Brrly1

Diesel motor - Toro 523 Dxi

Brrly1

Ok here's my million dollar question, does anyone who has or runs a diesel motor in the winter time add any fuel additive to there fuel tank in the winter time to keep the fuel from jelling or do you just leave them parked. I now have a pair of them, one that looks nice and then one that's not a nice (paint faded). Just curious as too what others have done. I'm thinking maybe just a couple ounces of the additive I add to the big truck??  Help

Wheel-N-It

Brrly, the winters here are not a severe as where you live but I still use a diesel fuel additive in the skid steer loader, and the tractor. I use the Lubrication Engineers brand. I buy it by the case and use 3oz to every 5gallons of fuel. Never had any fuel or filter problems.

• Like 1

Brrly1

Sounds good, anticipation is killer going to put a blade on the not so pretty one!! I've already put a cab on the other xi, it's a 520xi (gas)

• Like 1

tunahead72

Hey John,

I've been using Stanadyne Performance Formula in my old IH tractor for several years now, and it seems to work well.  It came highly recommended by the guy who does my big tractor services.  He used to be a mechanic at one of the IH dealers in Virginia many years ago, and I trust his judgment.  He recommended it especially for the extra lubrication it gives with low-sulfur fuel, but it also protects against gelling, among other things.

Stanadyne also has a product called Winter 1000 that's specifically designed for cold weather protection, but doesn't offer all the other benefits of the Performance Formula.

You can check out www.stanadyne.com for more information.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Booster in my 523Dxi and DC-105. Both are housed in an unheated attached garage with battery tenders. I haven't had any issues or problems. One thing I have found is to use "road" diesel fuel as opposed to off-road diesel fuel. There isn't enough turnover for the off-road fuel and can be stale. It costs a bit more but for the ten gallons or so I use a year, it is low impact on my wallet.

If you decide to put the cab on the diesel, get ready for a wind tunnel! The radiator fan moves quite a bit more air than the Kohler Command fan.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

ACman

Lucas oil products are the best , my :twocents-02cents: . They offer a wide variety of oils , cleaners , anti gel , just to name a few .

56 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

If you decide to put the cab on the diesel, get ready for a wind tunnel! The radiator fan moves quite a bit more air than the Kohler Command fan.

Our Hydro Mac ( HMI ) skid steer came with two fans . One push fan for summer , and a pull fan for winter . Kept you toasty warm in the winter . 

DennisThornton

Well, something to consider when you're reviewing great replies from those experienced forum members who absolutely know about using equipment in the winter time.  Where do they live!  What works for them may not apply to those who deal with perma-frost or 20-30 below!

Folks up here in WAY upstate NY often burn kerosene for heat because "fuel oil/real close to diesel fuel" well gel when you need the heat the most.  Otherwise their tank is inside!  Not sure about other areas but up here I gather that diesel and #2 fuel oil is often a seasonal blend, making what you bought last summer not the safest to use in Jan-Feb!  

Oh, what works?  No idea other than a kero/diesel blend, but I'm all ears!

I just wanted to point out that we might all be neighborly but we aren't all neighbors...

Xearl

Amsoil makes a few products .

DennisThornton

Perhaps I should have added the up here near the Canadian border I've heard that home heating oil, #2 fuel oil and diesel are blended for the season.  I've heard that many times but not from the "Horse's Mouth" so I don't really know.  I did have a logger here during our coldest winter who had issues and spoke with his supplier to up the "kero" in his blend so that his equipment would start.  I've also run my diesel on straight kero so I know that it will work but I'm not sure if that's a good thing to do...

squonk

I live near one of the biggest landfills in the country. Over 300 ft high. When I was working at Napa we sold them multiple pallets of Mac's brand diesel anti gell one winter. Wind chills 60 below and colder. They had to leave everything running with the rad shutters closed to keep things going:)

ACman

Grandpa sold fuel oil #1,#2,diesel, and gasoline from 1963 into the 90's . Yes there's different blends for seasons . So if you have fuel from summer that your going to use this winter , you're going to want to treat your fuel . As far as gelling of fuel , keep your tanks full and use the proper fuel additive. Are biggest problem with costumers was water in there tanks from condensation . As far as straight kerosene in a diesel ,I don't know how much lubrication properties it has for your injection pump so take that into consideration . We used diesel on the farm and #2 for heat (which fuel oil furnaces are being  phased out ) . Here in Michigan you never know what Mother Nature is going to throw at you. We keep the tractors inside and plugged in . You also have  to consider what brand engine your dealing with , a Perkings , Deutz for example start easy in cold whether compared to others . So if you take away anything from this  , is keep your fuel system clean , use it the proper addictive , plug in the heater , and keep them shelterd from the wind . My  :twocents-02cents: !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1