tristan watson

mower deck pulley

tristan watson

could anyone please tell me where I might be able to find a replacement pulley the keyway in the one pictured below is completely rounded,

thank you

20160726_232419.jpg

moe1965

I will look and see if I have one in my box of stuff. What size deck is it off and or the diameter of the pully. 

• Like 1

tristan watson

I think it's a 42" deck but I'll double check it in the morning 

Edited by tristan watson

tristan watson

it is a 42"

wholdguy

Tristan-

I am starting to have this same problem with one of the pulleys on my 42" deck too.

Anyone know if a quick fix might be to slip a steel shim down along both sides of the shaft to lock the pulley in place??

G.

moe1965

I have one but it has a chunk out of it. It might get you by until you find another one. You can have it if you like

1469841773059493088579.jpg

• Like 1

tristan watson

man that would be great, I'll send you a message

thanks alot

Edited by tristan watson

tristan watson
11 hours ago, wholdguy said:

Tristan-

I am starting to have this same problem with one of the pulleys on my 42" deck too.

Anyone know if a quick fix might be to slip a steel shim down along both sides of the shaft to lock the pulley in place??

G.

I thought of trying that the other day but mine was to far gone, my plan was to shim both sides of the hole where the shaft goes in the pulley then cutting about a quarter inch off the shims then centering them leaving about an eighth inch on both sides then weld thought that would be the best way to fix the issue but when I went to start on that I noticed the hole on the back of my pulley was more oval shaped and I would never get it balanced anywhere near good so I just started looking for a replacement part

moe1965

send me your address and ill send it out to you

tristan watson
5 hours ago, moe1965 said:

My adress

9880 sheridan Rd

Burt, Michigan 48417

moe1965

I will try to get it in the mail monday......tuesday at the latest...jk

• Like 1

wholdguy

Tristan,  you also must make sure that the two flat sides of the shaft are in good shape or it will not seat tightly in another pulley.

I had to replace the shaft once because of this.

G.

ohiofarmer

On the Wheelhorse that I just purchased.... a 1968 electro12.  The mower that I have to assume is a factory original has a broken bottom pulley with the belt wrapped around it a bunch of turns. The forces involved stripped off the snap ring or possibly the snap ring came from somewhere else as it was lying there in the deck belt area.  I at least need the bottom pulley if not both of them. I have already located two of the oval shaped bearings/shafts for $40 each and may get them both as $40 seem like a great price for NOS repros.  The deck on this machine has grease fittings accessible through the deck and off to the side of the spindle towers. i could not locate a deck identifier number, but it is a 42" side discharge.

I will know more when I take it apart. i was also curious if a more modern center spindle would fit the 4 bolt pattern in the deck. I am assuming that the cast iron pulleys are NLA  from Toro?. The deck is in great condition overall.. If anyone knows the proper inventory number for the bearing group/shaft as well as both pulleys, that would be great.

4 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

On the Wheelhorse that I just purchased.... a 1968 electro12.  The mower that I have to assume is a factory original has a broken bottom pulley with the belt wrapped around it a bunch of turns. The forces involved stripped off the snap ring or possibly the snap ring came from somewhere else as it was lying there in the deck belt area.  I at least need the bottom pulley if not both of them. I have already located two of the oval shaped bearings/shafts for $40 each and may get them both as $40 seem like a great price for NOS repros. these were found at a backwater repair shop and the owner found them in a few minutes just because he knew where to look--no model number needed.  The deck on this machine has grease fittings accessible through the deck and off to the side of the spindle towers. i could not locate a deck identifier number, but it is a 42" side discharge.

I will know more when I take it apart. i was also curious if a more modern center spindle would fit the 4 bolt pattern in the deck. I am assuming that the cast iron pulleys are NLA  from Toro?. The deck is in great condition overall.. If anyone knows the proper inventory number for the bearing group/shaft as well as both pulleys, that would be great. Headed to the shop right now...

Edited by ohiofarmer

tristan watson
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, moe1965 said:
3 hours ago, wholdguy said:

Tristan,  you also must make sure that the two flat sides of the shaft are in good shape or it will not seat tightly in another pulley.

I had to replace the shaft once because of this.

G.

no there was nothing wrong with the shaft, I meant I was going to put the shims inside the pulley because the keyway in it was completely rounded

21 hours ago, moe1965 said:

I will try to get it in the mail monday......tuesday at the latest...jk

thanks

moe1965

it is  in good shape like new if you have the old pully send it to me i would like to try and see if i can have a friend of mine fix it    he has a machine shop and is full of ideas and can fix or come up with about any thing..

tristan watson
2 hours ago, moe1965 said:

it is  in good shape like new if you have the old pully send it to me i would like to try and see if i can have a friend of mine fix it    he has a machine shop and is full of ideas and can fix or come up with about any thing..

is this message for me or wholdguy ?

moe1965

My mistake  thought you were wondering the shape it was in.  On its way tomorrow 

tristan watson
40 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

My mistake  thought you were wondering the shape it was in.  On its way tomorrow 

ok I'll send you the bad pulley it might be fixable a buddy of mine tried welding some shims on the inside of the pulley to meet up with the shape of the shaft so it needs to be drilled out before anything can be done to it

moe1965

K.  The only thing I thought of was milling out the center and cutting in a new hole using a wire EDM machine.  

ohiofarmer

After taking it apart, I discovered my center pulley is a one piece cast iron with the double d without a keyway  the top of the spindle is threaded and a bolt holds the pulley to the spindle. I think what happened is the bolt backed out and then the mower belt wedged beneath the pulley and broke off almost the entire bottom "v" of the pulley.

As far as i know, the Toro number for the center pulley is 106847 and the outside pulleys are 106846. The outside pulley OEM Wheel horse numbers were 5877 LF6 and 5877 LF 8. I am not really sure why they have different last numbers, but that is what I read on the casting. If the OEM center pulley had numbers, they are gone when the pulley broke apart.

The fit of the original pulley to the shaft is nice and tight, so I would think that a replacement pulley would really do the job. The spindle shafts are greased by zerks and pipe fittings coming in from the sides, if that helps anyone identify this 42" deck from a 1968 electro [charger] tractor.

I found a picture of the spindle . It is the first picture on this page https://www.google.com/search?q=wheel+horse+42"+deck+variations&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG3r3dpKDOAhWLFR4KHWtJAQAQsAQIOg&biw=1266&bih=666#imgdii=VE0-DqTauaF2OM%3A%3BVE0-DqTauaF2OM%3A%3BMVNi2dgSPQK3mM%3A&imgrc=VE0-DqTauaF2OM%3A

Edited by ohiofarmer

gwest_ca

This chart will identify the spindle

After it opens select the 42" deck page and click on the 5-1421 line. The page that comes up will illustrate all the spindles that could be used with that deck.

Garry

• Like 1