Stike

C175 with m18

Stike

Hello, New member but have been lurking in the shadows for a while :ph34r:. Somehow may have become a WH addict as now I have 4 of them all saved from scrap yard, list is 308- 8, c195, c175, and unknown for now had 8 horse ventricle shaft kohler blown I swapped with 14hp kawasaki. The c175 is my latest with kohler m18 but don't know if this engine can handle torque from WH pto and can't find Id tag on motor and hope some of the very knowledgeable people  here could tell me where to look and what model engine has bearings on crankshaft or if this should just be a plow/general use tractor.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

The M18 was used on a WH at one time, on the 418. I think there was a 418-8, 418A, and 418C. Only made for a year or so I think before they got into the onans and 500 series.

I dont know if they spec'd anything special for the WH versions or not, but i think it should be OK as i believe they all had bearings not bushings. Someone correct me if im wrong!

[I was wrong (big suprise!) see @pfrederi's reply below!]

Edited by bmsgaffer
corrected information.

roadapples

:WRS:

Tankman

The M18 will be just fine. Welcome to the Red Square corral, members are always Horsing around!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

KC9KAS

@Stike :WRS:

AMC RULES

:wwp:  :text-coolphotos:

jackhammer

Welcome to RedSquare - strike

I had a chance a couple years ago to buy a 418 with the mag as you have. I tested it and rode around  -- -  did that mower a big update , it was a commercial mower 418C with almost 3500 hours.

As the members above had said .  you should be happy with that . 

pfrederi

Mag 18's did  NOT have ball bearing on the cranks.  Only a very few had thrust bearings.  On most the only thing taking the end loading from a WH PTO is the tiny flange on  #23.    You need one with 24-26 if you want to use a manual PTO.  Out of many many spec numbers only the very few in the image used the trust bearing.  Electric PTO's would work on any M18

Wheel Horse only used the M18 on the 418a in 1987(i have one)  The Spec # is 24510.  When you look it up it has the trust bearing set 24-6 and is one of only 5 variants (#118) out of 182 spec #s that have them.

Thrust1.JPG

Thrust.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Stike

Thank you for the replies, the po told me he thought his grandfather had a WH dealer swap engine when the original kt17 threw a rod but was not positive, I don't want to ruin this engine using manual pto.

bmsgaffer

If the WH dealer did the swap you would hope that they used a correct spec# engine on it, but it would be good to double check! Thanks for the good info Paul!

pfrederi

The Spec and serial # should be on part #12   But it was only a sticker not stamped (like Techies and B&S).  At the moment I can't figure anyway of determining if it has the thrust bearing from the outside

CaptSpec.JPG

pfrederi

I replaced a blown KT17 in a C-175 with a very well used KT17 from a John Deere 317.  Deere didn't spec thrust bearings in their KT17s.  I picked up an electric PTO and it runs my sweeper just fine.

IMG_1632.JPG

• Like 3

TIGman

:text-welcomeconfetti:to Red Square!! 

Stike

Thanks again for the info and diagrams i'll check that tag when I get off work, but I doubt it will be legible, probably need to find electric pto and use tractor for grading till I find one.

TDF5G

Stike

Amazingly the tag is in good shape, it says model no. M18S spec no. 24500 serial no. 1527315146 any help identifying this would be much appreciated. 

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, Stike said:

Amazingly the tag is in good shape, it says model no. M18S spec no. 24500 serial no. 1527315146 any help identifying this would be much appreciated. 

Doesn't look promising

Spec 24500 is variation 400 for the crank case.  The crank case section doesn't show variation 400 as using the thrust bearing.

Thrust.JPG

variation.JPG

Checked the Kohler site 24500 is a basic engine spec, not made for any particular user.  Probably a service/replacement engine.  Sorry....

mag.JPG

WHX??
18 hours ago, Stike said:

Somehow may have become a WH addict as now I have 4 of them

You'll fit right in then

• Like 1

Stike

Thank you very much for all your help. Looks like electric pto moved to the top of my list. 

Stike

My son moving gravel in driveway with his "new" c175 and neighbors boys trying to steal my c195 and me seeing if I can upload pics. 

IMG_6026.jpg

• Like 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to Red Square. You have to watch the small boys , they are crafty, your horses maybe gone before you turn around good. 

• Like 2

Tuneup

yes, black hoods - very nice.

AMC RULES

Think I'm spying...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

another :wh: calender shot here. 

IMG_6026.thumb.jpg.15ce49f60f43f58e79b8b807d269fc28.jpg

• Like 1