14 requires a long frame set up. But I feel like I read somewhere that there are 2 versions of long frame plows. An early version and a later version. So... I'm confused and just not certain exactly what I can use for it. I do have a snow plow that will fit most tractors. Has anyone modified a plow like this to fit a GT14 or another long frame tractor?

here are a few pics of the plow I have. It's a 42" snow plow. 

10B31487-241B-4842-8695-9D3C63AC5DEA.jpg

283D9C90-2003-43B5-B6F1-35A6B9ED2CC4.jpg

gwest_ca

This is just what I think I know.

The plow and rear axle hitch may work as long as you keep them together. That rear axle hitch mounts on the front of the rear axle housing and the A-frame mounts inside the hitch.

The GT-14 used a 54" wide blade where the others used a 42" blade at the time. The 48" blade didn't show up until 1984.

The blade and completing package available in 1969.

The blade and completing package available 1970-1973

Notice they included a long bolt and spacer that was installed in the tractor frame to limit the steering. The A-frame was moved to outside the rear hitch. That way the same A-frame would work on the short frame tractors by moving the rear crossbar.

Later on the rear hitch was mounted to under the rear axle housing which required a longer A-frame again.

I'm thinking all the long frame plows will fit as long as the rear hitch stays with the plow.

Garry

• Like 1

oldredrider

The plow frame you have will not work as is with your GT14. That is a dozer blade for a short frame. The C series plows will work on your GT14 as I have used them on mine with no mods.

Hold on to the plow you have and keep searching for the elusive 54" model made for your tractor....they are out there. Maybe trade or sell yours to offset the cost of the proper snow plow.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I believe this is the first long frame blade

Garry

• Like 1

DennisThornton
13 hours ago, oldredrider said:

The plow frame you have will not work as is with your GT14. That is a dozer blade for a short frame. The C series plows will work on your GT14 as I have used them on mine with no mods.

Hold on to the plow you have and keep searching for the elusive 54" model made for your tractor....they are out there. Maybe trade or sell yours to offset the cost of the proper snow plow.

OH!  Was that 54" the first WH blade that wide?  Used on anything else?  Other years?

gwest_ca

A 54" blade was used for the 18hp Auto models (D-Series) in 1973

In 1974 they were increased to 56" and used for the D-Series and the 16hp C-Series models.

1975 was the same.

Garry

• Like 1

BigRedGrizzly

Ok... Great info guys. Thank you much. I will keep the snow blade I have because I think it will fit my 308-8.  I will search for the 54" snow blade made for the GT14. 

:icecream:

gwest_ca

Just to be clear the blades are likely the same as far as attachment to the A-frame goes but the D-Series A-frames are different.

Garry

• Like 1

BigRedGrizzly

Hey guys... Just to wrap up this thread I wanted to let you all know I managed to get an a-frame and 54" snow blade that will fit my GT14. Thanks again for your guidance...:icecream:

63335021-3B09-4ED1-94B9-E62495EAB512.jpg

• Like 1

oldredrider

You may have paid a healthy price for that plow, but once you get your beast up and running, you'll find it was worth every penny.  The GT14 will MOVE some snow!

• Like 1