Nhaydt92

C-160 battery dosent last

Nhaydt92

Hey I have a 76 C-160 that I bought on the 4th of July. I had it about a week and had to put a new battery in it, which I thought that maybe the last owner just didn't use it much. Well I went to mow the grass the other day and the new one I put in it is already dead!!! I got the wire tester out and the ciggarete lighter has power to it even when they key is off, is this correct or do I maybe have a problem with the charging system? Any help is appreciated!

rmaynard

The cigarette lighter should be on the ACC circuit, and when the key is off, there should be no power to it. I wouldn't say that there is a problem with the charging system per se, but there is something that is not right. Sounds at first glance that the problem is in the ignition switch or the way it is wired. If the ignition coil has voltage to it when the key is off, that would drain the battery quickly, and could burn up the coil.

Nhaydt92

Hmm funny you say that because right after I started this forum I figured I'd just jump it till I figure it out. Turning it over and over, decide to check for spark and there isn't any. So whoever decided to try and rewire this thing screwed it up. Oh well just another thing to fix SMH. 

KC9KAS
25 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

If the ignition coil has voltage to it when the key is off, that would drain the battery quickly, and could burn up the coil.

And fry the points!

• Like 1

squonk

Yes it's wired wrong. As I side note I had to work on a motor home years back that the battery would go dead on. Turned out the lighter element was shorted. and just resting in the socket drained enough current to kill the battery. Guy was lucky it didn't burn to the ground! 

• Like 1

Nhaydt92

Sheesh so it's in order I will be going over the whole wiring system! I don't even want to take that chance. I believe the wiring diagram is in the owners manual so it shouldn't be bad. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1