russellmc301

what polisher did you buy?

• Like 1

953 nut
On 10/8/2016 at 8:08 AM, Johndeereelfman said:

need a emoticon that does cart wheels or back flips, as this would show just how happy I am with the results!!

:party:   not back flips, but happy, happy, happy!

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman
22 hours ago, russellmc301 said:

what polisher did you buy?

The brand is called Shop Force. It is a combination box that contains an electric 120 volt 10" buffer with two pads, one buffing and one applicator. The box also contains a smaller 3" detail buffer that is run off of your vehicles cigarette lighter. This polisher also has two pads, again one buffer and one applicator. Both buffers oscillate at 2,600 RPM's. The buffers were bought a few weeks ago at a yard sale, new in the box, unused, for $10.00. 

22 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:party:   not back flips, but happy, happy, happy!

Thanks Rich, that'll work!!! 

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman

Got some more work done on the RJ today, although I ran into bad news. I'll get to that shortly. Anyway, I got the frame all polished up and after running to the hardware store for more stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers, I was able to get it attached to the transmission. I also polished the front axle and spindles, so they were all assembled as well. After getting the idler arm, idler pulley, and the clutch arm all polished and ready for assembly, only then did I realize that the rear wheel needed to be removed. No big deal. However, when I went to slide the idler arm through the transmission covers, I couldn't get around from having the arm all scratched up. Frustration Number 1!!! 

IMG_20161015_174046312.jpg

IMG_20161015_174031876.jpg

So after calming down by walking away from the project for about an hour, I figured I'll install the front wheels. After putting the first wheel on, I found that I apparently grabbed the wrong set of rims for this tractor, as the hubs on these rims aren't wide enough for the spindles. Frustrating Number 2!!! So after digging through the garage, I found another set of wheels that I'm pretty sure are the original wheels for this tractor. Only trouble is, they are full of calcium and don't appear to be in the best of shape. I couldn't break the valve stems loose, however after spraying PB Blaster around the beads, I was amazed to find out how well the beads broke. I eventually cut the valve stems off with my Dremel and cutting wheel as the stems were brass. I got the tires removed and found that the calcium was contained inside an inner tube so the insides of the rims aren't bad at all. In fact, the sides that you see in the pictures below, are the only bad areas of the rims. The backsides are in good shape and should clean up well. 

IMG_20161015_173951289_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_174000671.jpg

IMG_20161015_174018222.jpg

IMG_20161015_173923555.jpg

IMG_20161015_173931190.jpg

IMG_20161015_173938316.jpg

IMG_20161015_174703538.jpg

IMG_20161015_174345683.jpg

IMG_20161015_180131822_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161015_180157277.jpg

After the tires were removed, I installed all of the grease zerks along with the zerk caps and spindle caps that I bought from Glenn. 

IMG_20161015_174106031.jpg

IMG_20161015_174143239.jpg

I sure hope tomorrow goes a lot better than today did!!! 

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
44 minutes ago, Johndeereelfman said:

after spraying PB Blaster around the beads, I was amazed to find out how well the beads broke

Great tip, thanks for sharing. Your work is outstanding, know your son will be proud.    :text-coolphotos:

• Like 3

Johndeereelfman

Not much progress today, as it was another disappointing day!

The good:

- I polished the belt guard and got that installed

- I got the rear lift cable, clamp, and hitch assembly installed.

- I got the brake rod and spring installed.

The bad:

- When I went to install the lift arm and brake/clutch pedal, I found that I needed to strip the paint from the cross member as there was no way to slide either of these pieces on. 

- After finally getting the lift arm installed, I realized that I never painted the lever that latches in the clip while in the raised position.

- I painted the steering bushing and individual tie-rod bushing silver, however the fixed tie-rod bushing is painted red. 

- When I went to install the brake/clutch pedal spring, I found that I never painted the metal plate tab that attaches to the transmission plate. 

I finally called it a day and walked away from it. Tomorrow's another day! 

IMG_20161016_171729968.jpg

IMG_20161016_171742735.jpg

IMG_20161016_171753003.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

slim67

Great job on this tractor. Any updates on this? I cant wait to see it finished.

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman

No, no updates lately slim. The weather didn't hold out for me long enough to finish last year, and since my garage isn't insulated, nor does it have enough room inside, I'll have to wait for Spring to finish this project. Sorry Sir! I usually work on remodeling the house over the Winter months, just so I can stay busy. 

I also just took notice that my membership is about to expire, so I guess I need to get that updated as well. 

