DougC

YOU KNOW YOU'VE BEEN A BAD BOY WHEN.......

oliver2-44

Or...you've been bad:

When

You tell your  loving wife SHE needs to start looking for a new washing machine

Because you've already repaired the 5 year old Maytag twice and your going to let it die from the current new horrible sound it's making. 

Yes, we're going wash machine shopping tonight.

Wishing I had a Wheel Horse made washing machine!  These new appliances last about as long as a big box riding mower

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Oh my Lord!  I'm not going to enter into this conversation other than to say "I feel your pain!"  I offer no advice either!

I do hope that if you learn ANYTHING from this most trying experience that you share it with us very well intending and good yet unknowing folks.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

For those shopping for appliances just remember they sure a H are not made like they use to and you may have to take out a loan or sell one of the herd ( heaven forbid ) to pay for the D thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??

All I can say is been ther done that....good luck Doug!!

• Like 2

squonk

Tell her to vacuum the condenser once in a while! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

rmaynard

I just got a new refrigerator after our 1998 Kenmore stopped cooling. Replaced it with a Frigidaire from a big box store. It has all the features my wife liked. Then after only 4 months it developed a few problems with the ice maker. So a call to Frigidaire revealed that they don't have anyone in the Baltimore area for warranty service. WHAT THE...

Still dealing with that issue.

So my advice to you is buy a major appliance from a company that has their own warranty service staff. You may pay more, but you will have the peace of mind knowing that if you need service you will be able to get it.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 6

953 nut

Bought all new appliances four years ago when we built the new house. All of them came from the same big box (the blue one) store and bought their extended service policy on all as a package. Have had the refrigerator ice maker serviced a half dozen times; finally working right! Clothes washer, dish washer and range have all had service calls too. Built in microwave and cloths dryer are the only ones that haven't required service (yet). Too many bells and whistles on them, the electronic gizmos are the culprits, better off to stick to basic no frills stuff.   :angry-soapbox:

• Like 8

oliver2-44

Interesting, I too have had several refrigerator ice maker issues. it's an LG from that "orange" big box store. I didn't buy the extended warranty and no one will service LG in my area!

rmaynard

I bought the 5 year extended warranty, but that doesn't kick in until the end of the one year factory warranty. It's amazing that a major manufacturer such as Frigidaire/Electrolux doesn't have their own, or even contracted warranty service in a major metropolitan area. The closest authorized service facility is 125 miles away.

• Sad 1

stevebo

Maybe you should search for an oldie like I just bought last week. Got this 1950's small fridge from the original owner's son. I previously purchased a 1945 hotpoint fridge but needed wiring and trying to find a wiring diagram or anyone who is willing to work on it is like finding hens teeth. This one runs really quiet and turns water into ice if I turn it all the way up. She is just about right now in the low to mid 30's! It is in my barn/man cave with several adult beverages in there.

IMG_6969.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

• Like 6

squonk

Hospital just purchased a $4000 ice machine for the kitchen. We had to wait 5 weeks for it to show up. They had to buy lots of ice. The guys installed it on Monday and it wouldn't work. I call  an area factory authorized company for service. It's a 3 day wait and I have to provide a credit card # and Tax # in case it's not a man. defect. :rolleyes: So I give them all that and I'm not happy. The thing just sits there filling up with water and then dumps it out over and over. I decide to completely power it down, let it sit 5 min. and start it back up. WAAA-LAAA! :rolleyes: Today it had a full bin at 7:00 AM :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How hard is to wire up a 1945 Fridge. Power up the compressor 120v, fan(s) 120v thermostat in line to both of those. I bet the compressor in that baby looked like a 6 horse Tecky! 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

Digger 66
22 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Oh my Lord!  I'm not going to enter into this conversation other than to say

..... I will say : 

Being single , I have to be mad at   myself .

• Like 1

stevebo

Mike-

This one was very weird. The po had two plugs and there was a junction box. I had a few people look at it including 2 electricians and they all scratched they're heads. I ended up dropping it while moving it on the front door and denting it. Put it out on the curb for the scrap guy last night, woke up this morning and it was gone and it was not the scrap guy who was suppose to come get it....

• Like 1

squonk

He probably had it wired so the light would stay on with the door closed! :) :banana-wrench: That way he could entertain his kids trying to figure out when the light shuts off on his wife's stainless side by side. :)

WHX??

Ahhh ...a round hood! .... looks like some youngster beverages in ther as well!

IMG_6967_thumb_JPG_79f61515810b414bf8dae6a33c671a6a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DougC

Here is an update, odd as it may seem....Took the wife to the orange box store in Des Moines  because it is 30 miles closer than the blue box store in west Des Moines. There among the many horribly over priced super fancy refrigerators she found a 20.5 cu white freezer on the top on sale for less than $600. Of course it was out of stock and the sales girl ( young and very helpful......) said it would be over a month before they would be back in stock.......:no:

She then looking deep into my eyes ( :lol: )  said lets look and see if anybody else has any in stock. She found that a blue box store much farther away in west Des Moines  showed 1 in stock and advised us to just call them and buy it over the phone. (Did I also mention she was very attractive and apparently  not the least bit loyal to her orange big box employer? )

Done deal. got it bought. The last one........

They deliver to my area on Wednesdays. It was Wednesday when I bought it so............It will be delivered next Wednesday.........:no:

A 7 day wait without a working refrig. in the kitchen.....

Wife mad again .........At me..........   :lol:

• Like 2

squonk
2 hours ago, WHX7 said:

Ahhh ...a round hood! .... looks like some youngster beverages in ther as well!

