Sign in to follow this  
dieselhorse

Mike's 654 Diesel project

dieselhorse

Did I hear someone mention a diesel repower????? I am in the process of doing just this. I am using an air cooled yanmar clone sold thru Carroll Stream Motors. This is my second repower having done a John Deere 112 round fender previously. The diesel is 4.5hp, which is equil to a 7-8hp gas engine in the torque dept. The tractor is a 654 that I bought on fleabay that came with a nice solid mower deck, and a Tecmusah 6hp recoil start in pieces. The 654 is set up for electric start so it came with the battery box. I added a new hole in the hood (GASP) for the fuel filler on the diesels fuel tank. I had looked into redesigning the muffler set up so I could retain the WH tank. However, I was not wanting a stack or a large external muffler set up. I plan to patch the original fuel filler hole and body work it to be invisible when I am done. I have the correct double belt pulley to put on the engine, but I had not installed it yet when I took these pictures. I have driven it around and its quite powerfull and will have no problem running the mower deck when I mow the yard. I will get more current pictures this weekend if not tomorrow to show the latest progress. The 654 is also now sporting a pair of 6-12 rice patty ags from a compact 4x4 tractor. These are super aggressive, much more so than the normal 6-12 ags. The front tires will stay as they are, I dont care for tri ribs for mowing and dont see a need for them when I plow with the moldboard plow. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Mike

6cdd_1.jpg

7e50_1.jpg

wheelhorse3.jpg

wheelhorse.jpg

nylyon

Very nice Mike and Welcome, good to have you here!

combatmp29r

Looks good MIke!! :D

Welcome to the square.

Stigian

Welcome to RedSquare Mike.

Interesting re-power :D

It was mentioned to me that i should get one of these engines to replace the very worn engine in my Raider 10, so heres a few questions for you :P

Im guessing the engine didnt bolt up to the original engine mounting holes, did you make a mounting plate up or drill new holes in the chassis?

What width and length is the crankshaft out the engine?

Oh and how does the engine sound through the copper exhaust? :(:(

Cheers

Ian

dieselhorse

the copper pipe is heavy wall and I think quiets it down a bit more than if it didnt have it. I plan to make a nicer chrome turn out when I get more along and the rest of the pipe will become black with high temp paint. I drilled new holes for th engine as I already had a height issue. I had to raise the hood 1 inch on this model. The 4.5hp diesel will fit without hood mods on the later squared off hoods. If you go to that companys website, they have line drawings with measuments. For the 4.5hp diesel, the shaft is 2.5" long by 3/4 dia with an industry standard key way. The 6 and 10 hp diesels have 1 inch shafts with 1/4 keyways. One could make a custom flange to pipe thread adapter and make a whole new muffler set up. However I haul this inside my GMC Suburban so a stack was out of the question. Cheers Mike

kpinnc

Very nice project there. I'll bet it sounds nice!

Kevin

Rollerman

Mike glad to see you on Red Square & welcome! :D

I followed your buildup of the JD112 in L&G collector mag...unless that was another. :(

I have been wanting to do a diesel conversion on a Wheel Horse or even my 1 ton roller. :P

Be good to have someone to pester with questions that been down this road all ready! :(

I'd like to ask where you get your 6X12 rice patty ags also.

dieselhorse

I got the ags thru a friend in one of the cub cadet groups. You see them from time to time on ebay, but thru the dealer, they are like 140+ each! All the printing, other than the Bridgestone name is in Japanese. I am the one who built that 112rfd that was in the magazine. Feel free to ask me whatever you need to. Mike

sorekiwi

Did I hear someone mention a diesel repower????? I am in the process of doing just this. I am using an air cooled yanmar clone sold thru Carroll Stream Motors. This is my second repower having done a John Deere 112 round fender previously. The diesel is 4.5hp, which is equil to a 7-8hp gas engine in the torque dept. The tractor is a 654 that I bought on fleabay that came with a nice solid mower deck, and a Tecmusah 6hp recoil start in pieces.

I was watching that tractor on ebay, glad it went to someone who will something good to it. Should be a tidy installation when you're done.

dieselhorse

Time for new pics. I got a bit more done this weekend, got the starting circuit wired up and a throttle cable set up and working. I still have to set up the charging circuit. Runs and drives nice, I hope once I switch to the WH pulley that I can get the belt to stop when I push in the clutch, right now I run without the belt cover so I can use my heel to stop the belt to put it in gear. Cheers Mike

000_1356.jpg

000_1355.jpg

Sparky

Once you have the drive belt guard in place the belt will stop when you push in the clutch.

Mike.....

TT

Looks great, Mike !

And remember.........

