Sign in to follow this  
COMB2

Tranny dip stick

COMB2

Will the dip stick from a 516-H fit my b-80 tranny? I just need the stick not the tube. They different lengths or diameters?

dda7_1_sbl.JPG

Just noticed the other day that the b-80 I bought had no dip stick and had filled up the tube with what ever could fall in :hide:

hodge

Is that the dipstick off the unidrive of the 516? Wouldn't that be the same?

I would drain the axle, fill it with the proper amount of oil, and then put the 516 dipstick in, and see what it reads.

TT

Since the 516 is a hydro, I'm going to say it won't work.

You can check the oil level at the plug on the left rear corner of the transaxle - which is where you had to do it on all of the pre-dipstick transaxles.

If your B-80 is an 8 speed (this is why it's important to include more information about your tractor in a post) the dipstick is still available new for under $20. P/N is 101847-03

If it's a 4 speed, it shouldn't have a dipstick. :hide:

hodge

I am probably wrong, and not trying to second guess TT- but, don't the 700 series hydro's have seperate fluid for the hydro pump, and 10w30 in the unidrive? If so, wouldn't the unidrive have a similar dipstick?

TT

Most all of the hydros have a dipstick for the oil in the reduction housing/differential case, but none of them are a direct replacement for a B-80 with a gear drive transaxle.

It's pretty obvious if a transaxle is leaking, and checking the oil level on a daily basis isn't normally necessary. (if it leaks THAT bad, tear it apart and fix it.)

I'm sure I probably have a dipstick for a newer 8 speed here somewhere, but it would probably be next Christmas 'til I find it. :hide:

COMB2

It's an 8 speed

You can check the oil level at the plug on the left rear corner of the transaxle - which is where you had to do it on all of the pre-dipstick transaxles

When I change the oil in it I fill it up untill it is to the top of that fill hole but it don't read on the dip stick. I have to fill it through the tube on the top to get it to read on my stick. My friends 81' c-105 was the same way. he bought it from the original owner who said the only thing he ever replaced was the pto bearing.

Does this sound right or should it have a longed dip stick? :hide:

TT

When the 6 speed was first used in 1967, the oil fill/level plug hole was extended using a 3/8 NPT X 1" pipe nipple and a 3/8 NPT coupler. (The square head pipe plug then screws into the coupler.) This additional oil was required to adequately lubricate the high-low range assembly.

piped.jpg

If you raise the left rear tire off the floor about 1 to 1