IMG_6967_thumb_JPG_79f61515810b414bf8dae6a33c671a6a.jpg

He's trying to figure out how that darn light works! :banana-linedance:

Wife likes to buy the returned units. We got $800 off a Maytag washer. Big monster holds a crap load of clothes. People returned it because the Power Wash cycle takes too long. :)  Only problem I have with it is you have a pile of damp clothes hanging around becase the dryer can't do all of the clothes the washer does. :banana-blonde:

WNYPCRepair
On July 27, 2016 at 5:07 AM, squonk said:

Tell her to vacuum the condenser once in a while! :)

And stop by the appliance parts store and get the brush to clean it out

tunahead72
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:44 PM, DougC said:

... the sales girl ( young and very helpful......) ... looking deep into my eyes ( :lol: )  ... (Did I also mention she was very attractive … ? ) … Done deal. got it bought ...

I know this is a really old thread, but I've just been through a similar ordeal with our fridge, and found this information both entertaining and useful, and blah blah blah…

But frankly @DougC I just couldn't resist this...

Edited by tunahead72

The Tuul Crib

:violin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tunahead72

Really...  I've been there a couple thousand times myself. :rolleyes:

Lee1977
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:23 PM, oliver2-44 said:

Or...you've been bad:

When

You tell your  loving wife SHE needs to start looking for a new washing machine

Because you've already repaired the 5 year old Maytag twice and your going to let it die from the current new horrible sound it's making. 

Yes, we're going wash machine shopping tonight.

Wishing I had a Wheel Horse made washing machine!  These new appliances last about as long as a big box riding mower

A 5 year old Maytag was junk when you bought it.  We had a Maytag I bought for my son's apartment when he was in collage. It lasted longer then 5 years as it set in my basement 8 or 10 years before we used it at home. The motor went out, I pulled the front took a look at it pure junk, nothing like the old well built Maytags I went out and bought a Samsung top loader I sure hope it's built better then the Maytag. Its taller then the old Maytag and a lot deeper to reach inside, might be a problem for short people.

That old Maytag had destroyed the floor in the laundry room from shaking. I had to go in the basement and reinforce it.

Edited by Lee1977

Stormin

Our washing machine packed in two years ago. Can't remember the make, but was about 15yrs old. "We'll have to go and buy a new one", said SWMBO. Meaning I'll have to buy a new one. :rolleyes: "Oh no we won't", replied I. An hour later a replacement washing machine stood in the place of the old one. It's a Whirlpool. Age unknown but little used and like new. Also FREE. :handgestures-thumbup:

How come free? A friend helped a cousins widow, who was refurbishing her kitchen. All new appliances etc. The old washing machine he brought back to his farm, where I help out when needed, as he thought it to good to scrap. Phone call to see if he still had it. "Yes! Covered up in one of the barns. Come and get it." 

When up at the farm one day the following week, a retired electrician who does bit's of jobs, was there. "I wanted that washing machine for my daughter", he said. "Tough!", said I. "You should have taken it weeks ago."

What a bad boy I was. :D

• Like 1

bc.gold
On 7/26/2016 at 5:08 PM, DougC said:

When your refrigerator quits refrigerating and the wife tells you about it at 4:30 am three minutes after you have climbed out of bed, not having had any coffee yet, or had time to brush the teeth ( more than 3 in my case...) let alone become fully awake and even somewhat alert.  :no:

Upon further questioning this problem started approx. 20 hours earlier as the freezer wasn't making ice like it usually does and the fridge wasn't  as cold as normal. Turning the dial to a colder setting did not help........................................  :no:

"Why didn't you tell me yesterday so I could have called a repair man" came out of my mouth and that's when......................... Well you know how angry women get when their refrigerator stops refrigerating.    (Can't share the names I was called on this family friendly forum.)

Repair man cleaned dirt from plugged condenser, used heat gun to melt ice from evap. core and said he would be back later in the day to check frost pattern on evap core.

Diagnosis. Evap core has restriction, probably caused by compressor shrapnel from plugged dirty condenser.      Refrigerator only 5 years old........

Tomorrow I'm going shopping for a new refrigerator with an angry wife since the repair man said he could not be sure a new evap. core would not get plugged up even if he installed an in-line filter and parts and labor would be about as much as a new refrigerator..............:no:

Moral of the story is you know  you've been bad when your 5 year old refrigerator dies and inconveniences your wife who thinks it's all your fault...... :lol:   

When your in the scrap and salvage business you have to wear a few different hats, if it were me I would not allow that refrigeration technician back in my house now would I pay him  for his service call and would spread the word wide and far that others should avoid using his services.

Your evaporator coil plugged up with ice because the defrost timer packed it in, if your lucky in that your fridge uses one of the most common timers the repair is under $30.00 and the timer replacement is plug n play

If there was an obstruction in the capillary tube that feeds the evaporator there would be no frost of ice build up, The defrost timer switches from compressor run time off every six hours over to defrost to where a heating element embedded in the evaporator fins melts the frost.

Frost converted to liquid runs down a tube into a pan located at the bottom of the fridge near the compressor where the heat from the motor evaporates the liquid adding humidity into your house.

if your getting water accumulation on the inside floor of the fridge then the drain tube has become clogged with either some spilled peas or corn originating from a broken bag in the freezer compartment or a colony of mold has obstructed the drain.

A clogged drain tube is easily unblocked by blowing air into it from the bottom, a tablespoon of bleach will inhibit future growth/

Replace the timer and put the fridge in your shop to keep the refreshment of  your choice cold while your working on your wheel horse.

timer.png

timercoil.png

• Like 1