The belt guard also helps as a guide(s) to make the belt slip at the engine pulley when the tension is released. You will need the correct diameter engine pulley so the guard will fit, but you still need the belt guard to make it declutch correctly. :D

Edit:

You beat me, "Sparky" Mike! :P

"Dieselhorse" Mike -- Another thing you might want to check on is a "power rated" fabric-covered drive belt.

A "continuous tension" rubber-coated belt (like an automotive fan belt) will always want to grab and will not declutch properly, no matter what you do with it.

Curmudgeon

Yup, you have a catch 22 there. Left the belt guard off so you can use your heal, thereby necessitating you use your heal. LOL

At the risk of asking something that was mentioned somewhere above, (I'm too lazy to re-read the entire thread) where/how did you get that hood ornament?

Kelly

Nice project, I was watching that tractor also good to see it go to a good home. Keep us posted.

Now you said you haul this in your suburban? what year sub.? I've thought about if I could fit an older WH in the back, I haul sbc and anything else I can put in there :D . Kelly in MI.

dieselhorse

I have a 1997 Suburban with only two row seating. I am actualy selling the surburban though. I have the belt guard, I had to shorten it by about 3 inches to clear the engines starter. I have the correct WH pulley, just waiting on my buddy to drop it off to me! Then I can sling the mower deck underneath and get it all lined up. I kind of figured the guard helped stop the belt. Hopefully I can get the pulley from him tomorrow. I got the hood ornament off of fleabay, its made of resin, used to be as long as a normal WH one, but I shortened it up with the dremel to clear the fuel filler. Mike

oldandred

Looks good mike I have a lawn ranger i put the diesel engine on

the gas tank hole I didnt cut any hole heck I run the thing at shows around here pulling the spreader shiker and some times just ride it around and finnaly after two years rub it out of diesel then have to take the hood off but the I can check the oil and every thing else watch the little gas line from the tank to the pump mine didnt last one year before it started leaking nothing like having brown spots in the grass

Im going to try to get a picture posted next week

dieselhorse

I got the hood ornament from flea bay, it used to be as long as a standard WH ornament, but I shortened it down with my dremel to clear the fuel filler. I figured the belt guard/cover was part of the belt stopper. I have the correct pulley, as soon as my buddy droppes it off at my place!! I have a differerent belt, one that is "power rated" and fabric coated. I hope to get more done tomorrow. Mike

T-Mo

Mike,

Great progress on this repower conversion. I like the hood ornament. :D

WheelHorse_of_course

I move horses in my Sienna mini van. Funny, my charger 12 fits fine, but my 854 doesn't because it has a stack.

Those resin hood ornaments are really nice. I believe the sellers handle is glenjeri. His red key chains are really nice too.

I only hope that one day one of the ornaments closes at a low bud that I can afford :D

I like the diesel. I think with a diesel you need to add a front loader!

cheers

TT

One of Redsquare's own members makes those hood ornaments, you know?

Glen Pettit from MI ("GlenJeri" on here) -- the same fellow that makes the repro 701 & Raider dashes -- makes them.

Maybe he's listening ????? :D

Edit:

Sorry -- it took me longer to type this. :P

dieselhorse

Yepper, thats the seller I got the horse from, I also got one of the key chains as well. I need to pick up a full set of the chrome embossed hub caps on flea bay soon before they get any more expensive. Ok, dogs are back inside from potty break, back to bed for me. Cheers Mike

dieselhorse

Glenn is who I got the horse ornament from, and I got a key chain as well. My buddy dropped off the WH pulley so I can change that out now, maybe later today. Cheers Mike

T-Mo

Small world as me and Kelly (another Red Square member) was discussing someone who makes dashes, key chains, etc. Kelly knew him, I, of course did not. Now I can place a name. I might have to do some buying from Glen.

Curmudgeon

NO WAY!!!! Glen lives a couple hours from me, met him at Constantine a few times. Hey Glen, you listening? How about a private sale? I'm too darn lazy to spend the next half hour waiting for ebay to load on dialup! LOL

dieselhorse

I got the proper WH pulley mounted, belt guard installed, all works properly, installed the mower deck and it works properly, abliet needing me to rebuild the spindles yet, but it works. I have the NOS rebuilt kit for the deck spindles sitting on my work bench, I will get to that soon. I sanded on the hood some, removed the decals from the front corners. I need to get all new decals, both front corners and the one just infont of the steering wheel. I plan to do some custom decaling as well, with the nice script "Wheel Horse" on the hood, and "diesel" near the rear of the hood on each side. I dont have warm enough digs to do painting during the winter, so that will have to wait for spring time. I have my plan how to plug the old gas tank filler hole in the hood, but it to must wait for warmer weather. Cheers Mike