scotty

My hitch pin is stuck in my b-80. I was wondering if i were to use my torches where would be the best place to heat it. I was reading someone said not to heat the pin. But if you heated the case wouldnt it end up hurting the transmission split gasket?

953 nut

Put the torch away and get out the drill! @Ed Kennell did a real good post on the process some time back. He drilled a few holes in the cast iron portion of the transmission that the pin runs through, drilled to the pin, applied several shots of PB Blaster ( or whatever treatment you like best) and then was able to drive the pin out.

• Like 3

tunahead72

I'm with Dick (I wonder if this will be censored).  There's several other less drastic things you can try before you get out the torch.  Most involve PB Blaster or some other true penetrating oil (not WD40), patience, time, maybe gentle tapping with a rubber mallet.

There's several good threads on this topic here, I'll try to find one of my favorites and get back to you.

--------

The censors have lightened up, nice. :)

Edited by tunahead72
  • Like 4

tunahead72

I couldn't find the one thread I was really looking for (I think it was lost in one of the software conversions that RedSquare went through a while back), but this one's pretty good:

• Like 1

scotty

Looks like the first step is to cut the pin off flush and see if it is not just stuck in the hitch itself.

rjg854

If it as just stuck in the hitch pin itself it would still move up and down.  When I wanted to get one out, I drilled some holes in the hitch pin mount as was already suggested, then after soaking it with PB Blaster for a couple of weeks, I drilled along side of the mount and very near the edge of the pin, until the bit was almost all the way through, then drove it out with a drift pin, and many choice words.

• Like 1

scotty

I cut the pin out and got the hitch itself out of the way. It was flush with the case and the pin started to move and eventually i got it out.

• Like 2

rjg854

Congratulations, they can be a challenge :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

scotty

Ive got my brinley hitch on already now ive got to rig some sort of lift cable for it

stevasaurus

I think that is the easiest way.  Use a long pry bar in the slot hitch and get something to give.  Keep going up and down, while putting in some penetrating oil.  Once the hitch moves pretty good, cut it off with a saws-all between the trans and the hitch.  Whatever was moving will now come out...impact air chisel works great.  Now you can take the hitch by itself and drill it out, heat it, press it or do an exorcism.  :)

• Like 3

woodchuckfarmer

Used a ball joint press on Riches C-120.

• Like 1

608KEB

I used a ball joint press on my B-80. Took a little bit of time. But it came out.

CasualObserver
On 7/30/2016 at 4:28 PM, 953 nut said:

Put the torch away and get out the drill! @Ed Kennell did a real good post on the process some time back. He drilled a few holes in the cast iron portion of the transmission that the pin runs through, drilled to the pin, applied several shots of PB Blaster ( or whatever treatment you like best) and then was able to drive the pin out.

I believe this is the post Dick was referring to.....

I've also gone back and found a few other old stuck or frozen hitch pin removal topics and added some tags that will help them show up in similar topics.  Check the very bottom of this thread for similar posts. (many of them have links to each other inside them... this is a commonly discussed problem!)

This is one of the oldest and most referred to....

• Like 1