wildbill59

My new 854!

rjg854

I'd say it's definitely different from a stock hood to be sure, but it's not all that bad at all, someone sure put a lot of work into it.  I just wonder why?  What happened to the original hood that it was so bad it need changed?  If these tractors could only talk.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Definitely unique, great mobile workbench...

I think it's pretty cool.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher
1 hour ago, Ranger13148 said:

I'd say it's definitely different from a stock hood to be sure, but it's not all that bad at all, someone sure put a lot of work into it.  I just wonder why?  What happened to the original hood that it was so bad it need changed?  If these tractors could only talk.

I agree with Ranger13148 It would be amazing to here there story. Some we know about by having only a few owners but some ???  But Bill Enjoy it what ever you do with it. It still is a WHEELHORSE>>>>>>>>

• Like 1

T-Mo

Yes, I would put the correct hood on it, and keep that one as a memento.  I also agree with the others, the back story of the hood would be nice to know and share.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I bet that sounds amazing with no muffler unless there's one stuffed under the hood! 

Chris G

Don't quote me 100 percent. But I believe that the 854 hoods are longer then the other models such as say a 702 or 633 etc...  So if I'm remembering correctly I think a 854 hood is the only one that will work for the 854. Unless you want to do some fabrication.

I forgot to mention though. I would most definitely still keep that hood as a wall hanger. Would definitely be a cool conversation piece. 

And yes the 854 hood can be a tricky one to find. At least in my past experience of looking for one.

AMC RULES

The longer hoods were necessary...

to provide room for the 8hp's air cleaner. 

DougC
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

I agree. The hood could also be used as a coffee table, conversation piece in the living room or rec. room have cup holders mounted  and room to install a lazy Susan rotating snack tray, Have a padded seat mounted to it and become a mother-in-law mover or be a great place to mount a 30mm, chain gun to win friends and influence people...... Seriously, I like it too! A great starting point for your own custom mod!    :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tankman
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Pretty sure must have been used to deliver barbeque platters at the local picnic! :ROTF:

I guess? :think:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

100_3946.JPG1864335_0.jpg?1406670035

Wonder, if anyone else sees the resemblance...     :scratchead:

between the 854's hood & this MacKissic Mighty Mac chipper. 

• Like 3

wildbill59
17 hours ago, pullstart said:

I bet that sounds amazing with no muffler unless there's one stuffed under the hood! 

Nope, no muffler, just some 1" iron water pipe with a few elbows. And it does sound excellent - deep and throaty, without being blaring and annoying. Thanks for noticing!

8 hours ago, DougC said:

I agree. The hood could also be used as a coffee table, conversation piece in the living room or rec. room have cup holders mounted  and room to install a lazy Susan rotating snack tray, Have a padded seat mounted to it and become a mother-in-law mover or be a great place to mount a 30mm, chain gun to win friends and influence people...... Seriously, I like it too! A great starting point for your own custom mod!    :handgestures-thumbupright:

The possibilities are endless! I like the idea of winning friends and influencing people with superior firepower...;)

• Like 1

wildbill59

Thanks for all of the comments, guys! I agree - the tractor seems pretty pampered, what happened to the hood? If equipment could talk... Along with my 60s to 2000s tractor collection, I also have a couple dozen lawn mowers from the 40s to the 60s. It's cool to wonder - what was this mower's life like - take my 1951 Snappin' Turtle, for example - from being shiny and new on a dealership's showroom floor in the early 50s, to being found in a creek 60 years later?! Oh well. If anyone knows where I can find an 854 hood, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll keep using it as a mobile picnic table/work bench/mother-in-law hauler!

Edited by wildbill59

neil

Certainly different , it looks like it should have a saw blade coming through the top so that it becomes a table saw, Now that would be cool

• Like 1

Live4outdoors

I think you will soon find why the PO made a hood on your search to try to find one....there was an 854 for sale recently near me, might be easier to find a parts tractor and sell off stuff to get your money back.

DennisThornton

Maybe not aesthetically pleasing to look at but I still admire the time and effort someone went through to build some protection around their worker.  

TDF5G
On 7/29/2016 at 5:47 AM, T-Mo said:

Yes, I would put the correct hood on it, and keep that one as a memento.  I also agree with the others, the back story of the hood would be nice to know and share.

:text-yeahthat: