wholdguy

Sundsrand Problem

wholdguy

Hello Forum-

Our Charger 12 with the Sundstrand hydro has an intermittent problem.  Sometimes during the first 10 minutes running time the hydro will operate with a jerking motion when starting up from a stop or very slow speed while mowing the yard.  Then after about 10 minutes all is good.

I'm not sure what is happening with it.  The transmission fluid level is okay.  Could this be caused by a belt problem?  Can the belt tension be adjusted?

I don't have a manual covering the operation of this transmission.

Thanks

G.

Achto

Could be the belt. When was the filter changed last?

953 nut

Here is a Sundstrand manual for you to download. If the fluid and filter haven't been changed that would be a good place to start. NAPA 1410 filter.

• Like 1

wholdguy

Okay,

I changed fluid and filter last summer.  Napa 1410 filter and the Dexron transmission fluid.

I will take a look at the service information.

• Like 1

pfrederi

There is a spring that provides the tension on the idler pulley.  It is not adjustable.  If the spring is there and not significantly deformed I would bet you have belt issue.  Your drive pulley is held in place by a set screw and woodruff key,  that set up is pretty much bullet proof (Unlike teh splines used on the D series :(). if it fails I doubt it would work at all.

Before you spring for a new belt  if you have some belt dressing you might try applying it see if it makes it work better.  Belts sometimes grab better when they are hot which maybe why your issue goes away after warm u[p.

• Like 2

wholdguy

Okay,

I changed fluid and filter last summer.  Napa 1410 filter and the Dexron transmission fluid.

I will take a look at the service information.

I have the wheelhorse up on jack stands while the mower blades are being sharpened.  I won't be able to test out the belt tension and condition until tomorrow.

G

• Like 1

wholdguy

Okay,

I removed the belt shroud cover and took a look at the drive belt to the hydro.  Everything looked okay.  The belt fits into each pulley to the correct depth.

The tension pulley and its spring looked okay also.  So I put it all back together and put the blades back on the mower.

I ran it around the driveway this morning and the hydro is running smooth as it should.  So I think for now I will leave it all alone until the problem shows up again.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

G.

• Like 1

pfrederi

If it ain't broke...don't fix it.:P

• Like 1