dells68

Surprise haul

AMC RULES

Hard to stop the :wh: addiction.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 4

953 nut
13 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Check out that muffler on the 953

Looks like a pneumatic system muffler!      :text-coolphotos:      The 953 looks great, but then again I am partial to them.              :handgestures-thumbupright:

tractor data lists the CG-8 as a wheel horse, new to me.

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/tractor-brands/wheelhorse/wheelhorse-lawn-tractors.html

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger!
  • Like 4

dells68

I'm happy with the 953!  Hopefully I can fix the trans if all of the parts are there, if not I'll be looking for a trans.

Craig, I'm hooked bad buddy!!!!

• Like 4

ACman

I don't know , that  little CG 8 would be a fun little cruiser for the boy ! Prefect size , and easy to drive ...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

oliver2-44

Nice haul! I like the 953

• Like 3

Lane Huls

A CG 8 is a Charger 8 with a bunch of letters chopped off pretty well.

• Like 3

TIGman

Great find Dells !!! :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Way to go !! 

• Like 3

russellmc301

good find the cg 8 looms like my a-100

• Like 3

953 nut

Emory will want that little fella too.    :ychain:

3 hours ago, dells68 said:

hadn't heard of a CG, but may see if it will run and sell it

• Like 3

dells68

Thanks for all the comments and info guys!  The CG really does remind me of the Charger 8 that my grandfather had.  Just seems slightly smaller, but not much.  I'm undecided on it now based on what you guys are saying.  It turns over great, has clean oil, and is getting gas but has no spark.  The transmission lever doesn't seem to want to pull all the way up to engage, so I bet the problem is with the belt tensioning system rather than being locked up.  I'll have to dig a little later when I get a chance.  Dang it, I've already filled that 10x26 shed I built!  I also found my grandfather's dump cart that I used to ride in as a boy and pulled my grandfather in to the country store on the corner.  Now, I've got to get it painted up to protect it.  Emory is really enjoying riding it the way it is though!

• Like 3

Pullstart
21 hours ago, Lane Huls said:

A CG 8 is a Charger 8 with a bunch of letters chopped off pretty well.

That's what I was thinking too... CharGer... 

• Like 2

953 nut
On 7/27/2016 at 4:28 PM, dells68 said:

Hopefully I can fix the trans if all of the parts are there

I just took a look at the parts lists from a 1055 and 953, The case halves, shift rails and parts related to the bull gear/differential/axles are different due to the wheel size difference. The rest of the part numbers seem to match up well so if parts are needed your options are not limited to 953/1054. Take a look at the tutorials @stevasaurus and others have posted, any two part 3 speed will give the majority of important information.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 2

TIGman

Nice thing too Dells is that it looks like you have the complete PTO system on the 953, plus the mower deck which I believe is a 48" cut. :):handgestures-thumbupright:

You did GOOD!!!!

• Like 2

dells68

Thanks guys!  I'm tickled with it.  I haven't had much time to mess with it much.  I did look at the trans and it seems like the reverse idler is locking it up.  The guy I got it from had the trans apart for some repairs.  Below are pics of the gears, something about the shift forks doesn't look right and the reverse idler seems to lock the trans up.   I'll post some pics in the trans section too if I don't see any other info to help.  Seems in pretty good shape if I can get everything back together.  When the  dif broke, it seems to have poked a quarter sized hole in the bottom of the case.  The previous owner made a plate attached with bolts tapped into the case to cover the hole.  I'm thinking of leaving the plate alone and sealing it with gasket material and permatex and put a drain plug in it kind of like the sump plate on a vw bug.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Bigfish

Im loving the look of that 953 with the round head lights. 

953 nut
4 hours ago, dells68 said:

thinking of leaving the plate alone and sealing it with gasket material and permatex and put a drain plug in it

Sort of tells part of the story behind your :wh:.

4 hours ago, Bigfish said:

loving the look of that 953

Cut that out, if too many others start buying up the 953s there won't be any left for me.   :ychain:

• Like 2

dells68

Yep Richard it had a hard life!!  It was used at a marina in Florida to pull boats around.  My guess is that it was pulling too heavy loads and busted the differential.

• Like 1