Sign in to follow this  
ronscat

New Vanguard

ronscat

I really like the Vanguard V-twin on my pulling tractor (Wheelhorse) so when I found a good deal on a new 9 hp single I decided to go for it. I have had the motor sitting in the barn for about a week. My son is in the military (Air Force) and came in for the holidays yesterday. He said we should get on the motor transplant so we got on with the operation yesterday afternoon and this morning. We still have to install a pulley. We (I) didn't measure correctly for the hood grill clearance so had to do a little trimming on one side of the hood to clear the air filter. The Vanguard sheetmetal matches up pretty well with the tractor color.

COMB2

:hide:

ronscat

Here are the photos.

P1000117.jpg

P1000113.jpg

P1000112.jpg

Duff

Man, that set up looks like it was designed for that tractor. Nice work!

Figure a way to reroute the throttle cable a little more securely and she'll be purr-fekt!

Duff :hide:

ronscat

Here are a coupla more pics. I will try to get the throttle cable looking a little better when I get a new pulley tomorrow (hopefully). I am right proud of the Vanguard. She should use a whole lot less gas and be fairly stong also compared to the Kohler. I look forward to getting the old girl running again!

P1000114.jpg

P1000116.jpg

Suburban 550

Nice transplant. Looks like it was made for it. :hide:

TJ

Nice looking tractor. :hide:

MaineDad

Nice clean C-160 too!

baerpath

ronscat

Looks good I'm gonna transplant a 16hp briggs V onto a C160, as soon as I get time. :hide:

It's nice when they get home isn't it (Air Force also)

Duane

ronscat

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm doing this one for me. Recently finished a Sears for my grandson with one of those Harbor Freight motors. I guess playing with these tractors is my retirement present to myself.

Duane , sounds like you know exactly what I meant about my son coming in. Anyone who has kids in the military I'm sure feels especially proud when their loved ones get to pay a visit home. I want to say thanks to all who serve our country!!

ronscat

Hey tj4428,

Looking at your profile I noticed we could almost share the same birthday cake. My birthday is on January 4th but I was born 3 years earlier than you also in 1947. I just had on a shirt today that says: "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional". My wife bought me the shirt because she don't think I'll ever grow up. :hide:

HORSEOFCOURSE

ron, which greyhound engine did you use on the sears? i got a 6.5 on a wheel horse and it runs great. i just picked up a 11hp on clearance for about 200 w/ 2 year warranty. display model of course but so what. i am putting that in a 200 series deere and i think it is gonna work. i know some of those sears had the clutch tensioner on the motor. i got one of those tensioners laying around off from one i got rid of a while back if you need it. it was off from a round fender sears. not sure what model.oh and did that motor bolt directly to the frame of that c-160? i have some motors on those square hooded horses and had to use flat stock in older to get in in the right spot,cause the engine base was too narrow. maybe a pic from the side around the bottom? is that teh black sears in the background? :horseplay:

ronscat

HORSEOFCOURSE,

I didn't see your name, but will answer your questions. I put a 6.5hp Greyhound on a blue and white Sears. The black Sears in the background has a 6.5hp Briggs Intek on it. I had to drill new holes for both engines to fit. Suprisingly, both of them use the same size belt. I have tensioners on both so I am good to go on them. I have just come in from pulling a drag link fence with a 2x10 with spikes in it to smooth and level up the dirt lane to my house with the Greyhound Sears. It works pretty good.

OK, on the C-160 I had to cheat over to the edge of the frame rails to drill new holes to mount the new 9.0hp Vanguard. Today my son and I had to put spacers under the engine to get the 5 inch pulley to work with the belt guard. We also had to do some surgery to the belt guard to get it to clear the pulley. I wanted to speed the tractor up some was why I put a 5 inch pulley on it. I may have to drop back to about a 4.5 inch for everything to work correctly. Another thing is I am going to have to hang some weight in front of the engine to keep it from rearing up when I take off (I guess a horse is supposed to rear up - huh? :hide: ). The Vanguard is considerably lighter than the 16hp Kohler.

I can get more pics if you like.

all throttle no bottle

GET R DONE i made a raceing tractor once man did it go quitk but it only last till i wreck it :thumbs: .so you are in to pulling? iam to i love it i got a 69 raider 12 with a 25 hp kohler. the rearend hold up good with the car type spiter gears.

pull a horse wheel horse ocourse.

ronscat

I pull - somewhat. I've pulled the same Wheel Horse since 1998. We have a pull next month. I presently am running a non-stock small cubic inch Vanguard V-twin on the tractor. I'm not sure I can put a meet advertisement on here so if it's not according to Redsquare policy someone can just delete this message but eveyone is invited anway. Come on down. There should be something there of interest for everyone! :thumbs: I'm sure it will last all day. The racing and pulling will be under a mighty nice new sheltered facility. Those boys and girls on their lawnmower/ tractors will be out back in a bog hole. :whistle:

2ND ANNUAL ANTIQUE TRACTOR SHOW FEBRUARY 21, 2009 NICHOLLS GA ~WIREGRASS ARENA~ A/K/A SOUTH GA YOUTH PARK 1/4 Scale Tractor Pull,Roundtrack Racing & Mud Boggin, Antique Tractor Parade, Antique Tractor Pull,~Children's Pedal Pull~ Swap Meet/Yard Sales GATES OPEN AT 7:00 AM EVENTS START AT 9:00 AM

The forum site is: http://www.myspace.com/dixiedirtpullers

pumper.atv

16 Hp vanguard in a '63 Lawnranger