Fredski53

301 Breakerless ignition

Fredski53

Hi all, I changed the Breakerless ignition over to points. I'm only getting 6 volts to the battery. Do I need to change something else? I'm thinking stator, regular. Engine starts and runs, just won't put out 12+ volts. The reason I changed to points is, it wouldn't start with the  Breakerless. As soon as I installed the points, it started! Just won't put out 12 volts. In thinking the stator is only putting out 6 volts? Thanks, fred

N3PUY

What you did with the ignition has nothing to do with the charging.   I also did the same thing.   How do you know it is 6V that you are getting to the battery?   If you're measuring the voltage at the battery you should atleast see battery voltage of 12+ volts.   There is a test for the stator output someplace here. Check the connector at the regulator.  They rust and corrode.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

• Like 2

RubyCon1

also very good info on resistance checks on the stator

• Like 1

pfrederi

The stators on breakerless systems were different.  They had a small portion that fired the ignition system.  The charging system part was only 10 amp but works the same as any other system.  What AC voltage do you get across the two white wires coming off the stator with  engine running.