Edited by Johndeereelfman
  • Like 3

slim67
57 minutes ago, Johndeereelfman said:

No, no updates lately slim. The weather didn't hold out for me long enough to finish last year, and since my garage isn't insulated, nor does it have enough room inside, I'll have to wait for Spring to finish this project. Sorry Sir! I usually work on remodeling the house over the Winter months, just so I can stay busy. 

I also just took notice that my membership is about to expire, so I guess I need to get that updated as well. 

Well fortunately spring will be here before you know. I will be watching this one. Im sure your son is going to love it. 

• Like 1

C-121uk

This whole restoration is awesome! :text-coolphotos: i've just bought one here in the UK and am hoping to do a full restoration.

• Like 1

Aldon

This thread was a great read!

• Like 1

WHX??

Agreed @Aldon....and you thought I pay and I thought you pay attention to detail, We got nothing on this guy! Sure do hope he returns to finnish this up!

• Like 2

953 nut
15 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

We got nothing on this guy!

:text-yeahthat:      @Johndeereelfman has been doing a great post; warming up a little outside so I hope he will get back to work!   :ychain:

• Like 2

slim67

JDelfman has a young man waiting more anxiously for this to be finished probably more than any of us.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Johndeereelfman

Sorry for the delay guys. Yes, I am planning on working on this tractor again, and hopefully soon. The weather here in PA is starting to warm up, however not quite to my liking just yet. Then there is the rain for what seem like every other day. Since I do all of my painting outside, I need the weather to be just a tad bit warmer yet. As soon as progress gets back underway, I will be posting again, I promise. Although, I guess I should renew my site supporter so that I can post pictures. I'll have to get the supporter dues sent out within the next week or two. Hope I can find the contacts mailing address again! 

• Like 3

Johndeereelfman

Hey Guys, just wanted to drop in and say I didn't forget about you all. This year has just been very busy at work and I haven't had the time to get back on this tractor restoration. I'm very sorry, as I know what it's like to follow someone's post and then the poster just seems to disappear without giving the finished results. That's not my method, and I'm not deserting you guys. Somethings are just a little more important right now and from the way things looks, time won't be on my side anytime soon. I will get back to this tractor eventually, and rest assured, when I do, I will continue to post my progress. I hope you all can understand and will continue to watch for updates as time allows. Thanks Guys!!

• Like 7

Aldon

The wait will be worth it👍

• Like 4

slim67
9 hours ago, Johndeereelfman said:

Hey Guys, just wanted to drop in and say I didn't forget about you all. This year has just been very busy at work and I haven't had the time to get back on this tractor restoration. I'm very sorry, as I know what it's like to follow someone's post and then the poster just seems to disappear without giving the finished results. That's not my method, and I'm not deserting you guys. Somethings are just a little more important right now and from the way things looks, time won't be on my side anytime soon. I will get back to this tractor eventually, and rest assured, when I do, I will continue to post my progress. I hope you all can understand and will continue to watch for updates as time allows. Thanks Guys!!

I know the feeling all too well. I am going to get my suburban done this fall/winter for sure. I just have too much on my plate right now and unfortunately its not a priority. I picked up a mini rail frame that I will not touch until the suburban is done. 

• Like 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, Johndeereelfman said:

Somethings are just a little more important right

Fully understand and looking forward to your progress when the Sun, Moon and Earth are all in perfect alignment.    :wacko:      Hold on, that is today!     :ychain:

• Like 5

WHX??
12 hours ago, Johndeereelfman said:

I hope you all can understand

We sure do! The nice thing about these projects is you can set them  aside when life calls but yet they are just like a good dog waiting patiently & happily waging it's tail when you can get back to it!

• Like 2

19richie66

I disappear all the time. Beautiful work! 

• Like 2

Johndeereelfman

Wow, 4 years since I've worked on this tractor. Still looks the same as it did since my last post. Life just got in the way. I really need to get back on this project and get it finished and complete. During the course of my four year hiatus though, my son and I have acquired the Wheel Horse dump cart, so it will eventually get restored with the tractor as well. The hubcaps that were promised to my son were too new and weren't period correct for the tractor so we told his grandpa to sell them. 

Looking forward to getting back on this little tractor soon guys. I actually have (2) John Deere round fender 110's and a first year 1966 60 lawn tractor to start restoring in the Spring so hopefully I can do all four tractors at the same time. 

Edited by Johndeereelfman
  • Like 2

Johndeereelfman

I was recently going through some old photo albums and it turns out that I did snap pictures of this RJ before dismantling it. I really didn't think I did but here they are. Sorry for the poor quality but it wasn't easy taking a picture of a picture:

20211210_202514.jpg

20211210_202550.jpg

20211210_202733.jpg

20211210_202745.jpg

20211210_202756.jpg