wildbill59

Substitute for SAE 140?

wildbill59

Next on my list - change the rear end fluid in my C-161. The service manual says SAE 140 (although my Intertec manual says 90w), which turns out to be just about impossible to find. The tractor has a FEL, so it won't be going very fast, nor it be running long stretches, like lawn mowing. Would it be safe to use something more common, like 85w140, or some synthetic 75w90 that I have laying around? Thanks in advance!

100_3949.JPG

• Like 2

Digger 66

I'd go with the 85/140 full synthetic from Wal-Mart . 

I've been running their SuperTech branded oils in my gearboxes / differentials for a few years now in the 4 wheeler .

It's inexpensive & meets the specs however I do change them (more) frequently (than required).

My $0.02.

My general thinking is , (even) cheap / clean oil beats expensive dirty oil , hands down .

• Like 6

Racinbob

Basically these transmissions have remained the same all the way back to the three piece case units and Wheel Horse has been all over the board as far as what they suggest. At one time they even put out a service bulletin suggesting 40w oil. I've used Valvoline 80w90 for decades with no issues but like Digger said, keeping it clean is the important thing. :)

• Like 4

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

My L107 Lawn Ranger has run 40 weight motor oil in the rear end for 49 years with no tranny issues.

MalMac

As Racinbob says, 80w90 will be just fine. This is a garden tractor transmission that is not seeing high speed or heavy weight being pulled down the road at hi-way speed. We have semis on the farm that run down the road loaded for bear that use 80w90 in them. 

rmaynard

If you are looking for plain old dino oil for the tranny, Walmart always seems to have a good price on their store brand. I use whichever is available but prefer the 85/140.

85140.jpeg8090.jpeg

Both are currently $12.60 per gallon.