T-Mo

Festus 401 Work Began Last Night

T-Mo

If anyone remembers "Festus", the sad sack of a 401 that I picked up via Steve via ebay.

I pulled the engine off last night and trial fitted the replacement, a K90 (see images below).  It bolted up just fine.  Now comes the real work.  The hood has been butchered and the steering support bracket that bolts between the frame and hood has been hacked upon also.  So, that bracket and hood will require a bit of feddling and welding.  I was going to just remove the hood and get her going and driving, but the way the previous owners attached that bracket the hood, it's now permanently attached.  So, I have to see what needs to be done to remove it from the hood.  Oh, well, what can you expect for $50.

577fe4ddc21c8_2007-01-0100.00.00-40.thumb.jpg.6c198ac2e261c5a973d2ba3a0e48a11e.jpg

577fe4cdc5dd6_2007-01-0100.00.00-39.thumb.jpg.62a2708567504e8f35ccc838139ba5c3.jpg

• Like 1

T-Mo

I got the hood separated from the hood support bracket, which is what I believe it's called in the parts manual.  Engine doesn't have spark, so I have to dig into that, maybe today.  The hood came apart at the grille, so someone put brackets on the inside to secure that area.  That needs to be fixed as well.

T-Mo

2016-07-30 07.46.17.jpg

2016-07-30 07.45.42.jpg

2016-07-30 07.45.29.jpg

2016-07-30 07.45.18.jpg

2016-07-30 07.45.11.jpg

• Like 1

T-Mo

Hood is stripped of all it's accessories, except the "fix" for the corner seams.  It will be pressure washed, stripped of all it's paint and holes plugged up and seams welded, plus straightened in the areas it needs it before primer and paint.

2016-07-30 10.30.39.jpg

2016-07-30 10.30.21.jpg

2016-07-30 10.29.47.jpg

2016-07-30 10.29.37.jpg

• Like 4

T-Mo

I know it seems like I have been talking to myself in this thread, but I know a few members here have visited it.  So, question of the day:  According to the information I'm finding on the K-91, it should take a RJ8C spark plug.  I bought one yesterday and the thread size is too small.  It has a Champion D21 plug in it.  Is this what should be in a K-91?

• Like 1

Abe01

I'm just going to take a shot in th dark since im not a :wh: guru, but i's it possible the threads were striped by a PO and drilled and taped?..... I did that to a Honda bike once. I down shifted going down hill :angry-banghead::angry-steamingears: and the spark plug hit me in the thigh :blink:

• Like 1

Skeeters65

I got a J19LM Champion in my K91. 

19richie66
On July 31, 2016 at 8:23 AM, T-Mo said:

I know it seems like I have been talking to myself in this thread, but I know a few members here have visited it.  So, question of the day:  According to the information I'm finding on the K-91, it should take a RJ8C spark plug.  I bought one yesterday and the thread size is too small.  It has a Champion D21 plug in it.  Is this what should be in a K-91?

I'm watching and listening  :thumbs:

clueless

The three k-91 that I can get to right now, two have champ-J17LM, the other champ-J19LM. All are 14mm thread diameter, and 9.5mm (3/8th) thread depth. Also found a NGK BM6A in the spare parts box, same diameter and depth. The new champion plugs have a R before the letters and numbers, not important unless you got a old radio on you tractor. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

wrightorchid

I kinda like that 70's purple disco vibe of the engine!!

T-Mo

Engine now is firing and it ran, just for a second or two.  Carburetor needs cleaned, and that's the next job.  But, it's good to hear this thing run, even just for a brief moment.  And it didn't make any strange noises.

• Like 4

ol550

Have a driver lined up?  Thinking you'll be working on it on the way to the meet & greet.

• Like 1

T-Mo

Engine sounds pretty good and all the gears work.  But, the more I dig into this, the more I see where previous owners butchered and jerry-rigged things, like adding a bracket to move the tensioner pulley on the drive train instead of getting a smaller belt.  Both sides of the frame has been cut for some reason.  The hood support is really messed up, I'm hoping it can be welded and fixed.  Hood has numerous holes, which needs to be plugged. It looks like one axle seal is leaking.

Oh, well.  It's a project for sure.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Looks like I wore down T-Mo and he has agreed to sell me Festus, so it will coming to this side of the state. 

Looking forward to getting it home and see what I can do with it. I work in a bodyshop, but its still gonna be a challenge! 

Want to get it running and moving under its own power first. 

I will start my own thread once its home. 

Randy

• Like 1

CasualObserver

:scratchead: Which begs the question... what has Terry set his sights on now?  Wonder.gif

• Like 1

T-Mo
17 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

:scratchead: Which begs the question... what has Terry set his sights on now?  Wonder.gif

Got a 520-H?  Just kidding.  I have my sights set on what I wanted in the first place, a 753!  After going to the Mid-Mo M&G last Saturday, drooling over Larry's 753s has me wanting one again.  A member here who is just a few miles down the road from me has one that he's agreed to trade me his 753 for my recently acquired 701 (from wh500special) and some cash.  Problem is, the more and more I look at the 701.......:ychain:

• Like 2

ACman

You buy always buy , never sell ... Well that's what I've learned in my short time in this hobby.. :lol:

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

I am thinking some wheels and tires off of the puller might look good! 

IMAG0243.jpg

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

Festus has arrived on this side of Mo! I will get a thread of his own going soon, but thought I would share a couple pics here first. 

KIMG0450.jpg

Yes, a 401 will fit in the back of a Caravan. I think a guy might get two of them in there!

I have to do some cleaning in the shop and fix a cub first then it can go in the bench. 

565 mile round trip to go get it, did I mention Terry lives in the sticks!! Not really, just no direct route to get there! Maybe this will make the meet and greet this fall. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 2

Texas Todd

That :wh: is quite the Traveler!

Hacksawhero123

The caveman that butchered up that little horse needs to be drug into the street and beaten. 

T-Mo

@RandyLittrell, it was nice meeting you.  And thanks for rescuing Festus.  The little guy will need some attention, for sure.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, T-Mo said:

@RandyLittrell, it was nice meeting you.  And thanks for rescuing Festus.  The little guy will need some attention, for sure.

The hood will be the hardest part and I think I will just take it to work with me and work on it at lunch this winter. I have the steering support I got from A-Z and the frame will be an easy fix. I will probably blow the tranny apart as well, just want to paint it one time! 

Randy

AMC RULES

:think:   Thinking it might just be...

time for a replacement hood Terry.  

Texas Todd

Whatever happened to Festus? :dunno: